1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Over the years, where do the Steelers rank? Some unbiased numbers.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RedHawk79, Dec 6, 2021.

1. RedHawk79

RedHawk79 Member

Dec 5, 2021
    My first post after lurking for years. Quick background: I've been a Steeler fan since 1965. My ideal season is 16-0, every game a blowout by halftime, and of course ending in a Super Bowl win. I think most of us would agree, though, Steeler fans have had it pretty good over the years, say compared to Bengals fans. I got to wondering "How good, compared to other perennial winners?".

Being a bit of a computer nerd and a stats and numbers geek, I decided to find out.

I downloaded into Excel the NFL standings and playoff results for every year since 1970. Using pivot tables, a little VBA, and some manual tweaking, I churned out a bunch of stats. I would often calculate actual counts (like total wins) and then also calculate percent won over games played. This gave a more accurate view of expansion teams' success. Each stat was then sorted from best to worst.

How do the Steelers compare? Even I was surprised by what I uncovered for the past 51 years since the merger.

Let's start with the obvious: Super Bowl wins: 6, tied with New England for the most, though New England has been there 11 times to the Steelers 8, which ties Dallas for second-most appearances).

Now for some other numbers along with where the Steelers rank:
    Regular season wins:
    1 - Steelers (486)
    2 - Cowboys (459) yes 27 games back!
    3 - Patriots (456)

1st place finishes:
    1 - Steelers (24)
    2 - Patriots (21)
    3 - Cowboys (20)

Fewest last-place finishes:
    1 - Steelers (1) - this is incredible over 51 years
    2 - Vikings (4) (note: Ravens only have 3 but in just 25 years)
    3 - Packers (5)

Number of playoff appearances:
    1 - Steelers (31)
    2 - Cowboys (29)
    3 - Vikings (28)

Non-losing seasons (.500 and above)
    1 - Steelers (42) - that's out of 51!
    2 - Vikings, Dolphins, Cowboys (38)
    3 - Patriots, Broncos (37)

I have several other categories in my spreadsheet and am continuing to add more as I think of them (open to suggestions). The above trend continues:

Steelers rank 1st in:
    • Average wins per season (9.6)
    • Number of divisional playoff games played (25)
    • Number of divisional playoff games won (16)
    • Number of Conference Championship games (16) [they are 2nd in Conf Champs won at 8]
    • Best worst season (5 wins) - this is the number of wins in their worst season. Every other team is at 4 or lower
    • Average standing (1.86) - this is on average what position in the division they finish. They are the only team under 2.
    If anyone is wondering whether the Noll years account for the majority of good scores, I have broken down wins for every team based on each Steeler coachs' term. If interested, I can post what I have so far, but just be warned, depending on your feelings toward Tomlin, you may be disappointed.

Personally, I was surprised at just how well the Steelers have performed over the years. (I do have breakdowns by decade but am still analyzing them - however, the Steelers are near the top). The one last-place finish in 51 years was perhaps the most surprising, especially considering that they played in a 4-team division from 1970-1994 when most divisions had 5 teams. (For context, Tampa has finished last 22 times in the 45 years)

Sorry if this got long but I hope some found it interesting. I did this purely out of curiosity and hope these numbers don't start any fights!!

• Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Thanks Steelers PR. Still doesn’t make me feel better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    great work and welcome to the board!

don’t mind the Debbie downer above me. He’s just one of our resident trolls.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. RedHawk79

RedHawk79 Member

Dec 5, 2021
    Sorry you feel that way. No PR involved. The numbers are what they are. Just numbers. They weren't meant to make you feel better. I'm no happier than anyone else about how this season is going - as I said, I want 16-0. Nonetheless, I still manage to give thanks that I am not a Lions or Jets or Browns fan.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Great first post. Welcome aboard. Now change the perfect season to 17-0

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. RedHawk79

RedHawk79 Member

Dec 5, 2021
    That's me. Always living in the past! 17-0 it is.

• Like Like x 2
  7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Good information. Very informative. Don't worry about the dot. The only thing that will make him feel better would be a lap dance from James Harrison!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bravo, well done!

Numbers don't lie. It's cold, hard fact. I know they've been a great franchise the last 50 years, but those numbers jump off the page. As far as doing further research? Tear it up! Personally, I'd love to see more.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I seriously doubt this gentleman compiled all of this data for your personal comfort. If you want that, go put on your Metcalfe jersey.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012

Solid post!

I'm hoping to be able to lean on you when I need some numbers to sort out. Welcome on in and enjoy.

This will be my bat signal! @RedHawk79

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    This is awesome, thanks for taking the time! It shows just how good we have it as Steelers fans.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I like it, keep it coming

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    As a person who is a numbers guy (mainly because they're hard to argue against) this is one of the best posts I've seen on here.

• Like Like x 3
  14. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Good job. Points out what I’ve known and that’s the Steelers are the most winning team and always in the hunt year in year out. I mean, just think about it, without the benefit of your awesome work. In my lifetime, it’s rare we’re not threatening to make the playoffs. That’s my entire life!

4rth Quarter come backs ala Ben is another one that is way up there!

Great 1st post!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Great read! Thanks for posting this.

• Like Like x 1
  16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Now I have to get my wife to show me how to make a copy of it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This should be a sticky thread where you can add to it periodically.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Great post. Numbers don't lie, but they don't tell the whole story either.
    On a macro level, these numbers show a very stable, winning franchise. On a micro level, stats can manipulate us into believing something that may not be true. For example, stats show we were one of the top teams in the league the year Tebow beat us in the playoffs. In reality, we know better.

But great post. It's good to see how much success we've had for such a long period of time

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. RedHawk79

RedHawk79 Member

Dec 5, 2021
    I appreciate the kind comments. My original goal was to answer my own questions about where the Steelers rank compared to the rest of the league, as I would often feel other teams were more successful over the long term. Shaner82 is correct, numbers don't show everything, but they are the best objective way to compare. (As for the Tebow game/year, I feel they were a good team but just blew it at the wrong time. It happens). At the very least, the numbers show that the Steelers put themselves in a position to make the playoffs year after year, and more often than most teams.

To D0bre Shunka's point about talking playoffs, I'm sure we can all think of a season where we knew the team was not good going into the year. Some even thought three wins would be a stretch, and for many of the games, the team played down to those expectations. Yet 12 games into that season, there were posts about how the team could still make the playoffs. I enjoy rooting for a team where that same 12th-week conversation has taken place almost every year for half a century.,

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    lap dance from James Harrison????????? ugh!!!!! LOL

• Like Like x 1
  21. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm struggling right now. On one hand, I'm straight as can be. On the other hand, a lap dance from one of my favourite Steelers...
    I have some soul searching to do

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The most amazing stat from this that the Steelers have finished last just once in 51 years. Incredible.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Wow! That really does put things into perspective regarding the franchises success through the years. Well done!

24. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I appreciate their past. I appreciate that there is lots in the history to appreciate. But, if you can appreciate my perspective, I would appreciate the team, moving forward, to continue to make me appreciative of what they’re doing. I appreciate their understanding of my needs and continued appreciation for winning.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. RedHawk79

RedHawk79 Member

Dec 5, 2021
    I certainly can appreciate your perspective and agree with it. To me, knowing the past serves two purposes - bragging rights, and a realization that (historically) this team is not down for long. There will certainly be some bad years at some points in the future, but, at least to date (going back 50 years), the team has never descended into years of Browns-like incompetence. Past performance never guarantees future results, but I'd rather bet on the success of the Steelers than a team like the Lions.

And of course, the bragging rights are nice when one lived for 35 years outside Cincinnati!

• Like Like x 2