1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jack LHambert, Nov 28, 2021.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I would attribute these statements you made more akin to a snowballing effect than being mere poorly built. I do agree that some of the decisions clearly were not good; Hilton being the bigger loss of the two regarding Nelson. However, the rest of the Defense's regression not only stems from the loss of some pieces but also the regression of some players. Some are listed below;

Whatever happened to Devin Bush man.... just yikes. Cannot continue to play him if he literally is slow to even diagnose keys; effort being another can of worms. I despise the notion of questioning players effort as there a myriad of factors that go into such an opinion but at the bare minimum, Bush seems to have lost his edge. Cincy game planned to run at Bush and it worked. For that matter, that has been the case since the Lions debacle.

This is a year Minkah will forget for certain. By far his worst no doubt. That said, Keith Butler playing musical chairs with him did not assist much either early on... as shown here. The lack of splash plays though is concerning to say the least regarding him. I know that the corners are not helping much, if at all in some cases, but not having the immeasurable level of impact that many of us saw Minkah have in 2019 and 2020 is disappointing overall. Between Bush and Fitzpatrick though, I believe Minkah will be fine moving forward.

Isaiah Buggs is now officially the most frustrating Steelers player of 2021; regardless of the side of the ball one refers to. There are times where Buggs can easily perform his assignments well as he is capable of doing so. However, those instances are too far and few between; inconsistency being his biggest shortcoming. Stephon Tuitt is dearly missed though I believe that, including Tuitt, Heyward really is the teams only capable Interior Defensive Lineman. Never mind a QB early in the draft. Pencil Jordan Davis in for a possible option as well as Tuitt's inability to stay healthy has been an unfortunate hall mark of his career here.

James Pierre...... give him another year or...??? No seriously, Pierre had been doing okay for a while but sadly he is still in the phase of learning how to play the position. Growing pains have been severe for him and it is fair to question if the team is going to opt for either a high priced CB option or draft one as early as possible in 2022.

I could go over more but the overall point remains; too many setbacks lead to this spiraling out of control. The overall miscommunication on the defense all season, players not living up to their abilities; regressing in some cases and the growing pains associated with new players is a major factor of what has been going on since the Lions game. The basics and fundamentals are only present for roughly 35% of the defense.... at best. Has to be 100% for the entire team.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Day to day stuff sure. But deciding what players to sign, that's what you hire a front office for. Jerry Jones chooses players and more often than not causes more problems, not that I'm complaining.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Sadly though... that conclusion of a decision was not just based on Art Rooney II's opinion alone. The issue stems from not having a reliable replacement for Big Ben. Mason is who he is at this point; no doubting that. Rolling the dice on Haskins is even worse.

Both the Front Office and AR2 have to take blame for not preparing for life after Big Ben. That much I do agree with. However, to say that a Front Office is purely constructed for micro management purposes with the Owner merely on the sidelines is untrue.

4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    That's one of many things that bugs me about this team. They are still stuck on that Super Bowl appearance 10 years ago with Ben and they think well he can do it again. No, time has moved on, those days aren't returning. Even the Ravens knew the days of Flacco getting them back there were over. Or how about when the Steelers won the SB in 08 and the team foolishly went out and resigned practically the whole defense thinking why, they'll be good every year! Completely foolish and out of touch. Those defenses continued to get torched. Having no true backup plan is not the answer.

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That 08 Defense though was good every year... up until 2012. Yes, 2009 was bad but that 2010 season was something else. It is a shame that a 100% healthy Troy did not participate in XLV (among other aspects) but retaining those players for another run was a good call. It is just what had happened after 2011 is what made it a bad call though in the end.

I do not believe we are going to see that from the team again regarding certain aspects of the team. Quarterback though is but of a different story. Have to remember that, after 1983, Pittsburgh spent 21 years in QB Purgatory looking for the next one; one fatal mistake included. Once a team finds that guy at that position, finding another is about as simple as the classic discovery of a needle in a haystack.

