1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sean Davis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't understand anybody thinking Loudermilk is headed to the practice squad. They gave away a pick next year to get the guy and I thought he played well in the preseason. He should make the team.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It will still happen though as sure as the sun rising. I love the wasted roster spot discussion every season.

3. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Sadly Davis can be not very good and still be an upgrade over what we have backing up at safety.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    no - he sucks. our secondary is in trouble. that is for sure

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Because that what we do. Sign him, sign everyone...:hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    taht is true but he may not be any better than the other suckage backups. We have no idea, another Tomlin pacifier, which is WHY he may end up coming back

7. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Davis is an upgrade over Norwood at this time.

Norwood is afraid to tackle. Good nose for the ball... and that might be enough for me if he actually got the INT... but he didn't

Send Norwood to the PS ... let him build an NFL BODY this year... see if he is more interested in getting his nose in the pile next summer

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Loudermilk actually looks slow to me. Solid, but slow. Not saying that he's Spillane-in-coverage slow, but I wasn't thrilled with watching him in space. To me, he's on the bubble. I won't be shocked either way, but I most certainly wouldn't be surprised to see him on the ps. Next season, he's going to be a force.

9. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I remember that play very well.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Is he suddenly going to get faster? If he's going to be a force next season, you don't risk losing him to another team now. What I saw was Loudermilk pushing his guys around and getting penetration. Remember, the Steelers thought enough of him to trade away a pick next season. With that sort of investment and a solid preseason, the guy should make the team. It would be a mistake to try to sneak him through to the practice squad. I guess it is possible, and maybe they would even get away with the mistake, but it would be a poor decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Point well taken. I agree about his push and penetration. That's pretty much what I was referring to when I called him solid. He's solid at the point of attack, has good upper-body strength to win the handfighting and force release from the offensive lineman, and has good lower body strength to move his opponent. But in space, he's on the slow side. With separation, all his strengths are somewhat neutralized. He's slow in pursuit and is lacking in lateral quickness. Those things aren't going to suddenly get better, but quickness can be gained in the offseason. Speed is a different animal. You either got it or you don't. But he doesn't need speed. He needs quickness. And I accept that for a man his size, quickness isn't usually something that gets associated. But being able to get from point A to point B quickly allows for him to engage with either the ball carrier or reposition favorably around another body. I just think he needs a season under his belt to be really good.

And it might very well be a mistake to try and sneak him through the practice squad. But when has that stopped us before?

• Like Like x 1
  12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    A bunch of the back up linemen and backers got sucked into breaking contain vs Carolina late in the game. Those guys are always going to be slow chasing tiny rabbit QB's also easier to block them on the move.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Wasn't just referring to Carolina. He kind of "lumbers" for lack of a better word, in space. It's not as much his speed in relation to those around him, but more of how he moves in general.

And understand, I'm not knocking him for this, just an observation of something that he can, and should, work on to get better.

• Like Like x 1
  14. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Yep I agree. I don't mind lumbering big men if they are absorbing a dbl team block or holding their spot on the line. What I don't like seeing is them getting winded chasing rabbits because they will never look good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Should/will be.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly the play that came 2 mind:thumbs_up:

18. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    He reminds me of McFarland, tripping over his own feet when he gets free. Makes you appreciate what Tuitt can do as a big man.

19. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I really don't understand Steelers fans' obsession with wanting to bring castoffs back. He sucks. He was let go because he sucks. He's not magically going to un-suck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    You mean like Dobbs?

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly what I said. Well not exactly. I said Dobbs says hello

22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    He knows the system and more importantly he is currently an upgrade to the Safety on the roster Tre Norwood. Norwood will never develop into a #1, put him on the practice squad and he may someday be a backup on this team.

Why wouldn't you want to bring in someone that is better than who you currently have on the team?

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Who cares if he knows the system? He still sucks. I'd rather give Norwood a chance to show something for a few weeks till Edmunds is back rather than waste time on a proven subpar player.

If we had to bring someone back, I'd go with Jordan Dangerfield before Sean Davis.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dangerfield wasn’t even good enough to get on the field to play defense and you want him over Davis.

You don’t get starter quality as depth and thats all Davis would be.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Also the issue is Dangerfield was replaced by Killabrew and they both are not in the box type safeties. Davis would play the center field role as Fitz backup

HACK

• Like Like x 1