1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin says it was an embarrassment

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Oct 18, 2021.

1. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, it's a huge pet peeve of mine that Tomlin looks so unaffected when things are going downhill. I was glad to see him getting fired up about what happened, for once.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    IIRC, the tv view between Swaim being down and Smith’s spike didn’t even show the full teams lining up. I couldn’t tell if Seattle was lined up correctly or anything.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Yes but the thinking is that the review was called before they got the snap off at 1 sec to help force OT. IT looked like to me the Play happened. And as they were rushing to get back to the LOS the review was called and then they snapped the ball with 1 sec left but they had already called the review. I for one have no idea why that catch would be reviewed any ways.

Also it did not look like they were set when they snapped the ball.

Lets not forget players especially Russell wilson who was inactive on the field telling the player to hurry up and get back to the LOS. Everything about what transpired was suspect and conspiracy theory or not it def had the optics of the refs trying to help seattle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Tomlin knows an embarrassment when he sees it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He spiked it with 1 second left.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah no he didn't. Everyone wants to cling to that but if he did there would have been no booth review. There was no play so he didn't spike it. Yes he did spike it eventually after being gifted two additional seconds but the first time didn't count. I am going to dig in on this until some one proves to me that they can get 11 guys lined up and unmoving in 3 seconds when you are sure where the ball is going to be placed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ZiviliSteelers

ZiviliSteelers Member

Oct 18, 2021
    One of the Steelers near the fumble should have "dove" for the fumble and end up on top of the Seahawk that recovered the fumble, the extra time for him to get off of the Seahakw player would have been enough to expire the clock. They just touched him down, make an effort for the ball and "accidently" pin the guy for a second or 2 and the game ends.

8. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

Attention to detail has never been his strong suit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I think the refs got the call at the end correct, but the review was the ridiculous part. Even if they didn't review the catch..... I have a feeling there would have been a 5 minute ref debate about if there was 0, 1, 2, 3 seconds on the clock after geno clocked the ball. It was a strange ending to the 4th, but not sure it'd qualify as the worst thing ever seen.

Biggest thing to me is the booth review took away the tempo of the game..... rushing a kicker out to the field with 1 second left and a 25 second clock with no TO's is NOT a gimme scenario. The ref review allows the kicker to be mentally prepared.... as we all know kickers can be head cases

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm not sure they even spotted the ball right for the spike that didn't count. Because it wasn't like the ref gets it from the receiver and moves it 10 ft to the center of the field it like he subtracted a few yards as well. So where is the LOS at?

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm will you if Edmunds just tries to fight with Lockett for the ball or at least lands on top of him, no way Seahawks get a snap off, but you also can't get called for Defensive Delay of Game penalty either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Tin Foil hat firmly affixed, here is my opinion.

I fully believe the NFL reviewed that play solely to make sure there was one play remaining in the game. The NFL wasn't trying to screw the Steelers. But they definitely wanted the Seahawks to have an opportunity to kick the game tying field goal and send the game to overtime. The longer the NFL can hold the audience on a Sunday night, the better it is for business. It is not a matter of the NFL caring who wins or loses a game. It is a matter of holding television ratings over a longer duration.

There is no other explanation for why you would review that play IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Russell Wilson ran on the field to tell the WR to get up quick that should've been a penalty. Metcalf made a bonehead play and should've went out. I was still more mad about two forced fumbles not recovered that would've sealed the game.

I think Tomlin was reacting to the crowd and picking his battles smartly here. Probably cool with head ref and bye week to forget it. There's been way worse calls over the years to get fired up about like the Jesse James catch. That cost them seeding and SB chance imo.

14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The over/under was 43 points. Maybe the head replay official had the over...

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Here's the picture at the moment they snap the ball:

upload_2021-10-18_20-51-49.png

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Hmm, I realise that's an unfortunate pausing moment for the referee and the guy in front of him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Exactly. The tackle is the defender's back against the receiver's, who is already on the floor with the ball. I don't tihnk there would be any way of slowing down the receiver from getting up without getting a flag, tbh.

18. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Norwood dives for the ball and misses, so ends up with his back to the receiver (you can see here he's falling to the ground where he thinks the ball should be, so no chance of a wrap up). For any of the others to dive in from where they are would have got an unnecessary roughness call, or delay of game.

upload_2021-10-18_21-0-11.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't know where you're getting 3 seconds. There's replays out there. You can go watch them if you want. From when the player grabbed the ball and ran back to get set, it was 8 seconds. It took the Seahawks 7 seconds to get set and the ball was spiked into the ground with 1 second left on the clock. The replays showed that clear as day.

There's literally nothing to argue about here. If that booth review didn't occur, the Seahawks still spiked the ball with 1 second left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    We'll leave out whether or not that's true for the official click.

It doesn't matter. The complaint is they held a review to ensure Seattle got another play. They made that decision before he even spiked the ball. And there was zero reason to review that catch... other than stopping the clock.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    But the clock would have been stopped even without the call to review. The review being called didnt change the fact that Seattle was going to have a FG chance with a stopped clock. Even after the 2nd spike, they had to set up for the FG with a running 25sec play clock.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I am really not trying to be a jerk here but how can you say in one sentence the NFL wasn't trying to screw the steelers and then the next sentence say they wanted to give the seahawks time to kick the field goal? I mean thats the textbook definition of screwing somebody right there? I mean did you really read and comprehend what you just said?

23. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    If you’ve seen Sully (Tom Hanks, plane landing in the river,…), it reminds me of that. The other pilots put in that scenario in simulators knew in advance what was going to happen. It’s different than reacting in real time.

Seattle had a TON of time to prepare, take some more practice kicks, check the wind, re-tie shoes, pray…that they shouldn’t have had.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    So you think he wasnt practicing kicks, checking the wind, and maybe doing those other things during that entire final drive? Every team I've seen trying to drive into FG range at the end of the games, has the kicker warming up on the sideline. Most of the time they even show it on tv.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly, but the refs didn't know that..the clock would only stop at the spike of the ball....nobody in the world knew they would get the spike off with only 1 second left till they did, but it didn't matter because the refs stepped in....did what they did, and added 2 more seconds.

• Agree Agree x 1