1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin outcoached in 4k ?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Oct 18, 2021.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    After halftime... Reporter - I talked to Pete and he says he needs to run the ball to take pressure off Geno. Reporter - I talked to Tomlin and he thinks they're going to come out throwing the ball.

Then we proceed to get the ball run down our throat for 1.5 quarters before we ever see a 5th d lineman.

What's going on? Did nobody on the coaching staff listen to Pete's halftime interview and relay the message to Tomlin? I can't be the only one that caught this.

2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think Steelers were trying to limit DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett, they are one the best 1-2 WR combos in the NFL and it showed.
    They are two fantasy studs, and they didn't do much.

Probably a reason they got gashed really bad by Alex Collins in the running game.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

One would think this is plainly obvious even to the dimmest of bulbs, but apparently not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I get this. But halftime adjustments. Pete told the world he's going to run the ball and he did so for 1.5 quarters before we saw an adjustment from Tomlin. That 1st drive alone would've been enough from me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don’t believe anything I hear from coaches in interviews. Why would they tell anyone what they are really going to do?

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    no tuitt or alaulu and this will be a long year of stopping the run. Bush is a pansy, plays on ice skates. Minkah won't hit, no way I pay him big bucks. And O'lay Edmunds, that GOD he will be gone next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    One of the big debates on here is Tomlins halftime adjustments. This is as much proof as you're ever going to get in this type of thing.

Pete - I'm running it.

Tomlin - They're throwing it.

Reality - Runs it down our throats for most of the 2nd half.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What is Tommy coaching races now? 4K?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I still don't understand why we changed offenses in the 2nd half.

Why did we let Ben go back to his shotgun formation quick passing offense in the 2nd half when Canada's offense was working the the first half?

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Network made a phone call and wanted the pending blowout to end.
    Ratings were dropping.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    In my immediate reaction of this game, I agree, we looked to be unwavering in what we do while the other team certainly exploited our defensive weaknesses in the second half. To me that's indisputable along with their D shutting down our O for the half as well. We won the first half, then they win the second with some officiating assistance and a gift strip sack by TJ in OT. Otherwise, we could be 2-4 as they had the momentum at the time. My non immediate reaction of this game is that we won and that is all that matters and I wonder how may thought we'd be .500 at the bye? Always better to go into a bye week with a fresh W to savor for the next 2 weeks vs the alternative. However, the great and mighty Stains got beech slapped at home and will be looking for payback when we take the field again. So, here is my advise to MT. Don't dust off the game plan used against Cleveland your past 15 years playing them and do some exploiting of our own. JMO>

13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    This exactly. Why would Tomlin listen to, or care what Pete Carroll says in his sideline interview at halftime? You cant make adjustments based off what the opposing coach tells a sideline reporter.

That being said, clearly defensive adjustments needed to be made faster than what they were. I think Tomlin was a lot more concerned with getting beat deep than he was with getting gashed by the run.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If the professional football players at our ILB and DB positions could tackle any better than grandmas coming in for a hug from the grandkids, our 2nd half defense would have been adequate. Yes, Wormley was overrun, and our ILBs and safeties made some idiotic decisions in deciding which gaps to attack, but even with all of that, simple tackling fundamentals would have been enough to seal the deal without the need for a field goal near the 2 minute warning or overtime.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Yeah, I don't think it was scheme. I think it was players ****ing up. They need to tackle better and we need Tuitt back.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Steel Acorn

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe Seattle changed their defensive schema and took those opportunities away - they adjusted. The shotgun offense was our response - it just didn't work. We don't have that many options.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  17. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I don't think anyone believed our run defense was as bad as it is. Seattle saw the issues in the first half and decided to test it by just running the same basic runs over and over again. That was physical domination that I have not seen since maybe Bettis's prime. Tomlin thought a 2 TD lead was enough for Seattle to abandon the run because that is exactly what he would have done if the tables were turned. The one weakness Tomlin really has shown the NFL over his many years as a head coach is he will not flinch. He will not adjust the game plan....typically when he finally does (if he does it at all) it's too late.

Most teams are not usually so blatant as Seattle was by just running off tackle over and over... I'm sure even Seattle was surprised by their success and our refusal to change anything up until they ran the ball down our throats 4 drives in a row. Frankly I think Seattle blinked and it cost them the win. We never stopped them until they tried running wide or passing. Why they started mixing it up on the last two drives is beyond me because I don't think we were stopping them even when we did adjust.

Bush btw was not the only LB getting owned... Spillane and Schobert were equally bad at shedding blocks or reading the run. That was an embarrassing display. Our secondary was also failing miserably. It's been a long time since I've seen so many missed tackles from our defense. The book was written last night on the steelers defense. I sure hope we have an answer and it's not "keep doing the same thing". Tomlin has been doing this since the Ravens exposed our offense on Dec 2nd and here we are 6 games into 2021 still trying to do the same ineffective thing. The defense has been saving us from a total collapse but I think we may have just lost that perk. The next two games are against much better running teams than Seattle. We are toast if we don't make changes on defense. Assuming of course we have anyone able to make the changes that are needed. Browns will absolutely destroy us if we don't correct the run defense.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steel Acorn

Oct 17, 2011
    Most of it was poor D-line play and runners getting into the next level, but that next level really whiffed. LBs we're poor last night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    There was one play when three of our guys whiffed and Collinsworth was heaping praise on the receiver. We had three goes to stop the guy on third down and instead they march down the field. Tackling was atrocious in the 2nd half.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Is he coming back? Does anyone know? I know we have discussed but is there anything new on that front?

21. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I heard he was practicing last week.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I get Tomlin wouldn't listen to it but I thought somebody within the organization would and possibly relay it to Tomlin. I get most the time it's just fluff. But what he said made perfect sense. They got a shaky QB and their current offensive gameplan wasn't working. Running the ball to take pressure off him and open things up made perfect sense.

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    upload_2021-10-18_12-59-17.jpeg

Tomlin’s new coaching gig

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Geno Smith is a good backup who can make all the throws. I don't think playing the run would have been a good idea. I could have seen us getting torched by Metcalf and Lockett. The real issue was guys missing tackles and our D-line other than Heyward sucking.

25. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I don't have enough time to keep you hip.

I also get why Tomlin wouldn't want to make changes after the 1st half. But I also feel like after you see their halftime adjustments and a few 1st downs. I'd sell on the run and make Geno Smith beat you with his arm up 14 points in the 2nd half. Tackles were being missed but it was also the defensive package not giving them a chance to stop the run.