1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben’s Replacement

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers '08, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    So of course Ben is retiring after the season. Heck maybe before seasons end with the way things are going. We have absolutely nobody to replace him. I can’t believe the FO hasn’t made this a priority. Do we try and draft a QB or go out and try to get a free agent? Not much out there but Russel Wilson is unhappy. He’d fit right in. We have talent in the skill positions but bad O-line and QB. What are your suggestions?

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Rebuild the trenches. Getting a QB is meaningless if he does not have time to even breathe and never mind throw the football. Stating there is paramount.

Andrew Luck is the prime example of what not to do with a Franchise QB.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    So, did you hear Ben say this? Or was this from someone who was told by someone else what they heard somewhere at some meeting that this may happen and now its expected?

4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They could go any number of directions with this.

1. Rookie in the draft of one falls to them, start with Mason and work the rookie in when he is ready. They are not going g to be chasing a championship in 2022 so they’ll have time

2. Veteran free agent to compete with Mason. Mariota, Trubisky etc. Prioritise OLine and Secondary in the draft and free agency

3. Trade for A Rodgers. I don’t hate this once they don’t give up too much

4. Combination of 1 & 2, I don’t like the idea of going in to the season with Mason as the starter

I think their preference will be to draft somebody obviously but there are other QB needy teams that have multiple first round picks. Might be difficult to get their guy in 2022

Regardless of what is on Twitter I fully expected Ben to retire in the offseason. The team is just spinning it’s wheels at the moment. Time to turn the page

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Sign Trubisky, wait for a QB when the time is right.

I agree with @AskQuestionsLater on the need to rebuild the trenches first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Imo They should start Haskins at least a couple of games to see what they have in him.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
  8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Isn't he a 103 years old:)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    There won't be a QB in the draft. Only one is first round caliber. After that they are 3rd round (even though they go in the first).

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Russell Wilson has regressed badly over the last calendar year. No way I'd pay what Seattle would want for him.

If there's no QB they like in the first round in April, I'd try to trade back and accumulate picks. This team has holes everywhere, I'd start on the lines. From all the media rumors, Tomlin wants a mobile veteran. Don't be shocked if they sign a cheaper option like Mariotta, Trubsiky, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I'm becoming more and more intrigued by Desmond Ridder and Kenny Pickett. However, I'm not sure they're first round material.

Marcus Mariota would be the first call if I were looking at FA QB's. He was solid his first two seasons in Nashville but he slid downward after that.

We aren't trading for Aaron Rodgers. Art would never part with the draft picks and he doesn't want to come here.

12. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014

Not until November of next year.

• Like Like x 1
  13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This. The OL needs a lot of work. DL depth is also weak as we've seen this season. Plus, this QB class is weak as has been thoroughly discussed as well. Not many folks believe in Rudolph, but unfortunately that's what we're likely stuck with for the next couple seasons. I wouldn't waste draft capital on any of the QBs coming out this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Same age as Ben.

• Like Like x 2
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Cool my birth month.

16. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    On that other pre game show this morning this guy said he was speaking with Tomlin and he said they are all hands on deck evaluating QBs for the up coming draft. It sounds to me they are drafting a QB in the first round.

17. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I like Pickett, but in most years he would not be first round material. Howell, maybe. It is more realistic to rebuild the D line and LBs, you can get a reasonable start on that in one draft. DBs should be addressed through trade or FA, because they just suck at drafting them.

18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I don't watch much college football so I'm not sure if I'm overreacting to Pickett's awesome play. So I don't know if he's the next great. I guess the problem is a lot of QBs light it up in college and don't always come close to that in the NFL. Even Mason Rudolph lit it up in college.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Absolutely true. But you can only pick who you think is the best one and try to develop him. Look how many times Cleveland whiffed on QBs.
    I remember hearing scouts say that Mason was the steal of the draft. This is just a thin year for doing what the Steelers need to do at QB.

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I think Pickett and Corral will be the first two QB's taken and will likely be long gone by the time the Steelers pick. I really don't think they'll draft a QB this year. I'll think they'll try to pick up a serviceable vet like others have said as a transitional guy and maybe someone that can try and push Rudolph a bit.

The offensive line and linebacker have to be priorities, whatever way they try to improve them. Really, throw a dart at the draft board for all of what they need. As far as Rodgers, hard pass. Too expensive and in my opinion, even though he's still a gifted player, he's a weirdo. That'd be easy to dismiss if his price was right, but that coupled with his age is why I don't want to see them make a deal. Maddog covered Wilson pretty well. He's taken a beating the last couple of years and unfortunately the effects are starting to show.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Same here, not a big college guy but I like what I’ve seen of Pickett. One play in the ACC championship game yesterday is an indication that he’s got an above average football IQ though. His TD run where he faked a slide and then ran in for the score was a thing of beauty. He’s a thinking player…I like that.:thumbs up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Which is why we won't get him. It would seem too perfect.

23. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    My ideal would be to sign Rodgers for a couple of years and draft Pickett so he can sit and watch during that time. Just my $.02

24. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Why the posh for a 1st round qb?Wehave a lot or wholes that need filling and God forgive me ,was not Marsha Brady a 6th round pick?Draft the best man for our needs and toss the dice on a late round q.b. unless and untilll we can get a real quality q.b....toss the dice and hope for the best .

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Nor would I with an exception. Round One I agree with; my Top 32 coming up later in the week going to be my personal thoughts. Offensive Line is a must; no exceptions. If not, focus on the Defensive side then. Round Two?! If Malik Willis is somehow there???... That actually is not a bad choice to make; Willis even being there of course. If not, BPA then.

Agree though with Mason. We are stuck with him until otherwise. As much as I would like to enter the Aaron Rodgers Sweepstakes, I seriously doubt Pittsburgh is going to be a big player in it. If anything, other areas of the team are likely to get address; some extensions as well for some players. Devin Bush is the next big topic though per Ed Bouchette of the Athletic, he is not going to receive his fifth year option; not surprising but disappointing all the same. Diontae and Minkah will also have to be dealt with. There should also be some good cap space to spend a bit in Free Agency but there are not many good targets to pick from. If anything and, call this a bit of a hunch, I expect the team to at least contact Jessie Bates III as the Tomlin/Colbert regime appear to favor players they have had contact with in college as with the likes Trai Turner or even someone like Minkah Fitzpatrick (both Colbert and Tomlin were at Bates III's Pro Day in 2018). Possibly JC Jackson though that would be quite the catch (Brandon Hunt in 2018).

Overall though, I believe that you and me both agree that the QB Class of this season is..... lackluster to say the least. Given the fact that Kenny Pickett is the only one worth taking, it would not surprise me to see him taken within the Top 15 due to the value of the position. Top 10?!?! That... would be interesting.

• Like Like x 1