1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers lack a true #1 WR

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Sep 20, 2021.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah break down 33 tds on the book out on Ben 6th in the league. Those teams must just suck you got a book on somebody, and you allowed that many TDs, or Maybe they were just being nice.:shrug:

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree. It's about time Steelers stink it up in September and rebound later in the year....like in the Cowher days. Too much remaining talent on the roster to at least make the Browns and Ravens poop their pants.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    DJ has #1 potential but he seems to be a headcase and a china doll.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I still can't figure out why DJ didn't run that in....didn't seem like He even tried.....just ran a few yards then went out of bounds.

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Yep. A complete piss poor effort.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Odd game for DJ, the routes, the running out of bounds, head scratchers for sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    He's had a lot of head scratchers throughout his career.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think DJ went downhill last year when Ben quit practicing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben only misses practice on Wednesday's.

11. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yikes. I am hesitant to post a reply because the rest of the thread is too similar to a radical political debate where its either all the way on this side or all the way on the other when it should be obvious to even the most casual observer the answer likely lies somewhere in-between.

The subject of the thread I can agree with. I mean I figured everyone pretty much knew that... with the hope being that as the season goes on we finally see someone emerge as a critical playmaker. Sadly my biggest worry is the problem I see most prevalently is one that has plagued us for too long. And no it is not just simply Ben is toast. It is that our scheme and play-calling is just either uninventive or too-inventive to the point you could call it cute. You take that and you add in an inexperienced line that hasn't had a chance to gel with one another and an aging, beat up Ben... it's not too surprising we got beat by a Raiders team that looks to be a decently oiled machine. I mean they just beat the Ravens who just beat the reigning Chiefs. I am not sure why everyone is acting like they are a trash team that had no business beating us. Derek Carr is playing well and it's about time and if any team CLEARLY doesn't have a #1 wide receiver its the RAIDERS. That fact didn't keep them from spreading the ball around.

Granted we definitely are suffering FAR too many injuries on defense... whatever they are doing or NOT doing to prepare our defenders groins has obviously got to change. I honestly, didn't even mean that be "funny", it really is concerning. Bush is shaping up to be made out of paper which is also scary.

Ben definitely isn't what he used to be and I won't dare pretend he is... with that said though he has shown he can still throw some dots. I am just unsure how much of it is on his age and faltering skills and how much of it was him eating turf due to Crosby smashing into him how ever many times. I think those hits and spills hurt him a lot more than in the past and they shake him up much more than the past. As for our pass-catchers... I agree with those about DJ just seeming lackadaisical at times and it is a bit inexplicable. It seems there is a lack of leadership or some kind of drama brewing in our WR corps. JuJu I still think is a great slot receiver and key on 1st downs and for tough yardage. I would like to see Friermuth more involved he looks like he could be something soon enough. Anyone doubting Claypool's physical capabilities just doesn't have eyes. That said, he does need to work on his route running and getting separation it's almost as if he believes in his own hype too much. I don't know what to make of James Washington. I thought he was the most sure-handed of the bunch but it appears he has just been left out of the mix.

I am not impressed with the play-calling at all. The routes being run, the overall scheme, the reliance on these damn dangerous WR screens & bubble screens and these out of place reverses and end arounds I mean I just don't get it. I guess its easy to judge from our point of view though. I have actually been more impressed with Harris than possibly others have been however. He definitely runs hard and has some good moves I just think he needs to work on his ball carrier vision but that kind of goes hand in hand with blocking and the run blocking has been nothing short of abysmal.

Our issues are multifaceted and ultimately it is on Tomlin to circle the wagons and use what we have more effectively. Our injury issues on defense definitely will not improve with the pressure our offense is putting on them. Here's hoping they can turn it around!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I noticed the same thing . In most NFL games, there are several spectacular catches by receivers on both teams. I am yet to see that from a Steeler this season. Juju will make tough catches in traffic, but I see no other receiver on this roster making those catches. Muth looks like the real deal and I can not understand calling Ebron's number on a critical 3rd down.

On a side note, yes this team has multiple issues. However, I did see some positive signs such as jet sweep motion which freed Juju for a TD. Muth is looking good and maybe needs more targets.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    DJ could be a #1. At least he is more consistent catching.
    Claypool could be a #1. Needs to refine his short game.

The Steelers have had success without a true #1. I don't care if their is a #1 as long as who is getting targeted catches the BALL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    That's 1/3 of the weekly practices.

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Johnson is not a No. 1. He simply isn't reliable enough. How many times has he either given up on a route or run the wrong route already through two games? There are ways to make mistakes other than drops.

He or Claypool could both develop into a No. 1, but neither of them is there right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The biggest problem is that they lack a true #1 QB.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I took this to mean this it is more than just a talent thing (or lack of). JMO>

18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    we can't just run Claypoole on fly patterns and tell him contest. We are wasting his skills. Ben + Tomlin + Canada = SUCK

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yes
    watching Rogers made this CRYSTAL CLEAR last night

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Our offense sucks because we all suck at the wrong time lol.

-O line can’t run block
    -Ben is not accurate but when he is they drop the ball
    -play calling is stupid sometimes

then we get behind and Ben forces deep passes that get picked.

there is no ebb and flow. If we are gonna run then we need to run and stick with it. Involve the TE… start throwing middle of the field again.

• Like Like x 1
  21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think what Johnson's downfall is durability. He's often hurt.

22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Yep. Ben can't get them to the probowl anymore & it doesn't look like they want to get there themselves.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Not last year after Ben had that week off with Covid and then just showed up on game day.

It was always "DNP NIR" for the last part of the season.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He had issues with routes the previous week, too.

Regarding running out of bounds, maybe he is taking the Antonio Brown comparisons to heart. Brown had quite a few plays like that one in his career.

25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Lots of champion teams win without a true #1 receiver. The Steelers issues on offense start and end with the offensive line. Period.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1