1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The National Anthem

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by steel machine, Jul 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    We have a local paper that lets people send in comments and then they print them. The people of my community love it. I just read a couple comments about the "Black National Anthem" is to be played before each NFL game. I'm not being racist here but shouldn't our country just have one national anthem?? All races and creeds have fought together and a lot have died together for our country.

What is the Black national Anthem????????????????????????????????????????

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Lift Every Voice and Sing. - written 1900 or somewhere around there. It was sung before the Super Bowl and just before the star spangled banner. Think of it as the NFL’s way of saying we know this is important to you and you’re in important to us. At least that’s the way I think of it. Much ado about nothing. Of course the usual suspects will get their panties in a wad, but that’s what they do.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My heritage wants a Italian, Polish Nation anthem.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Wasn't there more Irish slaves than African-american? Let alone the Chinese that built the railroad? Which song did they choose to be sung before the games?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    how many Irishmen are playing in the nfl? Chinese? And no there weren’t more Irish slaves. The Irish were indentured servants that came voluntarily. The Africans weren’t volunteers. You obviously fell prey to that stupid Facebook meme

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    oh the irony...

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Oh yeah, what could possibly go wrong with this thread?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Nothing promotes societal unity like playing two different national anthems. And all this time I thought “separate but equal” was the worst example of racism. Irony abounds in this modern world. Well, times change….

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Not endorsing it for NFL but NHL already does something similar, albeit two separate nations/countries. My old saying is: "There are two kinds of people in this world - those whole divide the population in two and those who don't." A conundrum wrapped in an enigma. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Showing respect for the two nations upon whose soil you play, isn’t exactly the same thing.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I think we're actually in agreement - I was just pointing out the precedent for multi-anthems before sporting events. I don't think what the NFL is doing will unite anyone nor anything. I did find it interesting though when traveling through western Canada back in the 90's, the restaurant menus were all tri-lingual: English, French and Japanese. But again - those are 3 different nations/cultures who dominated the population (travelers and residents).

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Lots of places don’t plaY their nation anthem before sporting events. I was in Australia, right after the Gulf War, Aussies were involved, and they decided to play the Aussie Natl Anthem before the 1st game of Aussie Rules Footbsll season. They didn’t do that before or after. There was some debate about whether they should continue or not.

in Brazil, where I used to go often in business, most people barely recognize the national anthem. It’s only played when a president is sworn in or similar events. Personally, I’d rather play no anthems than two.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I think they should Play Symphony of Destruction before every game. Get some hype going!

• Like Like x 4
  14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Seems to me that, if you’re looking for racial parity, you should stop categorizing people by race

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No...That makes 2 much sense.

16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Name 1 country that never had slaves

• Like Like x 1
  17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    What does that have to do with it?

18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm going to go on a different tangent. Why do we play the national anthem at all at any sporting event? Think about it. It's entertainment and it's two American teams playing against each other so it's beyond redundant. Every country plays sports so it's not about patriotism although portrayed that way. And to those appalled by what I'm saying, why don't we play the anthem before every TV show which is also entertainment, you'd get sick of it real quick.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers just a food for thought kinda thing.

19. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.