1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cautionary tale selecting QB’s

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Doesn't the NBA have some kind of rule that one player can only make a maximum percentage of the cap? Considering one elite player can take a mediocre team and turn them into a contender. Much like a top QB.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    While you have to have a strong arm to be an NFL QB, there are so many other skill sets
    needed
    !. Process coverages quickly accurately.
    2. Be an accurate passer. tight windows.
    3. Team leader./Student of the game.
    4. Can make all the throws
    5 Mobility to work the pocket while your eyes are down field.
    6. Mac Jones does not have a cannon, yet he is having a pretty good year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree. Also, you’ve nailed the important aspect of mobility. So many fans want a QB who can outrun DBs, but it’s exceedingly rare to find someone who has that degree of athleticism coupled with the mental traits necessary to succeed in the NFL. Give me intelligence, accuracy and timing, with a good enough arm to make all of the throws, and enough mobility to work the pocket as a passer and threaten on scrambles and occasional designed QB runs in specific situations (like near the goal line). Mac Jones was my favorite QB in the draft last year.

However, so far I’m not seeing enough of those traits in Sam Howell. Too much 1 read and go for me to be comfortable dropping a 1st rounder on him. I’ll certainly be watching more of him though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m aware. When I say he has better arm, I mean he can make all the throws. His accuracy is not even questionable. He throws over 45 passes a game with nearly 71% complete and only 7 INTs to 28 TDs.

His biggest weakness coming into the season was staring down his primary target but I think he’s moved past that. He’s pacing to have 4 WRs and 1 TE over 500 yards this year. That’s very rare in college.

I expect his stock will rise leading up to the draft. Seems like everyone is sleeping on him right now. Could be his conference, the lack of mobility, or the knee issue. But I don’t think it should matter since running is not a big part of his game yet he’s still crafty in the pocket. All that said, I wouldn’t be upset if he ends up here

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m not sure but the NFL should definitely look into something about how much of the cap a QB takes up once he gets paid.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The next Steelers franchise QB is just a few short years away. I hear they've been really high on this running QB from John Jefferson Junior High is Southern Georgia.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    next season will be interesting anyway with colbert retiring so it will be a tough call as to which way they go. he has said he will make the picks before he retires. that alone is just unfathomable to me. very egotistical. i wouldn't want to be the next GM and not have a say. :cool:

8. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    If you believe the reports, Tomlin wants a mobile, non-rookie QB. He also made a snide comment about the game plan for Mason being the same for Ben, because Mason "doesn't run a 4.4 40".

Reading the tea leaves and looking at cheap vets around the league who fit that bill: Mariota, Jameis, Garoppolo, Brissett, Trubisky...I'm guessing we take a $15M flier on one of those jabrones and try to limp to an 8-8-1 record because The Steelers Don't Rebuild. If you want to go older, Cam or Tyrod.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i mentioned bridgewater before as well, and could add to that list. winston, tyrod taylor, are also names that may be in line and also in the money ballpark. taysom hill probably cost too much but is a free agent as well. i don't think you are to off on this one. :cool:

10. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    And then they pass on Pickett to draft a linebacker from Virginia Beach.:getsick:

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd like to see one from kent state that is too skinny to play LB in the NFL:hehehe:, or a DT from north texas. :smiley1::cool:

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Going to be an internal hire anyway so I doubt it will be a problem. The guy they are looking at may already be involved in the process.

Not Khan, there is another guy the beat writers feel is waiting in the wings. Name escapes me at the moment.

13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Word on the street is they have a 1st round grade on Trevor Lawrence's yet to be conceived son. You heard it here first.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    brandon hunt. :cool:

• Informative Informative x 1