1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Look At Me! Another Fire Mike Tomlin Thread!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Dec 10, 2021.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Because people keep coming to the games and watching on TV. Why mess with that? By no means do I agree but I think on a basic level that's what it comes down to.

2. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    A true indicator of a good leader is who he has around him. Butler, Canada, Fitchner, Haley… No other teams are eager to poach/hire those guys

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Haley got another OC job after he left Pittsburgh :shrug:, Butler had opportunities to leave but he was promised the DC job after LeBeau was gone.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Haley was fired after one season. Who would want Butler now?

This is one of my other problems with Tomlin. He keeps the worst staff in Pro Football. Matt Canada wasn't even a sought after college OC. Suddenly he is the Steelers OC. Frankly he has been below the line. He has been better than Randy. But what is that really saying?

Butler is pretty much a figurehead DC. It certainly seems like Tomlin has more input into the defensive calls than Butler does.

Anyone want to know why nobody goes after Tomlin's assistants? It's because nobody wants em.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Denver went after Munchak :shrug:.

6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Tomlin had them there at the end of the game. But, no matter how much Tomlin wants he is just now going to be able to catch that ball.

Everything was done correctly at the end of the game, the play call was right, the pass was there, it was just dropped after a good hit by the defense. Not sure what more Tomlin wcould have done in that situation.

7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    This is true. But it kind of goes along with what I am saying.

First off, Munchak left for a lateral move. I'm not sure that is a very sturdy branch on Tomlin's coaching tree.

Who did Mike Tomlin hire after Munch left? Shawn Surrett, who was flat out awful. Bill Callahan was available, but Tomlin didn't even look at him. He just promoted from within. Then when Surrett sucked, he promoted from within again with Klemm. Callahan had more experience and reputation than either of those guys, and would have been a great hire when he was available. Like I said, never got a look.

Tomlin does not keep a good staff. The staff here is filled with guys that have been here, or guys that are from the area. That is no way to conduct business.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Great post STEELWINDS.

I will say this. I never knocked Tomlin for winning with Cowher's players. I think Tomlin did a great job of getting that group over the top. But Tomlin did have the luxury of inheriting players that had Cowhers discipline instilled in them. Players that had Cowher's will to win. Players who had an us against the world mentality.

Tomlin didn't win with Cowher's players. But he did win with Cowher's culture.

9. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Less than half a season leading the hapless Browns offense and away from the league since does not scream success. Meanwhile, nothing is stopping teams from hiring Butler since he ascended. I don’t think he has even sniffed an interview

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We use 2 put brains ahead of talent before. I read ,an article once about how NE, and Pittsburgh during drafting would put Brains ahead of talent more than any teams. I believe we have changed this. I've went back , and watched some of the D , and it didn't have 2 do with scheme....it had 2 do with a few guys fundamentally doing stupid stuff. Bush Edmunds, and a few times Highsmith on the plays I have re-watched.
    Now before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, or briefs whichever....yes each one of them made plays during the game , but the plays they gave up were horrible, and they should know better. Especially Edmunds because He's been in the system the longest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That all goes back Tomlin not having a team identity. On offense he takes whatever the OC gives him. Fichtner was to appease Ben but wasn't someone you really want designing your long term playbook.

BA was successful in Indy because he had a similar QB to Ben in Luck and let him go sandlot. His coach of the year award I think had more to do with the Colts pulling for their coach than BA's prowess. He parlayed it into a job in Arizona where he lacked that Ben/Luck QB and then took a break.

I honestly don't think enough teams run a true 3-4 anymore that would take Butler because that's all he's got.

12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Do you want a list or the top 3?

1.) When down 9 points unless you have a sure fire 2pt conversion play kick the extra point.

2.) On the ensuing kickoff gather your defense, rally them and preach they have to play thier man and don't lose them. Worse thing they can do is give up position and get beat but they did on Osborne TD.

3.)The final drive. Again rally your offense make them all painfully aware of the situation. No time outs, possess the ball on passes and get out of bounds. If it is complete over the middle they need to get down and get touched, get ref the ball and get lined up. Drill that thought into thier brain.

Bottom line I'm sure some will say how do you know that didn't happen or some similar POV. It wasn't just Claypool's mistake because someone else had trouble getting the ref the ball a few plays earlier. There were things that could have been done but weren't.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    THIS is the culture we need to bring back! I can’t tell you how much the end zone photo shoot sickened me last night and made my mind up once and for all that it’s time for Tomlin to move on. He’s not a bad coach but there’s absolutely no discipline with this team and there are seemingly no repercussions when players do stupid things.

