1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Reason to be excited about the offense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 7, 2021.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well I hope we not in trouble , but Ben stated that his daughter was helping him a month or so back.. Ben probably never knew what Defenses he was facing until about 3 seasons ago..He knew how to identify the Strong and weak LB and slide protection for the most part,although the Ravens got him mad confused for years and Suggs would come free often and light him up..Even BA had statements about how Ben didn't like to study film and be Coached to much ,the older Ben knows he must do much better in that regard if he intends to survive the season...

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If Ben goes school yard then we will see Mason or Haskins really quick ..His body can't take it he best call runs use PA and throw the ball away when the release clock is up.. If he plays 1 game not doing this his chances of finishing that game behind a new OL are very slim...

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    :facepalm:

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Wrong again. I already explained this back when I was the one who predicted they would use the toe injury to stash him on the injured reserve. The reasoning is simple. Never give up a potential asset until you have to do so, even if that asset is worth much. If something happens to one of the three quarterbacks who beat out Dobbs this year, they have a cheap option who knows the system. It isn't some great value to the organization.

To put it another way. Imagine you have four envelopes in your pocket. Three of them have $10,000 in them. The fourth has $1 in it. You thought you could only keep three envelopes, so of course, you were going to keep the ones with $10,000. Then you find out you can keep the one with $1 in it without losing the much more valuable ones. Do you keep the $1? Of course, you do. It's not a perfect analogy, but it's the best I can do at 6:30 a.m.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Rumor has it that his daughter taught him what a “fullback” is because “Uncle Randy” never did.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Not sure what’s to be excited about with this unit besides maybe Najee. However if the OLine is as bad as it appears Najee won’t be able to find any running room.

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My Friend....what's 2 be excited about ....is We are the Steelers, with a game Sunday against a Good team. If We lose We have 16 more games 2 go. If We win ....Great start with 16 more games 2 Go. That's enough 2 get me excited.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Apparently not wrong. According to this he is out for the year and as the article states, they value his input.

Guess it’s not a lot of crap by the Dobbs lovers ;)

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/09/j...inue-to-be-resource-of-knowledge-while-on-ir/

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not so much instruction as much as feedback. When Ben walks off the field, especially when he screws up, it’s Dobbs he goes to talk to.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Joshua Dobbs: the Stuart Smalley of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Ben isn't the most cerebral QB out there, but I don't know why he has a reputation of not being able to read coverages.

I'm thinking about the divisional game against Denver in 2015.
    Playing in Denver (huge home field advantage) against the #1 seed after the brutal Bengals game (Burfict attacking Ben's throwing arm after the whistle), going up against one of the best (pass) defenses, without their #1 WR, #1 RB, or #2 RB. (And without Pouncey at Center.)
    He has to have at least some identifying ability to put up the numbers he did in that situation.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He reads a D fine. The saying He doesn't is:bscow:
    All You have 2 do is watch tape 2 see He does. Does He make mistakes of course, but I've yet 2 see a Qb that doesn't.
    When You see rollout Usually that's for Qbs that can't read a field, or 2 get them off the spot on a particular play.
    A lot will say they love rollout because they are used in College a lot,but there is a reason for that, and I would guess many know why. 2 many complete rolling out cuts half Your field off. Which means Your Reads are easier, but when that's all You can do ...it also makes it easier on the D.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Okay Debbie Downer :facepalm:

14. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    The beautiful thing about NFL handicapping is that it rarely works out the way you think. Maybe this offense will be great. We find out soon

15. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    The leftwich method.

I think Dobbs has an eye but to suggest he is needed is a bit of a leap ... off the edge

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Over under on how many games ( based on 17 ) najee has and avg carry over 3.3?

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    My point still holds. He is there because it makes no sense to give up a potential asset until it is necessary. I don't see a "they" in that article. I see Canada saying nice things about one of his own players. That doesn't come close to supporting the ridiculous idea that the 39-year-old future Hall-of-Fame quarterback entering his 18th season somehow needs the knowledge of a scrub with 17 career passing attempts in the NFL. By all means, keep deluding yourselves regarding Dobbs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    MUUUUTTTHHH! I'm excited for him today, get in the redzone.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, your point doesn’t still hold, it just got run over by a stream roller.

And my argument isn’t that Ben “needs” Dobbs but that the Ben AND the team values his input, evident by the fact he is still there.

Your asset theory doesn’t fly unless the part of the asset they value is his input because it sure isn’t his playing since he is out for the year.

But keep trying, Scribe, I love watching you get triggered by anything positive about Dobbs :lolol:

20. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Can't believe I'm about to remotely even somewhat align with anything written by scribe... but... I just don't see Dobbs as an NFL caliber QB. Smart guy and by all accounts a Super nice kid, but come on man!

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think you misunderstood, this isn’t about what he can do on the field, hes not even going to be available this season.

The topic is that Ben and the team values his input, why not just cut him, he cant play this year.

22. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Ok, got ya. Guess I should have read through all the thread. I do agree with what you are saying and that he should be cut. For the reason you mentioned plus he just isn't an NFL caliber QB.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

24. Kolbassi

Kolbassi Well-Known Member

May 1, 2017
    lol

25. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    After that first half I'm not so excited about the offense but it's early.