1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations from the Bengals bend over

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Nov 28, 2021.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    1. Cincinnati was our daddy

2. With the exception of a precious few.... this team is soft

3. TJ Watt was activated out of desperation and had no business being out there

4. Defensive front has no discipline or containment skills

5. James Pierre was abused all game

6. Despite some of the long catches, Chase Claypool's head was not in this game

7. Pass protection was better than Ben's play would lead one to believe

8. Hang on to your hats defense....... Dalvin Cook is up next

9. I recently stated that if available, our 1st Rd pick in 2022 should be either Tyler Linderbaum at C or Jordan Davis at NT.... After today's debacle, is there any more doubt????

10. For the 3rd week in a row, one of our former defenders had a big play against us

11. Which coach is gone after the season??

• Like Like x 2
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wonder if they will "retire" Butler. I would think Jerry O and Dunbar's positions are getting warm.

3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    My observation was that even if the Steelers find a way to sneak into the playoffs, they probably shouldn't

• Winner Winner x 4
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Love to know what is going on in the minds of the front office. Some bad luck is involved but they made some decisions that are biting them in the ass.

This time last year we were 11-0, since then we pretty much sucked:( This off season could set the tone for years to come. The draft will tell us what their thinking. Gonna be interesting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Firstly, Kevin needs to find the new QB.
    Second, he needs to get the edge rush fixed. If Watts goes down, defense is non existent. We need more and better edge rushers.
    All else is standard roster improvement in offseason.

6. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I'm just glad the Steelers didn't play today. It gave me a chance to put up some Christmas lights outside.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This game was ugly all over. Nothing more to say then that. Didn't someone post on another thread that MT said he was treating this game as a playoff game? Well, he kind of did as it was just like the Jax and Cleveland playoff games.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Butler's contract is up I believe. But that's another of Tomlin's besties so idk. Jerry O seems to always get the benefit of the doubt.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Jerry O has taken some time off, his wife recently passed.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Cook left the game with an injured shoulder, actually the Ravens are up next.

11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Wow I didn't know about that. I'm sure that will be taken into account. Maybe linebacker coaching has been disrupted with his absence.

12. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The edge isn't the problem, it is the interior d-line without Alualu and Tuitt that is the problem, then a tie between the cornerbacks and inside linebackers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    1.) For the 2021 season I agree. Changing of the guard? Not quite ready to dub them that just yet. Still have Baltimore to contend with.

2.) I am giving the likes of Green and Moore Jr the benefit of the doubt. The fact that they have not completely capsized like Devin Bush is nothing short of impressive given their circumstances. Even that said, hard to argue here; doubly so given how the Bengals won before.

3.) Disagree. If he is good to go, let him go. Need him to rev up to salvage whatever remains of this season.

4.) Agreed.... except that for number 4 to be 100% accurate, Cameron Heyward needs to be removed from the equation; not playing essentially. This Defensive Line is under gunned.

5.) He has had his fair share of highs and lows. Sadly, those variations tend to be extreme. Today was just another example.

6.) Chase payed too much attention to the whole rivalry aspect of the game rather than the game itself. Clearly the Bengals CBs got into his head. Even if they were not, Claypool elected to make himself the center of attention. That said, Claypool has had a disappointing season but that entire Offense has as well.

7.) Oddly enough and, reverting to my second point, in terms of pass protection, this may have been Dan Moore's best performance all season. The sack by Trey Hendrickson was more about Big Ben than Moore.

8.) Devin Bush might need this advice more than anyone else. For that matter, better have Buddy Johnson get ready.

9.) I have been in this mindset since Week 2 of the season for both players. Of the two, give me Jordan Davis as there is too many unknowns regrading the future of the Interior Defensive Line. The fact that the team attempted to trade for Fletcher Cox at the Trade Deadline is very telling regarding Stephon Tuitt. Seriously doubt this is the last the team will look at the interior of the defense either. Buggs is too inconsistent, Loudermilk still needs time and Heyward is not getting any younger. One more aspect working against Tyler is that, in the Kevin Colbert Era, the Steelers have never selected a player from Iowa.f If the team can find an Interior Defensive Lineman, Linderbaum or Darian Kinnard from Kentucky would be just fine. I just personally do not believe history is on Tyler's side though.

10.) Could be it for Butler as his contract is set to expire in 2022. Jerry O or possibly Teryl Austin will replace him. Possibly John Mitchell as well for I do not see him going on for a 29th season... though I could be wrong. Teryl Austin was initially targeted as a DC this past offseason. I would imagine that he will likely jettison as well if another opportunity presents itself unless he is promoted here assuming Keith is gone. Beyond them... maybe Will Britt or Tosin Kazeem; the only two Football Analysts on the team.

Among the points you made though @blackandgoldpatrol, point number 9 needs to be discussed A LOT MORE. As stated by some on the forum already, 2022 is not a feasible year to nab a QB..... in Round One. For that matter, getting one in Round One is delaying the inevitable in comparison to the amount of talent available on the board; Offensive Line and Defensive Line being the biggest ones for the team.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

So........???

I would say EoY?

• Like Like x 1
  15. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep about Claypool. Natural ability is high, but low football IQ apparently.

It seems if we can`t get quick pressure, the secondary is exposed and is horrible. Maybe we should blitz every down.

I also think the Bungles happen to be a horrible matchup for us. Sometimes it`s just like that. Maybe they built their team up that way on purpose, don`t know. Whatever reason I think they beat us 9 out of 10 times as stands right now.

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I’m just mystified as to where our rush D went.

It wasn’t this bad at the start of the season. It wasn’t this bad 4 games ago!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    #4 is spot on. The outside linebackers refused to set the edge. All of the linebacker play was horrid. Each of them took bad angles, didn't maintain the edge or lane containment, or simply ran themselves right out of the play. Is anyone supposed to be coaching these guys?

18. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    One can only hope....

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The outside linebackers are trying to do too much. They are crashing inside because teams are gouging the Steelers inside. Schoebert is just okay and Bush is absolutely useless. Heyward is the only defensive lineman who is good enough to be a starter in the NFL and it shows. I'm not sure what you do at this point beyond benching Bush. I don't care who has to play there. Bush needs to sit.