1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin says it was an embarrassment

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Oct 18, 2021.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The Steelers getting screwed is irrelevant. The goal was to extend the game. The NFL is trying to stretch their hold on the television ratings over a longer period. The outcome of the game is insignificant.

Again, as I disclaimed before my post, this is a tinfoil hat theory.

2. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Those 2 added seconds didnt change a thing. The FG attempt would have been the last play of regulation with or without the review

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Just to clarify though: was the review for a catch and fumble vs incomplete pass, or was it whether his foot was out of bounds after the catch?

If the latter, I can sympathise more with the review.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I understand that.
    What I'm trying 2 say is that before the spike ....the refs already were saying it didn't matter because they were reviewing it. That's all I'm saying.....it could have been down to negative 1 seconds and it didn’t matter once they decided to review it and add 2 more seconds.
    That's all I'm saying.
    So why in all that review it, and add 2 more seconds???
    Why???
    I totally get what Your saying. I hope I'm explaining My correct.

5. truckin9999

Oct 16, 2011
    Supposedly to see it he went out of bounds

6. truckin9999

Oct 16, 2011
    The review was called for with 3 seconds to play. The players didnt know the review was called and did the spike play. The spike play didnt count because whistles were blown at 3 seconds.

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's the part after that moment that rankles me. You basically provided the Seahawks with a get out of jail free card. Maybe they get the spike off maybe they don't but it defies belief that people are willing to believe that all 11 men got into position and the ball got spotted correctly in let's be generous 6 or 7 seconds. But with the review and the add two seconds they didn't have to. No rushing, no getting onside, no lining up correctly in a hurry. They could get into position and get all set so the refs could place the ball and allow them the time to spike the ball. If they had done it correctly and kicked the field goal without all this other bs I'd live with it. I'd be pissed they let them get in range but it happens. Getting a mulligan by the refs with no strings I find irksome.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly....and Why ???
    All 3 answers I can come up with ...Help the seahawks .
    1. Need more time...he may not get the snap off in time...whew 1 sec that would have been close.
    2. He stepped out therefore more time.
    3. Not a catch...stops the clock more time.
    Another words...
    NO Reason Helps the Steelers...only the Seahawks

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly what I'm getting at. They end up with one second on their own....so doesn't matter, but they made dang sure it didn't matter.

10. truckin9999

Oct 16, 2011
    Just because the reasons weren't helpful or an advantage to the Steelers, doesnt mean they called it purposely to hurt the Steelers. Someone thought he stepped out of bounds. The main objective is to get the call right. Making the call to review didnt change the fact that Seattle was going to get a FG attempt with a stopped clock

11. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    You are not making sense. The guy who recovered the fumble was already getting up with 9 seconds left, the Seahawks lined up and spiked the ball with 1 second on the clock. At that point the refs said that they got the call with 3 seconds left on the clock. If it wasn’t challenged they still got the spike off.

12. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I thought it was the latter but they never clarified.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Russell Wilson comes onto the field, and there's no penalty :shrug:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    defiantly more angry at this than anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    This image is taken after the first spike. Ball has already hit the ground, 1 second left on the clock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Screenshot_20211019-102520_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20211019-102237_YouTube.jpg

Players are good to spot the ball themselves?

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Hmm… could be an illegal formation with 6 men on the LOS, and the left tackle uncovered. Both of those receivers in the left are a yard back from the LOS.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree that it was spiked with 1 second left, and I felt like the stoppage for review didn’t mean much. However, looking again at the pictures just before and just after the snap, I don’t believe that Seattle was lined up legally. Both receivers on the left side of the formation were in the backfield. That’s an illegal formation, and would have resulted in a 10 second run off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    What confused me is the new rules. (Which a lot of new rules I hate). But if they are used, be fair. I watched the falcons vs lions a couple years ago when Stafford jumped over the line and thought it was a TD. So they reviewed it and took ten seconds away (there was 9 on the clock. So they could have ran another play. But rules are rules)...... Yet for us, there was no run off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Moral of the story. Refs decide who win the games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Tomlin is an embarrassment. How about you get a gameplan together good enough to not need OT to beat a team like Seattle without Wilson? Oh no, we can't expect that so we're going to back him up on his nonsense complaint about the refs reviewing a situation they got 100% correct.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not sure that’s the case, haven’t seen this talked about anywhere but here.

This is a clip of the end of the game, 2:10 mark is the spike. Looks ok to me, who would be illegal here?

24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I was looking into the fumble rules because I was a bit confused about advancing a fumble. So in the final 2 minutes other than the defense the only player who can advance a fumble is the player who fumbled it. If another player on his team touches it and gains possession its a dead ball at the point where it's first touched. So where Swain first touches is a yard forward of where he ends up because he rolls backwards right before getting up (at the urging of Wilson in the field of play) and begins running toward where they could spot the ball. At what point did the refs decide where that should be?

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1