1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Roethlisberger vs Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Accuracy - Mason?
    Mobility- in the pocket, Ben. Mason under center
    Arm strength - a wash, Mason long term
    Reading defense - Mason
    Decision making - Mason

Note: we haven't seen Mason this year.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't really have a problem with it either. And I think it should probably be a script with a fake injury to let him save face. I am by no means defending Ben's play this season. He clearly doesn't have it any more and needs to hang up the cleats. My issue is with the notion that Rudolph would be any better even with the way Ben is playing. I guess we could all debate that all day long and apparently the opportunity MR had in 2019 to lead this team and he failed wasn't enough of a sample set for some. Either way, this season has gone off the rails and I doubt Rudolph would get them back on track. Wouldn't hurt to see what he and Haskins can do. And I say AND Haskins because MR hasn't proven that he can keep the job over an undrafted goober from Bugtussle Alabama.

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

This is basically where I’m at with the whole thing. However, I want to give them as much time as possible to decide exactly what we have with Rudolph and Haskins. That way we go into the draft with a clearer picture. We either invest early in a top tier qb or address other areas of concern.

It would be awesome to land a shut down corner etc

4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Rudolph & Haskins will expose Canada. Other than that, both should remain the backups that they are. If we want to see what Canada can bring, yeah bench Big Ben.

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't hate Rudolph...I'm one of the few that Thinks He can Be successful, but I'm also one that Doesn't think Ben is done.
    I think No Qb that actually depends on throwing the Ball Has success behind How this Line is playing Right Now. Period.
    It's easy for people 2 WATCH and see someone get Hammered for 83% of the game, and then Wonder Why they are getting rid of it Quickly, or the 17% of the time they are not getting Hit....Why did He miss that throw???

6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    3rd round pick?

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Our O- line was not ....this bad. Not close. It's been a Very Very Long time since I seen a Steeler Complete O- Line this bad.
    Yes a player Here, or there, but Not the whole O- line.
    This doesn't mean they Won't get better. I'm talking about the last We just seen of them.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There were people who actually wanted to start Landry Jones or Dennis Dixon over Roethlisberger?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Ignoring the offensive line is lazy, too. In the past, Rudolph hasn't been able to handle pressure, so that doesn't bode well if he ends up starting.

The line did look better, but the Packers aren't great on run defense, so that may have helped. Getting Okorafor out of the lineup probably helped, too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    No... he's bullsh!tting. Rudolph > Jones and Dixon

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Now Roethlisberger has a hip problem. Tomlin mentioned it during his press conference today.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Right now, the OL is so bad that it doesn't matter who plays at QB. Ben is aging, but he has no time to do anything without the D getting to him/pressuring him. When he was younger and had a bad OL, he could rely on mobility and backyard football style to get around this, but he can't do that anymore.

But behind the current OL, Rudolph or Haskins won't do any better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I believe wholeheartedly Haeg over Chuks helped immensely in the run game. For a team that wanted to get back to running the football haeg over chuks was a no brainer to me. Hopefully Banner returns this week and things along the line will settle down. If I remember correctly our anticipated starting line hasn’t played together in either pre or regular season.

• Like Like x 1
  14. steelpens

steelpens Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    I think he was referring to the "1st round talent" tag that the Steelers gave Rudolph

15. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    I back Rudolph on here because it’s the only choice we have. I don’t want it but the organization is dead set on him being the starter in place of Ben so all the what if’s and hypothetical qb ideas people post on here are pointless.

He is a better option that Ben right now, what I HOPE he can do is be a good spot holder until we figure out what to do long term at QB.

• Like Like x 1
  16. YoungstownSteeler

YoungstownSteeler Member

Sep 26, 2021
    I have always hated this Steelers loyalty crap (i.e. keeping chuck noll around too long and now Ben).
    I am not saying MR/Haskins is the answer but how do we know?
    I watched every snap of Haskins at Ohio State and his ceiling is very high. I felt he needed to stay in college
    another year to learn how to make the subtle moves in the pocket. This was before his laziness issues came out.
    I don't know if you can fix lazy but if he doesn't make it in Pittsburgh he will most likely be out of the league. I would
    think that's a lot of motivation. I just want to go into off season knowing we need to draft a QB or not. I dont want to sacrifice
    next season while they are trying to figure it out. I can write off one season but do not want to write off 2 . As I feel this team is
    not far off and they have a lot of money to spend next off season.

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That doesn't make the statement any better since they didnt.

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I remember being done with Ben after 2018. Then he got hurt in 2019 and Rudolph and Duck took over. I said I'll never say anything bad about Ben again after that **** show. Then Ben plays like **** the last 6 games of last season and I was done with him again.
    Right now I think Rudolph gives us a better chance since I believe he can move around in the pocket better and we can establish play-action with him. Those two things outweigh anything that Ben can do Better than Rudolph. If Rudolph can work the middle of the field, get under center, establish the run game and play action that will solve some of our O-line issues.

More accurate passer- I'm thinking there's no way Rudolph can be as bad as Ben is right now.
    Mobility- Rudolph
    Arm Strength- Rudolph
    Reading the defense- slight edge to Ben
    Decision making- I'm hoping Rudolph

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    In a fist fight Ben kicks his young ass.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Bens tossed 4 tds and 4 interceptions in four games lol. I mean wtf.

That’s just disrespectful to the whole team to be leaving him in there. You don’t let two young qbs rot on the bench behind that kind of play. You sit him down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Rudolph really showed absolutely nothing when given the chance in 2019. His accuracy was awful. His arm strength mediocre. His pocket presence nil.

That being said he may, at this moment in time, be better than Ben, so he should probably be higher on the depth chart.

The reality though is neither Ben nor Rudolph is a legit starting Qb for a SB contender. They're both marginal starters at best. Trying to compare their relative attributes is like asking would you rather drink sour milk or non-alcoholic beer.

22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yes, exactly. Colbert, even now, never misses the chance to remind the world that they had a 1st round grade on Mason, and that they couldn’t pass on him in the 3rd round. That their actions in handled Mason seems to contradict that assessment is another matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Definitely non-alcoholic beer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Don't understand this comment? it's not like we haven't seen Rudolph play? it's not like he didn't have almost a full season to win everyone over. I don't think there is blind hatred. I think there is blind hope and a lot of wishing he was something he is not. Ben stinks and we wish our team was better and we really wish we had a better QB on the roster (Rudolph isn't it). Wish he was, i had high hopes for him but he's just not a starting Caliber QB and honestly i'm not very comfortable with him as the backup.

I think you would be better off throwing Haskins in and seeing if the light bulb has gone off for him yet. The knock on him was he is raw and needed some polish but didn't put the work in. Maybe he has been humbled and can turn in
    Not sure how he dhasnt had lots of first team reps being the 2nd string with a 1st string QB that doesn't practice a lot and barely plays in pre season.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The escape hatch has been identified. In two weeks, if we see more of the same, that hip will be aggravated. Ben will need to miss a game or two to recover. We need him to be healthy for the playoff push. If Mason stinks, Ben comes back. If he doesn’t, we’re playing the hot hand. In any case, we didn’t bench Ben, we’d never bench Ben, it’s just too bad he got hurt.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1