1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben should be benched or traded

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Burgettstown Bob, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Burgettstown Bob

Burgettstown Bob Active Member

Sep 20, 2021
    At this point I shouldn't be surprised (given how long the fanbase has had to get used to it), but I find the ineptness of this organization to be completely astounding! Why is Ben still here at this point? Why?! All this jive about him wanting to win championships still is a joke! He must have forgotten that a championship requires a team to be above .500 more often than not, and usually a championship requires at least adequate QB play! Honestly, he should be ashamed of himself for subjecting this great city to another year of his crap play! IMO, Ben hasn't been "good" in years now! Back in '17, I believe, is when he said "maybe I don't have it any more". Given his play since that statement, I would have to agree. He has definitely been a weaker link in the organization for at least 5 years now.

I also find his recent "this falls on me", "I have to play better", etc., etc., to be completely insincere. Just a couple of years back, this is the same dude that was calling teammates out on his weekly radio show. It was always somebody else's fault for why the Steelers have been nothing more than average over the past decade. But since being called out by more than one of his teammates about his "owner's mentality", all of the sudden he has seen the light and now he is finally able to admit that "he" is the one who basically sucks now? I don't know about you all, but it seems a little insincere to me.

I agree that yesterday's loss was only 1 game, but let's face it, we are going to be playing teams that are far better than Vegas in the coming weeks, and when you couple that bit of reality with the fact that we have no O-line, the D is questionable given injuries, and Ben can't throw, there is no reason to delude ourselves into thinking that this entire season is going to be more than just trash time.

If we lose this Sunday, I sincerely believe that Ben should either be benched or traded. I think a 5th round pick would be fair.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Serious question - bench him and play Mason? I guess my thought on this is that Mason isn't the future. We have no OL (or one that is young and new) so, therefore, no running game (kind of like last year). Lots of key people out on D -and if anyone questions TJ's impact...yesterday made it VERY clear. So, do we just plug on with our washed up QB and try again next year or are you saying give Mason a chance simply just to win?

3. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Ben should have retired 2 or 3 seasons ago and we should have rolled with Rudolph. The team needed a few tank-y seasons to get a high enough pick to draft a true Ben replacement. Instead we hung on too long with Ben and now it will take another 5-7 years before we can truly field Ben's replacement.

4. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    If they still think he has it then they need to put him under center and run a real offense. There is a reason we had the most offensive identity in two years when Rudolph was our QB and it isn't that Rudolph is amazing.

5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    12-4 last year, .500 so far this year......I'll ask the same question I ask the "fire Tomlin now" crowd, who are you going to replace him with? Rudolph? He's lucky to have a job. Haskins? Maybe his time in WA was a fluke and he's actually good....time will tell. If you don't like losing with Ben, why would you like losing with these other two?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I've said this many times before but you can thank Art Head up his ass Rooney for Ben being here this year at least. Nostalgia and trying to relive former glory has turned into a disease with this franchise.

7. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    You know you are being facetious. You have to rip the band-aid off sometimes. We don't currently have a NFL grade starter on the team, Ben included. You have to tank a few season to get a high enough pick to draft the next Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes.

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Who is going to trade for 39 year old QB in more than likely last NFL season?

I know Ben's skills are diminished for sure, but lets not forget the good he did for the Steelers.

I'm still going to hope the old Ben can come up with some modifications to his game, probably won't happen.

Steelers and the Rooney's are a loyal bunch. They probably held on to hope that Ben would play better. Felt they owe to him for wait he has done for the franchise.

9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Because losing with Ben doesn't build on anything, it's wasting everybody's time. At least on another QB, maybe they learn something and build a starting career. That being said I don't realistically believe Rudolph is that guy. But you see what I mean? There's no risk/reward with Ben because he's gonna be gone next year hopefully anyway. You're not winning a championship with him or anything close so why pretend?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It would never happen. But hypothetically, what could Ben fetch on the trade market right now? I can't imagine he'd even get you a 6rh rounder. He's been an average QB statistically since he came back last yr., He's 39 and likely to retire. A rebuilidng team wouldn't be interested.

11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The problem with this team is far bigger than Ben Roethlisberger. Did you notice how our defense completely disappeared when Watt and Alualu got injured? You completely bash Ben and say he is no good anymore but at the same time suggest trading him. Are you going to shop him at Trader Joes for some vintage albums which is probably all you would get since you say he is the "weaker link in this organization for at least 5 years now."

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Losing with Ben or Mason is all we got to choose from right now.

Our only hope to compete was to have the best defense in the NFL and win ugly. Now that seems blown apart by injuries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Not being facetious at all. Everyone complains that Ben starts slow, me included. When he catches fire, he's way better than Rudolph. Are you advocating getting rid of your starting QB 2 games into a season? Or getting rid of him at the end of the season, or when there's no hope of making the playoffs, whichever comes first?

14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Then you might as well lose with the younger and cheaper guy is what I'm saying. The window to win a championship here closed a loooooooong time ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    Probably a conditional 6th rounder... maybe a 7th

16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    When and if he catches fire it eventually results in the whole team burning down.

17. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    When was the last time Ben "caught fire"?

18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    and you KNOW this after 2 games?

19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Last year

20. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The argument for starting someone other than Ben is that you can build an actual legit offensive identity with someone who isn't limited to the shogun. We could feature Najee and the running game. No doubt it would also be fugly at first but maybe something worthwhile would emerge. With Ben out there we know exactly what this offense will look like as we've seen it for more than a year now. It is not even close to being good enough.

21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Yes I can guarantee you this team isn't winning a championship. It's very easy to do if you've been paying attention the last 5+ years.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    And then it all burned down

23. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Or, we should have drafted Lamar instead of Edmunds, and he would have taken over in 2019 when Ben got hurt.

24. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    Which game in particular?

25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    correct

a loss Sunday and then a loss at GB, 1-3. Yes, bench Ben, give Mason a full season, see if he any answer. I think I have my answer already, but I am ready to watch him play if we go to 1-3.