1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Good coaching can overcome injuries

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Yes, we have tons of injuries. But guess what, so do a lot of other teams.

The Ravens have 12 guys on IR and they are 2-1 with wins over the Chiefs and Lions. They have a Super Bowl winning coach. So do we. They have 3 starting RBs on IR and are starting street free agents - guys who weren't even playing football a few weeks ago. We have a first round pick from Alabama at RB.

The difference is coaching. Harbaugh, despite how much we hate him and think he is a whiner, is a elite coach who isn't afraid to make tough decisions. Remember how he fired his OC mid-season and then they went on to win the Super Bowl?

Do you think Tomlin would ever have the balls to do that? Tomlin has an opportunity to prove he is a good coach now but pulling a 1-2 team loaded with injuries together. If he can get the Steelers to another non-losing season that will be a huge victory for his legacy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Is this about the Steelers or Ravens Benny? Come clean fella.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    I want the Steelers to be able to overcome injuries like the Ravens are doing. It's a copout to give Tomlin a pass because a bunch of guys pulled their groins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The Ravens pulled that game out of their arse-holes yesterday and almost lost to probably the worst team in the NFL.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah and I want young hot women to throw themselves at me like they used to do to Brad Pitt, but that ain't happening.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    OP is really a Ravens fan

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Would you like for Lamar to win a game against Ben Benny?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Why? Because he's making actual valid points about the Steelers using injuries as an excuse?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Maybe. What was basically a rookie QB (due to injury) on a young team, and Steelers secondary missing Haden, should've reverted back to Blitzburgh. But that would have required actual game planning for a specific team, and not just "we do what we do".

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Tomlin Stockholm Syndrome is a sad thing. Instead of actually considering what Benny says, they immediately go to oh he must be a fan of another team! As if that even makes any sense given what he talks about.

11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I don't get it why are you guys so convinced he's a Raven fan? He's just bitching about things like many others on this board do.

12. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    Almost lost. But they won. Winning the close ones is the difference between winning a playoff game and going 1 and done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm not sure what your saying makes any sense when quoting what I said. I never even mentioned Benny, lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    You replied to the thread that Benny started so...

I'm more just pointing out the Tomlin defenders who immediately deflect any criticism thrown his way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You honestly can’t see through his post?

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Honestly no. I can spot a troll generally and I think you guys are being overly paranoid.

The hit and run method with topics is kinda annoying but I don't see anything more.

17. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    Gotcha. Sometimes I don't even look at who started a thread, just read and reply, lol. I myself think Tomlin is a good coach and great motivator, not a great coach. I think he stood atop what others built and was able to maintain it for a bit, and maybe he realizes when Ben is gone, he may be in trouble.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    A big thing that helped Cowher for instance is that he knew how to surround himself with good assistants. Tomlin is absolutely putrid in that regard. Even worse, he doesn't even seem interested in building a good staff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    I agree with that. And I think the cupboard on defense was a lot easier to stock, due to only being what, 5-7 teams running a 3-4? But if you look at the number of assistants under Cowher who went on to be head coaches..... has any assistants under Tomlin gotten a head coaching gig? Other than O-line coach in Tennessee?

20. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Obviously

21. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Danny Smith

22. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Burrow threw 13 passes in the first half - our only legit pass rusher, Ingram, was dropped into coverage on 5 of them.

That is inexcusable. This team's problems are many, coaching stupidity is at the top of the list.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    I hate that excuse. If you are trying to say everyone is running a 3-4 now. Well hmmm then run a 4-3 it should be easy to get players because everyone is running a 3-4. There I fixed Tomlins problem

24. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm not sure it's that easy. Think it is about a 50/50 split now, and alot of teams do the hybrid thing ( like Steelers 2 d-lineman package). Getting the best outside rush linebacker was alot easy when their was only 2-3 teams running that defense drafting in front of you, as opposed to say, 10-12. It's not an excuse, just a fact. I think Steelers could build alot better defenses, easier, under Cowher than they could under Tomlin. This doesn't mean I endorse Tomlin.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    I agree with your point. One thing Tomlin can’t do is draft a DB. We can occasionally get a free agent. Yet we keep drafting them. How many LBs did we take in the first round versus how many panned out. I just hate Tomlin.