1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Last play of the game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 19, 2021.

1. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    If Tomlin had gone for it and missed, there would be backlash the other way, from the same ones critiquing now. Either way he looses with them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Nope, not from me. This was reminiscent of the playoff game last year. Totally deflating.

3. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Come on Dog, I've seen you play both sides.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Having Diontae Johnson in on a meaningless play some coaches should be slapped upside there heads for that. The game was wrapped up. Stupid just stupid!

Hopefully he is not going to be out for an extended period of time. as well as Watt, Bush and Haden. Shame about Alualu it's possible he has played his last game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I critique Tomlin all the time. I knew he wouldn't go for it there. If he did and they failed to get it I would have defended that decision as it was the correct call to make at the time. The guy has often stated that they don't live in their fears. Well, that was a perfect example of living in their fears. Going for 4th and a yard there may have provided a spark of momentum if or when they would have made it. Instead it was like putting up the surrender flag. Then, when the game is completely out of reach, he doubles down on his stupidity thinking they can score 9 points in about 22 seconds and gets his top receiver injured. Simply put. MT is a HORRIBLE game manager.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I give you credit for being fair but some aren't. Coaches make bad calls and are critiqued, appropriately. Nothing wrong with that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I am one usually hesitant to knock the head coach when it's the players who have to make the plays on the field (and stupid mistakes), but the two points you make here Ward are legit. So I am now officially joining the bandwagon...."Fire McDermott NOW!!" :cool:

8. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I'd like to know what happened to get that reaction of spitting. My suspicion is someone spit in his face. He came running back looking for someone in total rage. Something bad occurred. I'd like to know the whole story. If it comes down to Trai just spit on the guy then I hope he's suspended at least one week.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah....I agree....I totally doubt he was blocking....We score a TD, and He decides 2 spit it someone's face. Just because. LoL

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was going to claim karma but Romanowski wasn’t a Raider when he did this. Also, I’m joking, Trai was out of line regardless.

Anyone remember it?

11. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    upload_2021-9-20_13-12-51.png
    Not sure what this means, exactly, but talking about a comeback doesn’t sound good.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m starting to think the only reason Tomlin lives in some of these people’s heads is because there is a lot of excess space available?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Tomlin would be getting slammed if he took a knee in that situation, too. You know that, right?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It doesn't, but Mike Garofolo is reporting that Johnson "avoided major injury."

15. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    Yes but that was Roid rage so it's excused.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    As long as it's not during the national anthem no one cares.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    This may be a blessing in disguise. Ben looked like he was forcing the ball to DJ yesterday. Maybe with DJ out for a couple weeks, he will distribute it better

18. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    Really? That’s encouraging.

19. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    @MikeGarafolo

#Steelers WR Diontae Johnson did not suffer a serious injury yesterday, source says. His status for Sunday vs. the #Bengals is TBD but it’s not a long-term injury

20. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    not saying I agree with punting but our punter launched a bomb and the defense did stop them. We had a chance after that punt.

That said I think you have to go for it... that's the easiest opportunity to get back in it IMO. What's more likely.... defensive stop and offensive drive quickly... OR offensive drive after a 4th and 1? We get stuffed and game is over there but alot had to happen the other way also. I think it changed the momentum and I also liked the tempo of the hurry up offense. Ben runs the hurry up very well...the offense looks better when we are doing it. So why not do it? If the rest of the players can't deal with it then why? Why haven't the coaches prepared them enough to handle it? This is the pros.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    I didn't have much confidence in the offense to pick it up, however, the defense was gassed. Should have gambled on getting a yard.

22. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Yes. So then why not go for it in Buffalo before the half?

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    He knew they could not get a yard ! If Ben would take off his panties and QB sneak there would be no discussion.

24. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    That last play was the dumbest thing Tomlin EVER did! And that's saying a lot!

He's lucky DJ didn't get hurt worse! WTF would his reasoning be!

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    With the new rules this year if you score quick and then you have at least two or three seconds to get in position to kick a field goal. That’s good coaching there. Plus if big Ben makes a better throw DJ walks in untouched for the TD.