1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben's last 8 games

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    i.e., after defenses figured out that Ben couldn't throw downfield anymore. Points scored on offense:

Baltimore - 13 points
    Washington - 17 points
    Buffalo - 15 points
    Cincy - 17 points
    Indy - 28 points
    Cleveland - 37 garbage time points
    Buffalo - 16 points
    Vegas - 17 points

If they don't unload on that Cincy defense, it's time for Rudolph.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Receivers and TE's will still drop and give up on routes with Mason in there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Ben should have walked away sad to watch him go out like this

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Which is why I find it odd that so many on here claim we have the best WR group in the league. They aren't that good.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

They definitely can't seem to get open. I watch other games and receivers are 5,6,7 yards away from the nearest defender meanwhile our guys are covered like a blanket. It's like spygate went league wide against the Steelers since 2008.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    He is more accurate downfield and isn't afraid of the middle of the field. No savior by any means, but Ben is broken and easily defended.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

That may be true but if you are waiting for Ben to be benched and Mason thrown into the forefront then you will probably be waiting til around 10 games in.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    If we're 1-5 or 2-4 at the bye, it will happen sooner.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    It isn't happening unless Ben gets hurt. Ben won't matter if the defense is missing 5 starters again. It looks like the adhesiveness is wearing out on the duct tape.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    They went 1-5 down the stretch last year with Ben and nothing appears to have changed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    When has Mason put up 20+ points in a game that the defense didn't dominate? Checkdown Charlie isn't the answer for this receiver group, just sayin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    If a QB needs WR that are that open then the QB is not an NFL QB. NFL open is not running 6 yards free. Our receivers get NFL open. We just don't have a QB with an NFL quality arm any more.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yep - pure suck, which is why I was hoping to put 2020 behind and start the rebuild. you and I know it ain't good, but / and there is no Plan B.

14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yep

and he will get concussed or worse, soon.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ben has not averaged 8 yr/att in a game for 23 straight games now. Not even once. The last time he did was the X-ray machine fiasco loss in Oakland in '18. He hasn't done it since his elbow injury, he hasn't done it since AB left. He hasn't done it even in games where he was forced to air it out. Like in H2 vs Indy last yr, or most of the Cle payoff game.

He can hit passes downfield with any consistency. He not too mobile and his OL ain't helpin'.

He might show a spark or two in the coming weeks, but I don't see that this is going to get better.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think Tomlin would ever bench Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Our receivers aren’t the problem. DJ is still one of the top WR at gaining separation so tell me again how he can’t get open?

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Hasn't ever happened yet. Ben has thrown 4 INT's in a game and still was put back out there. I wouldn't be completely against benching Ben if he has several bad outings squarely because of his play but that has not been the case here during these two games. People believing Rudolph will do any better with a depleted injury riddled defense, a receiving core that for most part takes plays off from time to time and a whole bunch of rookies on offense are absolutely kidding themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    He seems to quit on the play lately. :shrug:

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yesterday if thats what you mean by lately. I didn’t noticed that in the first game.

More like getting the routes wrong than quitting. Or maybe it’s Ben, he’s shot, it’s obvious.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Maybe the offense gets too complicated for some of the players. Yeah, I've seen better from Ben but he'll go down shooting. I will enjoy his last ditch effort this year, win or lose. Rebuilding year with Big Ben leading the chaos is my take. Better than SB pretenders with the warhorse leading the chaos like the last ten years, no?

22. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    This must be what Saints fans felt while watching the last days of Drew Brees

23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Teams figured out our deep game was a decoy they figured out they can run blitz and just collect the QB on the way ...The UNC Coach just talked about how the ability of his QB to run is what opens the inside runs and takes away coverage as someone has to account for the QB..This is the style we intended to run , but Ben simply can not do it ...

As it stands now Ben must read the D and call the hot routes that take advantage of the coverage...Ben must recognize the single coverage or the window between the bracket coverage pre snap..So basically Teams have forced Ben to use his Football IQ vs. theirs... Ben has been doomed ever since...

Our best shot to win the playoff game was Dobbs and our best chance this year would have been Dobbs ...Unless the D and ST'S play great this Team may not win another game with Ben at QB...

24. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I get why in the past Tomlin never benched Ben. Ben has never let poor performance keep him from trying to win the game late. Even if he was horrible for most of the game he always had the ability to make plays at the end to win it. That Ben is gone now.

25. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

Interesting. How good were Mike Tomlin's last 8 games? The o-line, rb's,a and WR's were impressive though right?

• Winner Winner x 1