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Actually the thread is about looking at Tomlin. He's pathetic and all the Tomlin apologists are just as bad. What an embarrassing game to take my teenager to. We watched every last second of that game. When he took that timeout it was as laughable as his cliche excuses. Tell me this. Why is he so handcuffed from Pulling Roethlisberger when he obviously is choking the game away? Dude has no balls when it comes to making changes. I would have put Haskins in just to try something new. The Steeler fan in front of me and myself were calling play by play what was going to happen before the snap and I'd say we were right 75% or more of the time. What a joke of a team we've become under his so called leadership.

• Like Like x 2
  7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

Agree with your prediction Disco, just want to add at the end, that then Tomlin gets another contract extension. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah so?

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Still to suggest an owner is meddling by having input in decisions is ludicrous.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Couple things
    1-Yes it is a look at me post since their are plenty of recent Tomlin threads here to post in.

2-I agree that Ben should’ve been pulled in this game.

3-Explain to me how is Haskins getting in the game when he’s on the inactive list?

4- My wife, my son and myself went to the game against Cincinnati in Pittsburgh and that was an embarrassment too. It happens.

5- So you’re one of those guys who makes everyone sitting around you miserable? People wanna watch the game. They don’t want to hear some know it all fan’s commentary the whole game.

11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    So MYB , your no one on this site ...lol

12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Glenn can I go to the bathroom?

13. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

For Gods sake he can't even bench Ben. That's how bad his hands are tied and even if he had the sharpest knife in the world he would do anything to try and free himself. The guy doesn't ruffle any feathers and the team knows there are no repercussions if they don't perform well.

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We’ll we don’t really know for sure what decisions Art2 makes. But that’s the joy of owning a business and being the President. You can make decisions when you so choose. If you owned a business you’d overrule your employees if you felt it necessary.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No hold it.

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It’s a message board. If you don’t want someone to comment on your posts then send a private message.

17. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    hall-pass-show-me-your-hall-pass.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm sure I would. But I'd want to believe that I wouldn't be so out of touch as to knowing what my business truly needed. And not just constantly trying to relive the past.

19. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    [​IMG]

20. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    1. OK

2. What's Tomlin afraid of?

3. Didn't know that. I called for Rudolph. My son called for Dobbs. We could have put in one of those Bengal Cheerleaders for all I care. Ben was horrible all game long.

4. Happens too often lately.

5. I wasn't screaming. Just the guy in front of me and I face palming in a low tone voice all game long. I even said Here comes Mixon running right at Bush and he instantly said for 9 yards. Next thing you know. 2nd and 1. It was all game like that. We were disgusted, frustrated and laughing our asses off about how predictable this team is. Worst game from the Steelers I've ever witnessed live. Drunken Bengal fans didn't help that at all.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I actually hate going to away games cause opposing fans can be pretty bad. I still do it, but sometimes it’s not all that much fun.

Also tell your kid that Dobbs is on IR.

Hey the game sucked, but nothing like spending time with your kid on something you both love?

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Someone needs some attention.

23. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I know I’ve only been watching pro football for 40 years but would it be crazy to think if half want the d’ coordinator fired and the other half want the o coordinator fired … and both units suck…. Pretty sure that means its the head coach that should be fired.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Maybe OU will break the bank and go after Tomlin, ...lol

25. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Bengals fans were falling down drunk before kickoff. We had nosebleed seats 3 rows from the top of the Stadium and left 1/2 way thru the 1st quarter cause a drunk Bengal fan wanted to fight a Steelers fan and they both screamed the F bomb 50 times at least to each other separated by only 15 feet of seats.

We left that and walked right into 2 open seats in the Club level. So much more civility down there. A world of difference. No drunks like at the top. Thought we would be kicked out but nobody showed at those seats thankfully.

I just told my son Dobbs is on IR. LOL. You'd figure my ignorant self would know that. Spending every last tick of the clock during this miserable game with him. Priceless! Told him that his Grandpa did the same to me during a 59-0 Pitt loss at home. We never leave til the game is over no matter what. A Bengal fan said the same thing to his kids who were thoroughly bored at the end.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1