1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

"Disappointing" Chase

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Nov 17, 2021.

1. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    To me it's not simply about Claypool. What's a WR to do when he has a step or two on a DB when the ball is under thrown by the QB's?

Underthrown balls are on the QB and not the WR. I just think that professional QB's should be hitting open WR's in stride more often than not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This is mostly on the QB play and not Claypool. There are some things he can be doing better but a lot of it is being over stated.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think you get him a competent QB you will see different results.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ok....Not a one of You has explained why it's only Him that Jumps 2 catch the ball, and not all those are on balls Going down the sideline. You do know he has been thrown passes besides down the sideline. Geez , and He still jumps.. Also it's funny since Y'all act like I'm just talking about deep passes, and You can look this up. The most incomplete deep passes down the sideline for the last 2 years are 2 Claypool...the tallest Wrs on the field. Yet DJ doesn't have this problem. LoL. Yeah it's all Ben, or Mason, or...
    Yet only Claypool has 2 turn back 2 the ball, and Jump 90% of the balls, and None of the other receiver have this problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    It amazes me when you go back and look at film at how many times he has given up on plays, isn't fighting for the ball and doesn't run out his routes. I'm truly hoping this isn't Plaxico 2.0. He has amazing potential. I watched him play at Notre Dame, he has special talent as we've seen in the past. But he really has been a disappointment this year. Lets hope he comes back and turns it around.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Obviously I'm not going to put words in anyone else's mouth, but I alluded to the QB situation hampering Claypool's development, so maybe some of my reasoning knocks on the same door as theirs... I think Claypool has his strengths and weaknesses. Right now with the limitations to our deep-pass game - part young/experienced line, part Ben's accuracy/depth, part fear of Ben being retired to a nursing home via sack while waiting for the receiver to get open - Claypool hasn't had the focus to refine his game that comes with increased targets.

It's similar to keeping a hitting prospect in the minors until you're ready to give him consistent ABs in the bigs - bringing them up too early to sit the bench waiting for the occasional pinch hit/day off start can stunt their development.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Chase Claypool's play is a combination of two aspects; his own lack of consistency and the QB play associated with it. I was under the impression that ball tracking and situational awareness would be two keys for him to better himself heading into Year Two as those shortcomings were his biggest since coming out of Notre Dame. However, while he has shown he has improved in that area, said improvements are too inconsistent for him to actually make an impact. That said... he alone is not to blame for this. Big Ben's arm sadly is not what it once was and teams have been keying in on that since the Week 12 loss to the Football Team one year ago. If anything, teams are even more aggressive than last season.

Overall, one is left with a conundrum of sorts; Chase Claypool's inconsistencies are only going to be magnified by the QB Play he is currently dealing with. An unfortunate situation for him but he needs to become more consistent as a whole. Otherwise, expect more inconsistency moving forward.

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I can’t blame the qb ... I never saw Chase outrun anybody deep.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    He's a monster in the slot, not so much outside. Didn't show the ability to consistently stack CBs in college, not sure they're trying to make him something he's not.

You can't make a career out of 50/50 balls in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Did you ever see Hines Ward out run anybody deep? Yet did you ever seen him brought down from behind?

11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I have to see it to believe that he would be a monster in the slot. I don't think he has the hands to be great there or if he runs routes good enough for the slot. He is more a tight end type receiver. He does jump when not needed to at times. Still say lack of practice and off season workouts. He hasn't improved from last year and if anything got worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Remember, there was talk of him being converted to TE pre-draft. He played an entire season at ND from the slot.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/10/c...you-put-me-inside-its-a-mismatch-for-offense/

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/09/p...pool-best-suited-to-play-initially-from-slot/

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

Slot receivers and QB need to be on the same page, don't see Chase and Ben on the same page much. He would be a mismatch for defenses in the slot but I would hate to see him jump for passes when he shouldn't in the slot. Most slot receivers have better hands and can turn, cut on a dime, thats not Chases strengths.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’d tend to agree with this.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ward would get open down field from time to time. He was an expert route runner.

Chase would benefit by learning to do the same.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Funny how Claypool was killing it before Ben fell to pieces last year, but no, the QB has nothing to do with that lol.

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He still killing it. See I can actually look past the Qb...
    I never said He sucks ...Hell E. Sanders is still like that(guess Ben's fault) doesn't mean He Sucks It means they won't Be Ab, J. Rice type guys....Still doesn't change one bit while he was killing it He was jumping for 90% of the pass when he didn't have 2.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    DJ gets plenty of separation. He’s been among the best in the league at separating since he got here. However, his hands are not the most reliable (though a bit better this year), and he’s so easy to tackle that even Teddy Bridgewater can dump him on his butt.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The post you originally quoted me in I said Claypool has things to work on :shrug:

• Like Like x 1