How do you think (Bad word) Lebeau would have reacted to last night’s little photo shoot?

• Like Like x 3
  14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    This is what I have been reading, but I don't understand why wait until the end of the game to try the 2 point conversion.

Miss the 2 point conversion at the end of the game you lose; ask Baltimore. Miss the 2 point conversion with 12 minutes left then you have 12 minutes to score twice.

And do not even think about blaming Tomlin for that play call; that was 100% Canada. I could just see Ben doing his Shrug move to Tomlin after the Steelers ran that play; saying don't blame me for that lame ass play call.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    There isn't a 9 point play so take the 1 and then you are looking a field goal or TD to win with 12 minutes left

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    "Sorry man. Im not buying it. Mister master of second half adjustments made a poor call on the 2pt conversion. What was even worse than that was the play call."

---finally someone else noticed this. when this happened i smh and said this will cost them the game. \

all the momentum in the world was destroyed. why 2-- at 29-21 it's still a 1 score game but you have to consider the consequences of a miss, if min only gets another fg 32-20 is near fatal. if that call was that analytical bs they can shove it. that decision possibly cost pit the game.

anyway, at 29-21 in the event min did not score again[not likely] now even the biggest dopes know they must go for two to tie. puzzling move. 12 down to 11 is immeasurably more difficult.

as far as most everything else in the thread [loose play, lack of discipline etc] this stuff was called out as long as 8-10 years ago by posters. i tended to agree with them.

i take it you are referring to this
    1-10-MIN 30 (12:17) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass deep middle to J.Washington for 30 yards, TOUCHDOWN. P17 (Pass formation) TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. B.Roethlisberger pass to D.Johnson is ??complete. ATTEMPT FAILS. PIT 20 MIN 29, 3 plays, 69 yards, 1:06 drive, 2:49 elapse

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No discipline no accountability. I have been disappointed for 10 years now
    To me the Steelers have under achieved under MT.

18. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Doctor Proctor

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I'm tired of the celebrations. I didn't watch an NFL game for two years. The wokeness the over the top celebrations and on and on just got me sick. I'm old. 67 years old. Retired military. Served in two wars so I get what I am. But I am so sick of these guys celebrating every thing they do. No one has to do anything to please me and if I'm offended I simply move on. My son served two tours in Iraq and I'm damn proud of him. There's nothing you can do about these self serving narcissists so I guess I'll just move on. I used to love the NFL. Not anymore. I tried not to watch any steeler games again ever but after growing up a steelers fan I couldn't do it anymore. I used to love this website and thought it was the best steelers website ever. Now it's just bickering and look at me posts. There are some great posters here so I can't say I'll leave. I just wish we could get along and speak to one another in a friendly manner. Yeah I know I'm dreaming! Well got that off my chest. Taking the dog out to the woods to see if we can find some groundhogs. Take care

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Said it before and I'll say it again about Tomlin, he lets the natives run wild. When AB would score a TD then cause us a penalty Tomlin should have stopped that after the first time.

TBH I was on Tomlin's side for most his time here. I gave him way to mush credit for that great record the Steelers have under him. BEN MADE TOMLIN LOOK GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look what that guy in NE is doing, lost the GOAT and a year later his team has best record in AFC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm pretty much with you. It finally got to me with the AB LB = BS. I still follow the NFL but only watch the Steelers. I golf with a lot of guys in our age group and most say pretty much the same thing. We all long for the NFL of the 60's and 70's. I remember going to games as a kid in the 60's and after a TD they would shake hands with a mild celebration. That **** they do now has really soured me on the NFL.

22. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    A lot of it has to do with social media. These players now care more about their own brand and posting Tik Toks then they do about winning or their teammates. It’s not only in football either it’s all over with this generation.

All that being said mt should have been fired years ago, things are only getting worse.

23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017

1 Well, where is "there" because we ended up being the losers? What makes being "there" so significant after losing a game?

2 Where was Tomlin at the beginning of the game? Imagine if his team played for 60 minutes

3 By not getting blown out by 29 pts in the first half before gifting the masses with his genius.

24. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

Yes, it is getting bad with celebrations. I was yelling at the top of my lungs when we were losing 29 to 0 and we got the interceptions and they are running to the cameras for celebration. What the hell are you doing celebrating when your getting your ass kicked.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Reading your post was very close to how I feel as I am the same age and retired military and only watch the Steelers (Pens) on tv. ESPN is one of many channels not permitted on in my house. TV is toxic and shouldn't be allowed to watch until one demonstrates having the ability of not being brainwashed with the Jokeness that you mentioned. So Rollers, right on, and you're not alone.

• Like Like x 1