1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cap space next year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rollers, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Been hearing a lot about the cap space of 45 million next year. I'd like to know which steelers are up for new contracts next year? I'm thinking most of that cap money will be gone signing our own guys once again? If someone could explain this to me I would be appreciative. I don't think we're going to have that much money to spend on free agents.

2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Really hard to say how much. They can structure contracts and such away that they back load them and the first couple years are pretty minimal hit on the cap.
    Looks like it’s going to be the most money we’ve had available in quite some time. Now all of that it’s gonna depend on what we do at quarterback next year also. Going to be one of the more interesting off seasons in quite some time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    lot's of dead money next year as well.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The biggest focus will come down to 3 areas.

1.) Do the Steelers try to target a veteran QB, if they do, there goes all the space of what they have in a hurry.

2.) Do they want to extend Minkah Fitzpatrick for the long term

3.) Do they want to extend Dionte Johnson

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    That cap number is likely to grow as well, due to the upcoming TV deal.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That dead money is already figured in to that $43 million figure we have under the cap

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Johnson is signed through 2022. They could extend him due to him being the #1 receiver or wait but the price will go up if he has another solid season.

Fitzpatrick will be on the 5th year option which will cost 10,612 mill. I believe they will extend him.

As far as a QB who knows what their plans are.

Finally they will not be pressed up against the cap wall and will have some to spend.

10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If I am Colbert I try to extend him now. Because he has all the tools to be really good. The only one that scares me is durability. He can be a close to AB clone with his style of play. But I think he lacks the AB durability to take the big shots and not be hurt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

this is it - precisely.

Most of our bums, I really don't care to re-sign. you hit the nail on the head. No FA QB and we can bring in a few studs to fill holes, starting with ILB. Need OLINE help still. No Ben, will JuJu want a mediocre contract? No one else really to pay. this team has a lot of average to worse players.

IF we go all in in on a top FA QB, then of course, let to spend in the market.

maybe Colbert leaves, with Ben - as he has said in the past. Wish you know who would leave too.....

12. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Not for 2022. The NFLPA and owners already came to an agreement that the max for next year''s cap will be $208.5MM. This is for the owners, who wanted to recoup revenue from the attendance hits they took from COVID in 2020. Owners agreed on no adjustments to player salaries during the pandemic, which allowed the players a larger share of the COVID-impacted revenue stream. In return, both sides agreed to 'cap the cap' in 2022: compute the average annual increase over the past ~5 years and add it to the 2020 cap of $198MM, rather than the usual CBA equation of 48.8% of total revenue. This allows the owners a larger share of revenue in 2022 to comp back losses from 2020.

For 2023 and beyond, expect to see roughly 10-14% increases each year.

@STD called. You need to change that to '2'. The rest looks good.

I think they definitely extend Johnson. I wish they'd keep JuJu as well, but I think he's going to be looking for more money than that his WR2/3 role allows. Which is why I would have liked to have seen more out of Claypool this year. Ben's return definitely took volume away, but why does he continue to look so awkward on some of his catches? I think he can be very good, just seems like development took a year off with him.

Fitzpatrick is tricky. I like him, but after the Adams extension this offseason, I'm wary of what kind of money will have to be tied up in keeping him. Seattle pushed most of the money to the backend, with Adams accounting for a $23.6MM and $24.6MM cap hit over the last two years, respectively. That's a lot of money for a safety. Part of the issue for Pittsburgh is the value proposition. Big dollar contracts like that need to be buffered from younger guys playing well on rookie contracts or value signings (dumpster dives). They appear to have done better the last two drafts, but the two before that are looking poor in value right now. Free agents typically involve more money at less value, so the more holes you have to fill using them the riskier it gets.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’ll tell you what you got your **** together when it comes to the salary cap. I appreciate your insight and the information that you post on it

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Yeah, but we will be able to roll the CAP money saved this year. Right now we are 10.6 million under the cap.

15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Funny, I didn't remember that Ingram had signed a 5 year Voidable contract with the Steelers. I thought it was just a straight 1 year 4 million deal.

16. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad someone is tracking all this.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    It's only dead money the day after the Super bowl, unless they work the contracts

18. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    De nada

• Like Like x 1
  19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    the Ingram signing was a DEBACLE! Who knows who and were it was screwed up. We could be using him now for sure. I blame MT first - similarly to blaming him with the Blount screw up debacle. that said, nice that it does not cost us hardly anything.

20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    the Minkah deal is very tricky. I have said for months to BE CAREFUL. He is not a top 5 IMO, in the league. he thinks he is and I am sure some here think he is, but watch the games and other teams. He is not. He is good, very good, very talented.

But does not hit hard or much, has missed a lot of tackles this year.

Be careful - this will come down to the last day before the first game next year. He may sit out - it could get ugly.

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

1.) Depends.

2.) Without a doubt.

3.) No other option.

22. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    It should be somewhere between $50-55 million once you include the rollover from this year (depending on further signings). The cap should also go up which adds more room. If the Steelers want to, they’ll likely have room to make at least a bit of a splash. That’s not really their style though.

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I believe the rollover is already being accounted for in that 43 million number.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They get a 5th year option on Minka because he was a 1st rounder IIRC.

Dionte might want more than they're willing to give him. Probably no deal this year and play one under the tag, then hit free agency depending on how well he shows with a different QB.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    As much cap space as they have next year they have even more in 2023, estimated over $140m, albeit with only 20 players signed at this stage. There will of course be two draft classes coming in between now and then and they will do some extensions but they are still going to have a tonne of money the season after next and can use that to move money around and manipulate the cap in 2022. They can go just about any way they want with this roster.

The team is in for a big reset in the coming years. They are not usually big players in free agency but how else are they going to fill out this roster? There aren’t 15-20 guys on the current team worth re-signing. They will have to make several relatively significant free agent signings next offseason and the one after IMO

The big question is QB of course. If they bring in Rodgers by trade next offseason it limits what can be done to an extent, but it is still quite affordable IMO