1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Padded Practice

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    First off, I just have a feeling this is going to amount to nothing and be another embarrassment today but I’m just wondering does this mean the Steelers don’t use the number of padded practices they are allowed to use? They get a set amount I believe each season. If they are allowed to have 1 padded practice a week and they haven’t been using it, that says a lot about the product we have been witnessing on the field.

I hope they give the Ravens a game today, it’s one thing to lose, quite another to get embarrassed.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...et-his-team-know-last-week-wasnt-good-enough/

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Multiple vets have commented about practice habits. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I've mentioned this before but I hated when the owners gave into the players union's demand to regulate practice sessions. A coach shouldn't have to strategically plan how to spend his practices like a commodity.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I'd have to do some searching to see if I could find how many padded practices they've conducted thus far, but the new CBA allows only 14 during the 17-week regular season, and teams must use 11 within the first 11 weeks.

Given the way players spoke about padding up again last week, which made it seem as if they hadn't had one in awhile, I'd guess they've had 12.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    A lot of jobs where safety is a concern has stipulations in union contracts on what can and cannot be done and how often. I for one would not want management have carte blanche over safety as you cannot trust they have the labors best interests at heart, they rarely do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    A lot of vets have been around since before the new practice rules were put in place. So that transition would be tough for them to comment on. I believe the new rules have only been around for 4 or 5 years.

7. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Hard to comment on the significance of the Steelers having a padded practice without fully understanding the CBA. I get the impression though that the comments by frustrated vets about practice have more to do with a lack of focus and commitment rather than whether the practices were physical or not. Having said that, it occurs to me that if it took statements by his players to react, it makes me wonder why they saw what he didn't or doesn't

8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    We're talking practice, something that the union had no issues with until all of a sudden now or whenever this was agreed. If a team wants to perform decently, the coach needs the ability to call a practice at the level he wants at any time to prepare. This was an overreach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup, hated this part of the CBA but I’m sure the owners felt this was something they needed to give in on while standing firm on the financial end.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I look for the Rooney's to make multiple requests for several coaches to be replaced. Sorry Jerry O,
    Strength coach, OL coach, DC. You will be/should be history.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I think that was part of it, along with snipping back on anyone going too far with excessive amounts or lengths, but they could have addressed the latter in a way that wouldn't have impacted things quite so much, especially for those predicated on strong defense.

From a 2011 article:

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    How true did that turn out to be. Also, in addition to what was mentioned here, I felt when they were making JH the poster boy for illegal hits, that would also lead to the Steelers losing their identity.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    With this being a short week
    ( Thursday game against Minnesota)
    Doubt there will be any padded practices.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly...for both teams.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    practice how you play. :cool:

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I think maybe you got that backwards

• Like Like x 2
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I feel the real game changer is the crows were being physical and then the Steelers turned the tide in the 4th. The Offensive Line imposed their will and took over the trenches same as the Defense.

It was the most satisfying game game this season.

Short week and the Vikings have their backs against the wall. Hope the motivation from the 4th quarter follows the effort in Minnesota

• Like Like x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    don't think so. :cool:

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Don’t you play how do you practice?

20. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    The union got less padded practices by trading a horse with management. I hate the UFA process but that apparently was a horse trade that screwed the players. Collective bargaining can be a strange beast sometimes with unintended consequences but they have to live with them.

• Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    you practice hard you will play hard. many think they can cruise through practice and just turn it on on gameday. :cool:

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Exactly, but that’s not what your post said.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

practice like you play? do you read into that practice easy and play easy? only you would. :cool:

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Its the other way around though Mac, you play like you practice :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

No surprise then as to why that season featured three 5k passers; most all time in NFL History. I do realize there were other factors that contributed to that of course but those changes did far more to assist the passing offense than others at the time gave them credit for.

• Agree Agree x 2