1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Running Game Thus Far

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Aug 25, 2021.

1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Everyone.

So we have three Pre-Season games in the books as well as Training camp. I think that some questions have been fully answered, some in part, and some still remain completely without any sense of conclusion. The main topic of interest/concern for me is the Offensive Line and the Running Game.

Now, I know that it is a very small work sample up to this point that we can examine and really only have one-half of one game (vs. Detroit) that was about as close to “reality” as possible (usually Pre-Season game #3 is). Given that which we have on film so far, the Offensive Line and our projected starting Running Back (Najee Harris) still have not shown me enough to feel “confident” from where we were last season.

Again, this is such a small work sample and maybe my early assessment is unfair but this is how I am seeing things through my lens.

MY CURRENT GRADES FOR OUR RUNNING GAME

Team Performance

Dallas: 30 carries for 76 yards = (2.5 YPC) Grade: C-

Philadelphia: 30 carries for 152 yards = (5.0 YPC) Grade: B+

Detroit: 27 carries for 78 yards = (2.5 YPC) Grade: *D+

*About same amount of yards as Dallas game. However, Pre-Season Game #3 is usually the closest to the “real thing" as possible which does not bode well IMO.

Najee Harris Performance

Dallas: 7 carries for 22 yards = (3.0 YPC) Grade: C

Philadelphia: 2 carries for 10 yards = (5.0 YPC) Grade: C+ (Still, too few carries to really assess.)

Detroit: 4 carries for 10 yards = (2.5 YPC) Grade: *C-

*Again, very few carries to get a clear assessment BUT still nothing extraordinary.

Overall Conclusion

I still am not confident regarding our Running Game. The Passing Game may become heavily dependent upon (again) at least until we show a marked improvement in running the ball. This, along with the Offensive Coaching Staff becoming somewhat “creative” at times. In addition, we may need the Defense (and Special Teams) to help keep us in games which includes some scoring from them as well.

Once more, for the last time (broken record, smile) I 100%, completely realize that this is a very small work sample that I am basing all of this on. Okay, that is my take. Chime in.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Najee did have a few good runs called back. From what I've seen the talent is there for sure. I'm confident if the O-line can make holes and that is going to be a big frigging if against a powerful front 7, Harris will get decent yardage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Sounds like Snell will get most of the carries in the 1st half against Carolina.

Snell is going to half to light the world on fire to get his backup job back from Ballage.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Can't argue with what you stated. We are what we are until we're not. Hoping and wishing that this improves or that makes a difference isn't going to actually make a difference. Actual demonstrated ground production in a meaningful game will tell all where we are from the end of last year regardless of who the OC is. I am somewhat optimistic that we will be improved from last year simply because there is nowhere to go but up. How much of an improvement is to be determined. I also think that it will take a few real games to start forming a better assessment on our ground game due to a completely untested OL possibly needing to get into synch with each other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Our running game may be a work in progress all year. A lot of things need to happen for running game to be successful.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey Steel Hog.

I was thinking after I posted, questioning myself as to how much of the "production" in these three games weighs on the Offensive Line vs. our Running Backs. I am not sure. It probably is a combination of both. As for Najee Harris, I am not picking on him. Not at all. I am thrilled that we got him! I think he is going to very good. I just "isolated" on his statistics because I think we are mostly in agreement that he is going to be our starter when the season opens up. Again though, no RB has really turned it up so far.

I think that Kevin Ballage is our "leading" RB statistically-wise so far this Pre-Season. Again, with that being said, there is still not much to be too excited about, YET (smile). Najee's catch and turn of the corner run in the last game was great. I, along with others, did not think he was going to get to the edge and burn it up the field but he did. He really showed-off an extra gear per se. So, that is a good thing.

Like you, and we already new this, the Offensive Line is a work in progress. That is why I stated that the Passing Game, the Defense and even the Special Teams may have to up their games that much more until our Running Game can really start to make a serious impact. Also as stated, I think that Matt Canada is going to have to get the creative juices flowing as well. Hopefully though the Running Game will get up to snuff much sooner than later.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I would think any type of analysis at this point would be incomplete and hard to extrapolate for a whole 60 min game let alone a 17 week schedule.

