1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Spillane

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You were the one who dragged this off-topic with your ranting about Bush.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    You're funny.

3. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Hehe, you just can't help yourself, can you?

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It helps that I have you to mock. You make it very easy.

5. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Whatever it takes to make you feel better about yourself.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Still off topic? Nothing to write about Spillane? You already embarrassed yourself with the victim-blaming and your ignorance regarding the Bettis and Roethlisberger situations. Maybe you should switch back to the original topic.

Given your lack of faith in Bush and Williams retiring, do you think Spillane can take the big step forward the team will need from him?

7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Spillane gonna see the field without injurys paving his way? Idk

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Robert Spillane was 14 years old, and living in Illinois when whatever happened in Milledgeville Georgia happened that night. Maybe we should talk about Spillane instead. We wouldn’t want the poor guy to get a complex over his personal thread being hijacked with this crap.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    ... Anyway!!!!!

Seems to me that Robert Spillane can carve himself onto the starting lineup. That said, if I am the Steelers, I would be keeping my eye on what transpires after the NFL Preseason. Could be another solid depth piece by that point. One never knows.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That would be my bet at this point, that he and Bush will open the season as the starters at inside linebacker.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    And OJ is innocent.

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    In regards to Ben and the Georgia incident I think some of you guys need to binge watch Law and Order and SVU because I'm not sure you know what a rape kit is. Basically it collects physical evidence along with the administering doctors observations. It doesn't prove or disprove rape or distinguish between rough sex and rape just if intercourse occurred and the evidence thereof.

As to what happened? I don't know and don't really care too. I will say this I think there is a fine line between consent and being resigned to something happening that you can't stop.

So Spillane, yeah like the guys motor like the desire he shows and hope that he has taken the next step with the opportunity he has been given. Of course I like dirty red's hussle too so take that as you will.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am rooting for him, if my memory serves me correctly he reminds me
    of one of his coaches that use to ILB. Jerry O. Another great Pitt Panther.

14. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    What I was responding to" "...she tried to leave and I think thats when Ben was probably bullish on that and continued." If someone wants to stop having sex and you force them to continue, then that is rape. Please explain how that is a leap.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Because your imagination is painting a picture I am not. If two people are making out and she decides she doesn’t want to go further and he kisses her for a few more seconds trying to convince her to continue, that is not rape. You would need an extremely sympathetic jury to even get a sexual assault conviction for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I hear that myopia is difficult to live with. Care to share your experience? On second thought. Nevermind.

Back to the topic, however.

Spillane showed me that he's a very good, albeit one-dimensional, linebacker. Straight-line burst and tackling are his strong points. He's also instinctive and wreckless (in a good way). But I don't think he's nimble enough or polished enough to take on slot coverage or negotiate handoffs (switching coverage from one receiver to another). So no, unfortunately, as much as I like him as a wrecking ball, I don't think he's going to take as big of a step forward as we need from him. He'll be good in rotation and in limited packages. Spelling a starter indefinitely will be problematic. And then there's the chance of injury based on his style of play that could limit his availability. I like the kid, but he's not the answer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Ok, so then it was kidnapping and sexual assault (assuming what was continued was not actual sex but just making out). It was posited that she tried to leave and Ben stopped her and continued whatever was going on at that time. I'm not sure that really comes across as any better.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Now we are up to kidnapping! Wow, so Ben threw her over his shoulder like a caveman, like she was a sack of potatoes and took her into the bathroom. Ok, this is getting good :popcorn:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    You're a little slow on the uptake there, Blast. I was already making that connection on page 2 of this thread. Great minds think alike? (Please don't ban me for saying you think like me.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I am not saying that Ben did any of this. I was responding to what someone else suggested that Ben did. If Ben continued whatever was going on after the woman made it clear that she wanted it to stop and if he prevented her from leaving then yes, that is at least kidnapping and sexual assault.

21. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    To my untrained eye, Spillane is basically a lighter, younger and quicker version of Bince. Good run stuffer, below average in coverage. He will have to be a film room rat so he can gain a positional advantage because he doesn't possess the speed or quickness to cover out of the backfield. I'm able to separate admiring the guy because he does the best with what he has from what I expect from him. I think he's as good as he's going to be right now. Having said that, they are not going to be very good inside if he has to play a significant amount of snaps. Doesn't mean he isn't deserving of a roster spot as a spot starter, back up, or to spell the starters. He is what he is. A player they plucked off of a practice squad to replenish a position that was depleted by injuries. Williamson is not a whole hell of a lot better, but he or someone else they could get would have to be a an upgrade.

22. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I basically agree but think that Williamson is not better at all. I didn't see anything special from him at all.

23. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The article/film study I posted to start this thread has those reversed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Read it upside down and it will make more sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats not kidnapping but I’m not saying he prevented her from leaving anyway, in fact, it’s likely he said fine, GTFOOH and pushed her. Either that or she pulled away from him, slipped and fell. Probably the former.

I think the only thing Ben was guilty of in that room was being a d-bag.

• Agree Agree x 1