1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How excited are you about the new #32?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Seven4Steel, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    As the days have gone by since the draft, I've begun to allow some excitement creep into my little mind regarding our running game.

Lord knows how the OL will play, or even who will be starting, come regular season, but dammit if I'm not getting hopeful about the prospect of some better run blocking, regardless.

And if there's some decent run blocking going on, I think we've got something/someone really special for Ben to hand the ball off to. I know what he did in college. I know his pedigree. I know his story. I knew that all pretty well shortly after the draft. But I wasn't as much a fan as I am becoming to be at this point.

Najee, by all accounts, is an extremely highly motivated young man with exceptional talent. And not only does it seem that he's putting in all the physical work to be ready for the Bills week 1, but he's also dedicating himself to the mental aspect of it as well and studying like a madman.

This is an exciting kid, imo. Maybe a stretch, but I think we got our Sidney Crosby. I really do. When Ben hangs them up, we might not have a qb as the captain of the offense for a while. And if Najee balls out like I think he can and hope he can, he'll have possibly established himself as the leader of our offense. His work ethic alone will command respect and hopefully set a standard for the rest of the skill positions as well as engrained himself as the OL's darling. If the road graders fall in love with the kid and really want to block for him, it's going to be really (for lack of a better word) exciting.

Just my thoughts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Najee Harris is wearing 22, not 32.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    DJQ.gif

• Like Like x 4
  4. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    The new Franco "Harris," but I shouldn't have expected you to make that connection. Do try to keep up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Sure. That's what you meant. Honest. :hehehe:

6. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I certainly didn't mean for you to come to this thread and not contribute, but that's where we are.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I felt it was important that a thread about Harris get his jersey number right. Adding correct information about the subject of the thread is contributing.

I think your overall point is a bit optimistic. I like Harris, too, but calling for him to be one of the most dominant players in the sport is a bit much.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
  9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I don't know about the next Crosby, but he should have a good 3-5 year run.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Also It's really easy 2 root for this Guy(Harris)IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I'll wait and see if he pans out before having a kid crush on a player who hasn't played a down yet. Not knocking anyone who is being optimistic but I'm a show me kind of guy. I do have both high hopes for Harris and pity for him relying on our OL. JMO.

14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I expect him to make the oline look competitive. He's way ahead of where dumbBell was at or ever made it to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Is there going to be #32 this year?

Who was the last #32 on this team?

16. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Maddog, scribe beat you to it, but you're both right. I don't mind giving scribe credit for being right since it happens so infrequently. You gotta throw an old dog a bone every once in a while.

I shouldn't have made that statement the way I did, for a few reasons. First, Najee won't have the impact on the Steelers that Crosby did on the Penguins because his shelf life is a fraction of Crosby's. And while scribe is right to point out that calling him one of the most dominant players in the sport is a bit much, he could very well be one of the most dominant at his position for the next 3-5 years. Unfortunately, his success is more a factor of supporting cast than Crosby's. But even Sid benefitted from the right chemistry at times and suffered without it others.

My geeking out over Najee is because of the combination of humility, desire, and ability. I think what we're seeing right now from this rookie is rare. And @Steel Hog is spot on as well. We haven't seen anything from this kid, when it actually counts. I've just been looking for a throwback type of player with character AND ability for a long time. My optimism isn't really warranted yet, so I'm jumping the gun a bit. I just like rooting for, and being a fan of, men who actually deserve it. I'm ready to pull the trigger on his jersey, but I'll wait until at least mid season to see how things pan out. I haven't even considered buying a Steelers jersey since I bought my second #84 (pre melt-down, I think it was 2016). AB burned me. I haven't gotten over that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    No one has worn it since Franco. That's sacrilege. The only reason it's cool to think about it being worn again is if it would have the same nameplate. #32 shouldn't ever be worn without "HARRIS" attached.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I totally get it. I'm geeked over the kid, and I didn't want us 2 draft him. LoL.
    Just because of the whole 1st round thing.

Been thinking about His jersey also, and I usually get D players jerseys.

The only O players I've ever owned are..Bradshaw , Ward, Ben, Bettis (which I can't wear because someone bought me a SmediumLoL), and Steward(Which is totally F*<ked because I stupidity welded with it on)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Translation: You made a ridiculous comparison and finally came around. Thank you for the latter.

20. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Actually, the translation is that that I'm not as perfect as you think you are, and I'm comfortable enough in my own skin, and confident enough about myself to admit when I'm wrong. You're welcome. Subscribe.

• Like Like x 2
  21. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I am excited for him, even as someone who generally isn't a fan of taking RBs in the first. Dude seems special. OF course, we have yet to see him carry the ball as a Steeler and the line is a huge question mark so I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm at this point.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I would suggest you start admitting you are wrong every time, but I don't want to encourage you to post that much.

23. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I would think a certain #36 would take offence to your post.

You know, the new 'Bus"

24. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I was drawing the parallel between last names, and even though still not the same animal, Najee is much more Franco than Jerome. I don't think anyone, even @Formerscribe on one of his binges, would compare Najee Harris to Jerome Bettis. Wait, I'm giving him too much credit. He thinks Bettis is a rapist, so yeah, he would unapologetically argue that Najee and Amy Lee (lead vocalist from Evanescence) have the same running style if it gave him a reason to debate someone.

25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The only Steeler jersey I have ever owned, a gift that even I feel unworthy of wearing, lol.

• Like Like x 2