I am encouraged by some of the things I'm seeing especially from the young oline. Against the Eagles late in the game I saw some blocking that was reminiscent of a dominant oline. There were also signs of developing a rushing attack that had more thought put into it than the three years since Munch left.

Things I was not encouraged by was an entire series with Ben where once again it was entirely shotgun and expecting Harris to generate burst from an standing still position and lacked some of the motion that Canada has been adding it. Any time they used it with Ben last game it almost certainly was a gadget play where it was easily read as a jet sweep or WR running play and were easily read by the defense. The screen game looked better though.

8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Newly made over OL and still no run blocking

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    There were holes for the running game against the Eagles.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Nah, you're confused. The holes were in your underwear.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The holes are where your small brain is supposed to be :shrug:.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    First off, welcome back Winds!! Glad to see you again!! How have things been?

Now, to your point, patience. Rome was not built in a day. Part of an Offensive Line's success is continuity; something that our newly constructed one is still working on. It is going to be a bit longer before a more synchronized Offensive Line Unit emerges. Until then, have those Tums Antacids ready as the stomach aches will be commonplace due in part to the growing pains that will follow. Not saying that the pains themselves will be many but there will be some severe eyebrow raising moments.....

..... moments that will also include the installation of a new Offensive System; another set of issues that deserve its own thread for more context.

• Like Like x 1
  13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Thorn.

Great insight. yes, as you quoted: "hard to extrapolate" data at this point. As I reiterated in my post (Mr. Broken Record, smile) I realize that the three games and Camp are such a "Small Work Sample" to draw any solid conclusions from. Nonetheless, it is all we have to go off of for now. That is why I am not getting overly concerned and I need those extra "set of eyes" from everyone here.

It seems that you have watched the games much deeper than me. Admittedly, most of my post is purely based off of the statistics from the three Pre-Season games but yes, I have watched about half of each game. Again, that is why I wanted/need folks to "chime in" here. Yes, is Ben ever going to line-up behind Center again? He has to. It is a definite necessity.

Thorn, Ben looked great passing the ball. As I stated here time and time again last season, with quite a bit of kick-back from some, is that Ben's injury was/is more of a Two-Year Healing Process, Admittedly, I am no doctor and especially given the nature of his injury I am in no position to make any type of prognosis. However, what I do know from my Sports Medicine background, my other Sports-Related Professional Training AND Ben's "Heart", I was fairly optimistic that he would return much better this season from a healing standpoint. If the Detroit game was any indication of how he is coming along with all of this, I would have to say that as of right now, I feel pretty good (smile). He zipped the ball well and was extremely accurate. He made a variety of throws which was very encouraging.

Admittedly, there is alot of football still to be played and who knows how the arm holds up. I guess what I am saying is that I think his play last game eased some folks' minds. It did mine.

Another thing that did make me feel "GREAT" about Ben (I have to point this out) was that vintage "Playground Ball" play that he made. Unfortunately, "E-Squared" dropped it. I think that may put to rest some folks hesitancies about his mobility and his desire to go all out. It told me he is seriously "in this thing". Then again, I would expect nothing less from him.

Not that I pay too much attention to them but maybe his performance will clam-up some of the talking heads. I do not know if you heard some of the analysts this Summer stating Ben is the "fourth best" Quarterback in the division. I do not want to curse here but are you "fudging" kidding me I shouted to the ceiling when I heard that. The love for the other three is just ridiculous. As I say in these situations: "Unbelievable but Typical".

Take care Thorn.

14. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Knox!

I was about to ask around if you were still here. Okay, GREAT! Now we can officially get the season started (smile).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey steel machine.

