1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Roethlisberger vs Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I would almost rather see haskins and see if the light bulb has gone off in his head yet. He has a lot of raw talent but was entitled and didn't put the work in. Maybe he has been humbled some. He probably wont put it all together but there is a hell of alot more potential upside to him than to Rudolph. He would be better suited for what Canada wants to do also.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Would not be surprised if we see both before the end of the season. Haskins is certainly the more talented of the pair.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Free agency didn’t even exist back then. Derp

4. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Well, in that case the Bradshaw analogies are even more useless. Or at least less relevant.

I thought the argument was that "Yes, Rudolph struggled but that was two years ago and now he'd be better. Look what happened with Bradshaw."

So let's all forget about Bradshaw, I'll ask again, can anyone name a mid-round QB draft pick that shat the bed his first time around, but got a second chance later and turned out to be a legit NFL starter? Mid or late rounders that end up being good are usually good right from the jump. Russell Wilson, Dak, Brady, etc. Those guys were good right away. Of course, maybe that's just because mid late rounders don't get as many chances as first rounders to begin with.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    That's ok cause Duck Hodges hadn't been born yet! Derp

6. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Also he was undrafted and unsigned so even in the 70's he could have been picked up just like he was in 2019. Derp Derp LOL

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    What makes you think he can fix his accuracy? He has been missing open receivers on deep passes far more often than not since his return from elbow surgery. His accuracy on intermediate throws disappeared around midseason last year and has continued into this one. His body has broken down, which is screwing up his mechanics. He isn't suddenly going to get healthier at this age.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    The Bradshaw analogy was to illustrate that the QB position is the most difficult in all of sport and any player can struggle at times regardless of how talented they are or how much potential they have. A player being benched for being terrible does not mean they cannot improve or play better in the future regardless of draft position. I know Bradshaw and Rudolph are not directly comparable, Bradshaw had superstar potential, Mason was a project that was put in far too early for his own good.

It’s definitely not commonplace for mid or late round QB’s to be disastrous and then develop in to starters but they rarely get opportunities to start early in their careers as you have pointed out.

Again, nobody is trying to big up Mason or anoint him as some sort of saviour. Best case scenario if he has to play is that he is a game manager that can play under Center and that he won’t kill you with foolish turnovers.

I can’t see Ben playing 17 games

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Bench Ben is not a new idea. It's been happening every time he does something boneeheaded for years. Hell, some wanted him outright cut after the whole Milledgeville crap. Just throw due process out the window.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
  11. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    How is Tomlin supposed to answer that other than emphatically backing Ben? Any other reply would ramp up the fan pressure to bench him to the point where he would basically be left with no choice. No HC would be that stupid

Ben won’t be benched, at least not publicly. If they want to take him out it’ll be dressed up as an injury

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I mean supposedly he has another injury this week on top of the Pec so they are building a case. If he looks bad vs Denver and gets beat up I think this week could be the last for BB

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We should trade Mason to Cleveland before the deadline. Get a draft pick.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Ben is as tough as old boots but still, my guess is that he ends up on IR for a while, probably sooner rather than later. If things continue to be really bad on the field I think he could be quietly convinced that it’s the best thing for all parties concerned.

They certainly won’t put him through the public humiliation of benching him for Mason Rudolph. That’s just not an option. I still can’t believe the Giants benched Eli for Geno Smith that time, right before Eli was about to break a record for consecutive starts. There was no doubt Eli sucked, but it was still such a sh**y thing to do to a guy that had won them two superbowls

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Baker tossed 2 TD, and 2 Ints in the same amount of games. I don't see anyone pulling Him. Matter of Fact I just read Someone saying He was Better than anyone We got.
    Difference is. Bakers Team is really Good.
    Hell He Just won His last game with 155 yards passing...and No TDs.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    PWP was probably promoting Dixon to run the wildcat.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That was a different matter entirely. That wasn't a belief that someone else on the roster could do better. That was people believing the accusation and wanting no part of a rapist on the team. (Again, that's what they believed. I honestly have no idea what happened in that room. Neither does anybody on this board.)

You claimed that people wanted to start Jones or Dixon over them. If you were just screwing around, that's fine. No need to move the goalposts. If people really were that stupid, fine. I don't remember seeing it.

That said, this isn't any of those past situations. He's old, injured, and playing horribly. He didn't just do something stupid. He has broken down to the point that much of his talent is gone, too, and it is unlikely that will improve at his age.

I have harshly criticized him as a person, but I've defended him as a player more often than not. I've never thought he should be benched until now, but he hasn't just been bad. He's getting worse.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Right now Tomlin needs to decide between Canada and Ben; trying to be the nice guy and support both is not going to be productive.

Thread should be Roethlisberger vs Canada.

19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Honestly I don't know how these receivers are even practicing with Ben. It's gotta be so self defeating when you know what's gonna happen on Sunday.

20. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    My point was simply that some people have wanted Ben gone or benched for years. This isn't new. Take it however you want, homes.

21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I often wonder if Tomlin even has a choice. Remember who lobbied for Ben's return.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Only reason I’m not sold on an immediate switch is MR’s lack of mobility.

23. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Isn’t Ben injured now anyway?

24. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Let Ben finish the season. What would Mason do that's different that would matter? Would he win an extra game? Ok, what would that mean in the end? Not much.

Steelers will go 8-9 because that's what they do. They are a medicore team and that's a medicore record. A 9-8 record wouldn't likely get them in the playoffs and even if they did, they get bounced in the first round or for sure in the divisional round.

Steelers need to develop their young guys and get rid of the bad vets they have. That includes some names like Minkah Fitzpatrick and Ebron who are talented mental midgets. These vets set a bad precedent for all the young guys. Steelers need leaders. They have not had one in a loooooong time.

Now, the big fish, Mr Rodgers. Yes, I'm starting the campaign now. Adam Schefer has confirmed that Rodgers is not coming back to Green Bay next year. Rodgers destination preferences have been Denver because of his woman and the Niners and Raiders this last summer.

Steelers need to make him an offer he can't refuse in the off-season and the Steelers will be Tampa Bay of 2020. Everyone will flock to the Steelers and the Steelers will have a year of rookies that will be seasoned.

That's all I got on the near future for this team to have any chance of winning the big prize. Scary times may be coming if something big doesn't happen....

25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    So letting MR start gives you potentially a jump on next season. Sticking with Ben does nothing for the teams future other than sucking so bad we get a top pick.

Aaron Rodgers isn't coming here. This notion that all these players would flock here just like they did for Brady. No they wouldn't because Rodgers is a dick to other players and Pittsburgh isn't an attractive destination like a Florida or California. Not to mention we're still stuck with Tomlin and he'd find a way to underachieve. And the Rooney's won't spend the money to build that team. This is like the JJ Watt sweepstakes all over again.