1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben’s Replacement

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers '08, Dec 5, 2021.

1. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    If the O-line can build on today's performance and continue to improve, Najee becomes more effective, Ben becomes more effective, and the playbook opens up more. The running game was effective in the second half and it opened up some things for the passing game. It helped that the Ravens cornerbacks were dropping like flies.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed. However, keep in mind that Trai Turner is on a one year deal. Luckily for the Steelers, this upcoming Interior Offensive Line class is one of the strongest it has been in years. Plenty of talent and depth to choose from; Tyler Linderbaum of course being the grand prize. Seriously doubt Pittsburgh has a chance at him but there are others they can obtain.

There is also Offensive Tackle to consider. Bear in mind that, in his generation plus long history as Steelers GM, Kevin Colbert has never selected an Offensive Tackle in Round One. This could be the year to buck that trend as the 2022 class is as strong as the 2021 Class. Granted, Evan Neal is no Penei Sewell for me but the talent and depth for both classes are near identical.

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Pastor bob, you really have to lay off the communion wine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Can’t see the Patriots letting JC Jackson get away but that would be a really good free agent signing, they traded Gilmore to make room to extend Jackson. I know he had some legal troubles in 2018 but it still seems unbelievable that he went undrafted, what an absolute steal!

A CB1 would be my top priority in free agency but there is not much to get excited about after Jackson as you rightly say, it mostly older guys coming to the end.

5. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Sure as **** ain’t Rudolph before the forum forgets how trash he is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Hey, pipe down and go toss your dice.

7. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    I'd be happy with Mariota and drafting to fill one of the many other holes they have - OL, CB, DL or ILB in the 1st. Of course they can also fill some of those holes in FA since they'll actually have some cap room to play with.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Cautionary tale for those who are pimping Mariota and the likes. Another mans garbage will still be garbage in another mans can.

I give you Sam Darnold.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Either get Howell or Pickett in the draft... or sell the house for Rodgers or Wilson.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Mariota would just be a bridge to a QB they can draft.

I'm more against Rogers or Wilson, given they'll cost assets in a trade and they're older.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Brooke Pryor was on the Shelby Cassesse show on 93.7 the fan yesterday. Her take as a Steelers reporter was that they might draft Howell or Corrall since Pickett will go early. She didn't think that they will go after Rodgers or Wilson but if they pass on a QB on draft day, she thinks it is more likely they try and sign someone like Cousins or Carr.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Good God..
    Actually a Man with some sense.
    Though this is Why I said Don't be surprised if Ben left here Some other Team doesn't snatch Him up...Some teams I believe Actually listen 2 fans. LoL. They are like ....Well We don't make great decisions....What are the fans saying. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I’d actually be ok with Cousins or Carr for a couple years because I don’t think there are any “first round” QBs in the draft this year. I’d much rather take OL, ILB, CB, or even SS in the first.

14. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I’d prefer Cousin Eddie to brother Carr. Are their contracts up?

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If neither can get You 2 the SB why not just stick with the Guys you got while You fix all the holes. Be way cheaper, and allow You 2 spend money on other stuff You need till You draft Your guy

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Dilfer won. We have TJ and Minkah. Improve DL, strengthen DBs, fire every defensive coach, and winning is possible.

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    OK. Again. With what You said .....Dilfer won. Why not save money, and go with what we have until we draft a guy??? Cheaper, and We can spend more on the rest of the team.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap/2022/

Per this, Steelers will have roughly 46m of cap space to work with. I think it's definitely much wiser to find a QB via FA as a stop gap, then plug some OL/DL holes as well as the secondary. Then work the draft to fill the remaining holes.

19. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Fix the oline so even an average QB will look good.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Tomlin and company have proven that they have no business trying to develop a young QB. Name one QB the Steelers were able to develop under Tomlin that went on to do anything or even make an NFL active gameday roster after leaving Pittsburgh. There is a reason Pittsburgh likes the veteran backup QB.

So, unless they are bringing in a new coaching staff from top to bottom, they need to stay away from rookie QBs.

I would send 2 1st round picks to Houston, before I would send them to Green Bay.

I saw all I needed in the Detroit game this year to finally understand how clueless our coaching staff is about developing young QBs

21. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Why would they develop—or even spend resources on—a high-potential QB when they had Ben?

• Winner Winner x 2
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Also, whats the implication here, that another team could make Rudolph a franchise QB? I don’t think so.

• Winner Winner x 2
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Yes, When Mason came out he was rated as a 1st round QB that fell in the draft to us in the 3rd round.

If he had gone to a team without Ben and a better offensive coaching staff he would have had a better chance in developing into a starting QB.

Ben's hatred for everything Mason has always been there since Day 1. It Cost us a young promising QB and washed over into wiping out Washington's career as well. Mason had no chance of ever developing with Ben and Randy running the show. I had high hopes that Canada was going to be able to groom Mason when Ben left last year, but with Ben's un-retirement it didn't look like there was much improvement in the Detroit game this year.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Words we can all live by

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 1