Good Stuff! See, that is what I needed to hear/know. Admittedly, I have not watched the entirety of any of the games; about half of each one. So, that is good to know about the plays that did not count per se but still tell us something. Najee looks like the "Complete Player" as advertised. I have watched quite a bit of film on him. I realize that some fans (myself included) want to make Bell comparisons. Just the fact that he can be a Three-Down back is HUGE! He has the hands and speed to help with the passing game. That play in the last game where he took the pass, turned the corner and jetted up the sideline is exactly what we need. He can probably line-up at Wide Receiver like Bell. If so, this is going to just be a "bonus" for us.

We NEED him to be able to block. Bell was very good at this. Najee has the Physical Attributes to do this; especially as the Offensive Line is developing. I saw one play. it was in the Cowboys' game I believe. He did his job. Have you made any observations regarding his blocking? I am very curious.

Veering off abit here. Our Offense is loaded at the skilled positions. Freiermuth also seems to be the real deal. I know that some people are frustrated with Ebron and his drops. Me too. Some want to trade him. I am not sure what value he would bring to us but even so I do like Ebron and he is very athletic. I actually think that Ben and him have built some decent rapport. As a former #1 pick he has to do better though. He does not strike me as the type of person that wants to really perfect his craft. I could be wrong. It is just a gut feeling. It just "feels" to me that because he is so talented/athletic, that he does not have the "desire" to push himself over, and into, the "Elite" category. He really has the stature of a Wide Receiver and again, he just makes our Offense that much more potent. No trade, no way!

Back to Najee. I am setting the bar high: "Rookie of the Year". How about that for added pressure (smile). He can handle it. I would just be glad for him to play a key role in helping us win it all. He seems like a very humble and selfless person. The life story is inspiring and I think it has him grounded. That is one fork in the road (thank goodness) when comparing him to Bell.

Take care steel machine.

16. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Could it be that we're just not tipping our hands in the preseason games? I'd love to think that a lot of what we're doing "publicly" is more of the same from last season.

Haven't we heard from Ben and other sources that the plan is to be under center more and to even have Ben move the pocket? Ben was quoted as saying that there are changes in this offense that he has to prepare for. I don't think that just means terminology.

So I have to believe that we haven't seen Canada's offense yet. Now, some of that might also be because our OL wasn't ready to implement it. The starting line hadn't played together as a unit before the Detroit game and frankly, there's still some wiggle room as to who will actually be starting week 1.

Fingers crossed that there is change coming and that we're able to embrace it and be successful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    najee 3.2 per carry.

team 3.5 per carry on the preseason.

5.0 per carry against philly.

2.7 per carry in detroit and dallas combined per team.

not great numbers. hard to tell in the preseason. hard to tell who was in the game at which position on the line during this time and hard to tell who got carries with these different lines that won't still be here running the ball either. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Ballage looks to be the ideal backup to Harris, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hard 2 know how much we would show during preseason, but I know there has been a handful of plays We have run that I haven't seen us run in a long time ...if ever, and a couple are plays we've run before ,but dressed up a little differently.

20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Wardismvp.

Speaking of Hines Ward for a moment. I am writing this a it relates to your Board name. I am thinking that you are a big Hine's fan. How can you not be (smile). I wrote a post somewhere about him during the past few days regarding his Hall of Fame possibility. He may not have the statistics to get in. Here they are below. I am not sure how they compare to other Wide Receivers that are in the HOF.

TANGIBLES

Years Played:
    14 (Being with one team for his whole career has to be a major consideration IMO.)

Games Played:

Pass targets: 1558

Receptions: 1000

1000 Yard Seasons: 4 Consecutive

Catching %: 64%

Receiving Yards: 12,083

Yards/Catch: 12.1

Touchdowns: 85

Awards:
    • Super Bowl XL M.V.P.
    • Three team Most Valuable Player (MVP) selections.
    • Four-time NFL Pro Bowl selection (2001–2004).
    • Won Dancing with the Stars (smile).

INTANGIBLES:

• Heart of a Lion. Played the game the way it should be. All out every time on the field. NEVER left anything out there.

• The ultimate "Team Player". 100% unselfish. Always about the Team first.

• Truly Passionate about his "Job". The best professional one can be.

