1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Beyond this year .....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Steelers have a " good" team right now IMO, but there are a lot of ifs/question marks...

QB..No 1 sooner rather than later, actually real soon...We need to draft the next Ben...

Watt? What to do if he doesn't sign...Gonna need an edge rusher...

OL...Still need lots more...

DL Heyward old, Tuiit?.Who knows , always hurt, and a boatlot of $$$$$...Have to get younger...

ILB...Bush? Jury is still out..

DB's...Haden gone, and not much else!

RB...Najee, and that's it! Rest are hot garbage...

^^^^^^ That's a ****load of question marks, and not much draft capital... Where and what do you address?...

* WR's & TE in good shape!

What do y'all think?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Dline has some prospects already imo. We'll get a good look.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Do any of the draft gurus here know if next year prospects have strong projections for QB? DB? OL?

4. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    You're right...Davis,Buggs, Loudermilk all look promising... There's depth, but not really a high end " type" like Cam or Tuitt

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Bring in a high end nose tackle or spring for that overpaid dude on the Rams if TJ takes his ball home...lol

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    TJ can be franchised. we have some depth there if they continue to rise.

DL i think we have some players. tuitt i would try to move.

WR- next year we lose or could lose washington and juju. not all that stable there.

OL- we could be alright and add a draft pick.

corner, we will see but can always add a guy in free agency. gilbert with a year under his belt is a possible future player i still think. sign minkah and keep killebrew at SS. not sold on norwood because of speed but stiner could come along.

schobert helps. not sure bush will be who they thought he would be. i didn't care for the pick then and still dont. not for 3 draft picks.

i still like benny snell as a backup. see what ballage can do. add a free agent here possibly.

:cool:

7. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Honestly at this time... Im not a fan of any of the QBs coming out.... maybe they will show me something

Next year is why I didn't like losing ROCHE. Ingram most likely a one year rental. Would have been good to not have to invest in another OLB again next year.

HACK

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Seems to me the AFC finally gets rid of Brady but are getting re-stocked with future great QB's. Jury is still out on them for sure but it worries me that we are about to enter another Bradshaw to Ben era.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    There are normally 2-4 good QB’s coming out each year now, and numerous guys on the veteran free agent merry go round. The Steelers won’t be stuck with a complete disaster of a QB, or at least they shouldn’t be. Ideally you get a guy in the draft, cost controlled for four years and load the cannon around him.

The secondary is very very thin and they are going to have to address it next offseason in free agency or the draft. They have had a lot of mid to late round misses at corner, much like other teams. Most of the top corners in the league are very high picks like Ramsey, Humphrey and Alexander. You get the odd gem later but if you want a CB1 you need to take them in round 1. Burns was a disaster but that doesn’t mean you never draft the position again. JMO, I know others think they just can’t draft corners but look at the records of other teams there and the steelers are not that bad. The Viking record there is atrocious for example and they’ve used several very high picks on corners.

Maybe the steelers het lucky and Pierre turns out to be legit

They will need more OLine and Dline, WR, basically take best player available. I like their last two drafts so far but it’s early days. Steelers are as good as all but a handful of teams at roster building, I’m not too worried about it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Lots of young guys that can still show something for the future.

QB - gonna have to address this via draft.
    OLB - Depends on Watt, but Highsmith looks like a player. Young guy in Jones can prove he's a keeper as well.
    OL - Young starters in Dotson, Green, Moore. We will likely add another C or T in the next draft/offseason. Still a work in progress, but with Klemm and the priority on bringing in young guys, this room could be a strong one in the near future.
    DL - Loudermilk, Buggs, Davis. Lots of young talent here. Will add more as Tuitt and Heyward move on. We are in excellent shape here.
    ILB - Drafted Johnson, who looks pretty solid. Allen has made big strides here.
    DB - Layne, Pierre, Norwood. Lots of young guys that will shape our future on the back end.
    RB - I mean, that's just how its gonna be. Harris is getting the rock all day (as he should). No need for high profile back ups. Just throw in a guy or two like Ballage and Snell who are fine for a game or two and a change of pace guy for mismatches. Seems like a fine formula to me. Our RB room will look like this one for as long as Harris is a Steeler.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I know people think Buddy Johnson is going to be good... but so far.. He looks more like Tyler Matakevich than bonifide future starter to me.

HACK

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

Right now one of my favorite prospects is D.J. Uiagalelei of Clemson. But he can't enter draft until 2023.. We will get a good glimpse of his potential Saturday vs a good Georgia defense.

Hack

• Like Like x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yes for QB, and OL, I think there will be 7-8 QBs drafted in the first round next year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    allow our new qb coach to do his thing with who we have before we have to draft our next 4 time super bowl winning qb. would have been 5 if he wasn't hurt with that defense. i want better then ben, he only won 2 and lost 1. :cool:

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    carson strong

brock purdy

get two, has it ever been done? :smiley1::cool:

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I like Carson Strong, and Phil Jurkovec right now.

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Washington drafted RG3 and Kirk Cousins in the same draft.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like our future especially if they get a competent QB going forward.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And have neither.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Yep. We're doomed.

FMTI

22. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    There's a feeling I get when I look to the west. Out there is a big 6'5" boy at Texas Tech by the name of Tyler Shough(pronounced Shuck)

Big, athletic, big arm. Started for Oregon last year. Graduated with 2 degrees and still has 3 years of eligibility left. Although, I expect him, if he continues to develop, to come out after this year. Especially since it's, at this point, considered to be a pretty average QB class next year.

I'm keeping an eye on him, along with another guy out west, Carson Strong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Watch this guy tonight, Sam Howell. He can play.

• Like Like x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Shough lost his job at Oregon, he didn't impress me last season, Strong is a guy I will continue to watch this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Too many key players will be gone soon, there's going to be a lull. Whether it's a 2012/13 semi-competitive refractory period or a bottoming out remains to be seen, but they needed to go all-in this season and I don't think they did enough at CB and OL.

Hope I'm wrong and they win it all, but in the likely event they don't, they're going to regret not starting this retooling/rebuilding this year.