1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ravens jumping offside after the 2 minute warning…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Dec 6, 2021.

1. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Tomlin defiantly would not have thought about it before now. Here's the kicker, the Steelers will be in a similar situation and Tomlin will try and replicate what the Ravens did and totally f&*k it up. Almost guaranteed

2. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Eat more clock? Because they jumped and gave the Steelers a 1st and goal they got the ball back with 1:40 or so. If they don't jump and the Steelers get a 1st on the 2nd down play and the rest plays out the same 3 straight runs with TO's that follow 1st and 2nd down. They couldn't call one on 3rd because they had to use it after the 2nd and 2 first down to stop the clock before 1st and goal, the best the Ravens could hope for was just over 50 sec. 100% on purpose great call by Harbaugh and without thinking we accept the penalty. If Mikey was smart he would have declined it but his brain does not process that fast, he thought the game was over.

Yes they wanted to hold them to a FG a TD the game is over. They rolled the dice on first and goal from the 8 instead of 2nd and 2. They won the battle of wits and had a chance to win the game because of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If that is the case and believe me I think your right why be sly about it. It's a borderline brilliant coaching move so just have everyone step into the neutral zone.

4. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    You'd have to ask Harbaugh. Maybe if he does that, he alerts the Steelers to what he's doing and they could decline it. Maybe if everyone jumps, the Steeler offense line fires and someone gets hurt for the Ravens. You'll note he had the guy uncovered at the end go offsides.

5. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    That one is going in my book of top plays the refs screwed up on. Right next to Troy's interception and fumble in the divisional round in 05 and the Jets getting screwed on a fumble call at the goal line a few years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    If Boswell kicks it OOB and the Steelers play prevent, that could be plenty for Tucker.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Blast do you remember if it was Coughlin's Giants that used to be coached to never accept that the game was over and had guys Kamakazing into the line on kneel downs or spikes to try and jar the ball lose for one last gasp? I remember fans defending it as a good move and not at all dangerous.

• Like Like x 1
  8. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea that’s why you knew they had to score a TD there and go up by either 5 or 7 points and make Tucker a non factor that final Ravens series. Had they been up only 15-13 the Ravens get the ball back get into Tucker’s range and probably win the game. Great job by Ben being aggressive there and going for the TD and not just running it on 3rd down.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I seem to remember Troy trying that on a kneel down once

10. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    If there was ever a player who could get under an attempted spike if the football I believe Troy would be that player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Definitely on purpose. It saved them a timeout for 1 down. It would've been tight but Ravens could've never got the ball back or with little to no time. If there was a 4th and inches and we went for it. Everybody knows the Steelers will do some variation of basically run, run, pass. So that's 2 timeouts. Maybe 1 timeout if rpo is dropped.

Very smart move on Harbaughs behalf. He got the ball back with over a minute and a timeout. Best case scenario really.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The fatal flaw in this logic is they could have just let them waltz into the end zone instead of jumping off sides, I seem to recall a team doing just that once.

It wasn’t on purpose but don’t let me interfere with the fantasy of Harbaugh being a mastermind coach.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Don’t remember, Thorn, wouldn’t doubt it, sounds like something Coughlin would teach.

14. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    #92 is still contributing! ;)

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I've gone back and rewatched the play and while at the time I thought it was deliberate, I'm not persuaded now.

Watch the Ravens in the first half 2 minute drill in particular, but also on that same drive - they are trying to anticipate the snap count all the time, trying to run up and hit the line in stride. On the offside, it looks very similar, but Clark just goes early. Ok, he could be doing a great acting job, but I don't see the point if there's no penalty for deliberate offsides.

Ok, it worked out alright for them. But I agree, Blast, that it wasn't coaching genius. I'd be interested how some posters would be acting if Tomlin was forced to go for 2 to win the game because he'd run out of DBs...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    You don't need to wonder about it, simply scroll ten or so pages forward and see the fan reaction to a fake field goal that knocks your kicker out for the game in the first half. It wasn't pretty.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It was the college coach that coached Tampa for a short time Greg Schiano

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don’t get it…

19. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I HATE IT!

Not sure how it could ever be proven but I would support some kind of “unsportsmanlike conduct” penalty because that is EXACTLY what it is.

It’s like “cheap pool” when a player positions the cue behind another ball for a “safety”. Totally lame and it means you can’t play fair. Take your loss like a man and not a total cheap a-hole.

p.s. edit: And in the wrong bar that kind of maneuver could have you using your health insurance card at the ER.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    That's a valid point. Very much like the Patriots turning every nuance of the rules to their advantage. Just because the rules allow it doesn't mean you need to play that way. Line up and beat your man not cheat your man.

21. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    It’s like “cheap pool” when a player positions the cue behind another ball for a “safety”. Totally lame and it means you can’t play fair. Take your loss like a man and not a total cheap a-hole.

p.s. edit: And in the wrong bar that kind of maneuver could have you using your health insurance card at the ER.[/QUOTE]

Don't know where you shoot pool, but that's how the game is played.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    You’re missing the point. It took 20 seconds to find out what the Steelers were going to do and everything went right. They had a 3rd and 5 ish. If they don’t score. Probably kick a FG and lose. Harbaughs strategy got them the ball with a 1.40 and a timeout. If we don’t get the 2 pt conversion then we lose by 1 because of how much time and timeout they had to drive the field.

2nd and 2. The odds of Steelers getting a 1st are very high. Another down means the Ravens get the ball with no timeouts. Two downs means like 50 seconds and 0 timeouts.

Maybe Steelers needing 2 helped his decision but it was definitely on purpose. I hate Harbaugh but he’s playing chess while Tomlin is playing checkers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, I’m really not missing the point.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Tomlin that you? You keep saying why not let them score. It took 20 seconds off the clock and almost held them to 3.

Not to mention the player got the green light to try to jump early. He could’ve timed it and made a play or flagged and the scenario that played out happened.

Chess >>> checkers

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Amazing you haven’t reached the point yet how ridiculous this sounds even for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1