• Again, LOYAL. Started and finished as a Steeler. Rarely heard of.

• Best blocking Wide Receiver in the history of the game. One of the best blockers ever overall

• Mentally Tough. Played psychological games with opponents. Always in their heads.
      Constantly heard other fans state they cannot stand him but would want him on their teams.

• Played career with no (ACL) in his left knee. WOW!

I know there is more to add but I will leave it there. Again, this man deserves the Hall of Fame no questions asked. Unfortunately, we know how some of the voters are swayed and their irrational thinking. We shall see. I am optimistic he gets in. Let's hope so.

Again, I will leave it there Ward. I will try to get back to you about our Running Game. I think that my post here about Hines Ward should stand by itself. I hope you think so too (smile).

21. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    As I stated in another thread, Najee's successful run rate is superb so far. That's a much better guide than YPC. He's also had very little time behind the starters.

Successful runs are defined as follows:

1st down: Gains 45% or more of all yards needed
    2nd down: Gains 60% or more of all yards needed
    3rd down: Gains 100% or more of all yards needed
    4th down: Gains 100% or more of all yards needed

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hard not to agree with all that you wrote, helluva ball player . The ultimate over achiever.

23. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey Mac.

Absolutely. I agree with your quote: "hard to tell who was in the game at which position on the line during this time and hard to tell who got carries with these different lines that.....".

What "combinations" were used is always critical when making assessments. Again, I did not delve that deeply into all of that and again, admittedly, I did base most of my post here from the look on the surface; meaning the statistics. As I told another Board Member, I watched about half of each game. However, to your point about the combinations ("different lines") per se, again, I did not examine the TV screen that heavily. That is why it is important to get this type of feedback from you and others here. Other sets of eyes per se.

It is the same with the Quarterback play in most instances. How many times do we see QB "A" look great because he was working with the starters and QB "B" look mediocre-horrific as he worked with the "next tier" of Offensive Line players.

At this point, I really feel that at least 1/2 key problems have been addressed in the off-season. First, we got a potentially great Running Back on the team now. Yes, he has a long way to go but in all honesty he was the best RB in the Draft. We know all of the positives that he brings to the table; his versatility and athleticism. Let's hope that he makes the transition a relatively seamless one.

Part #2 (Offensive Line) though is still up in the air. It pertains to five guys as well as contributions from all skilled position players on the Offense as well as the overarching concept of scheme. Where the plugging in of a singular player at RB will hopefully be a simple fix based on just one guy, the O-Line is a more complex issue. Of course, it all has to work in unison. If the O-Line does not gel and become what we need it to be, than Najees' job becomes that much harder no matter how good of a player he may be. Again, schematics are big here. Let's hope that Matt Canada is a true upgrade from Fichtner and that all of the off-season hype about him materializes. In addition let us hope that Adrian Klemm is up to the task and uphold his end of the "makeover".

24. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Going to need all RBs on the roster.
    Who's going to be left in December?

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey S.T.D.

As I stated to another Board member, it is imperative that Matt Canada lives up to all of the off-season and pre-season "hype" as compared to Mr. Fichtner. In addition, Adrian Klemm has his work cut out for himself as well. This is why I stated earlier that we all realize that the Offensive Line is most likely going to be a work in progress.

Given that, the Passing Game may have to carry us for awhile. Hopefully, a short while. That may not be a bad thing if we can effectively apply the reverse adage of the "Pass setting up the Run". We may also need the Defense to not only prevent scoring but chip in on "scoring events" of their own. This applies to the Special Teams as well. This can be a direct score and/or creating opportunities that lead to scores.

We have the Offensive Weapons to score points. No doubt about it. Looking at the glass from a half-full viewpoint, the Running Game was statistically dead last in rushing last season; so, it cannot get any worse. We do though need a marked improvement from our Rushing Attack. If we can statistically, navigate our way into say the middle of the pack of the league, that should make teams respect it enough so that they cannot make us one-dimensional and just focus on trying to shut-down our passing game.

This is going to have to be a "collaborative effort" for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1