1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Doom or Boom Friday

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Fe3CCity, Jul 9, 2021.

1. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Did we really miss Dupree after his injury or did we miss the combination of Bush, Dupree, Gilbert, Spillane, etc? I'm not downplaying the hurt it put on our LB corps but I think our defense wouldn't have missed had it been just one of those injuries. It's was the culmination of injuries that killed us IMO

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Dupree was a Tomlin success I'll admit that. He's a good linebacker, dangerous at times. Steelers will have an answer at rolb, might not be Highsmith but double digit sacks from that position is not out of the picture with Dupree playing for Vrabel.

3. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Dupree's speed to the qb when the pocket collapses will be hard to replace. We'll miss that. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

i agree and have always thought bud was underrated against the run. that was his strong suite i thought. highsmith should be better in year two then as a rookie. as long as the arrow is pointing up, that is a good thing. as with most team, when you have good starters the backups don't take their place unless there is an injury. sutton did alright when called upon. the others wouldn't be starters if the guy behind them were equal. you don't just pull a guy thats playing well just to give another guy a shot normally. sutton played his role at the time and pierre learned. you can't fault any of these backups for that. now it's their turn. just like anyone before them, you have to start somewhere. troy didn't start immediately. timmons didn't start immediately. porter didn't. harrison didn't. heck, ben didn't. many others didn't either until their time came. give them a chance to see what they can do before we pass judgement and call it silly. compare highsmith to buds year one and it's much closer. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    That is a good point. The D was decimated with injuries down the stretch, TJ was the only healthy starting linebacker at one stage. It wasn’t just Duprees absence that caused the D to struggle. Haden and Edmunds also missed some games iirc. It all adds up

I do think Dupree is a superior athlete and a better player than Highsmith but if Alex can reach his physical potential he very shouldn’t be a liability by any means

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This is exactly what I’m talking about. You are unable to have a rational discussion about Dupree

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My friend that counts.
    No???

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't think some realized how Good Dupree was at stopping the run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I also think that the 1 week injury for Nelson vs. the WTF combined with Haden getting hurt in that same game was the #1 reason that we lost that game. Anyone remember Layne getting turned around badly for a critical big play?

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes...that and the refs letting someone walk away with the ball , and running time.
    I've never seen that sh!+ be4, and they allowed it 2 happen.:shrug:
    Should have been a delay of game penalty.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Oh yeah, that too. I had repressed that memory. Thanks for opening it up again!

12. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I agree that Dupree was exceptional at times. That will be missed. However, he could also be counted on for ill timed off sides penalties. Sometimes a couple of them a game.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    See Glemm's post. I'm in a corner now...lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Also How the Hell did Alex Smith win Comeback Player of the Year over Ben???? With 6 tds ,and 8 ints.
    I bet Ben could have 100 tds , and 2 ints and still would get passed over for MVP.
    Comeback player should have been in the bag.

15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Dupree would have been our best anti-Lamar weapon Glenn but we have other plans.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What are those??
    Since you are on the know.:smiley1:;)

17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Have the Ravens needing help to get to the dance. :hehehe:

18. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Alualu was also playing at a pro bowl level until he got hurt, even when he came back he wasn’t the same, Vince got Covid and also never looked right after. The whole D was just a beat up, weary unit for the stretch run.

The Steelers were a damn good team last year but the injury bug bit at exactly the wrong time. You need to be healthy and rolling in December

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    The defender the Steelers really miss:

Ryan-Shazier-featuredv.jpg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Some fans need to rewatch that playoff loss to the Browns, with Highsmith and Marsh playing in Dupree's spot the run defense was terrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Because Smith's comeback was the better story, I think he was close to losing his leg.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    This 100 times over.
    Rewatch the playoff game last year. They run off tackle to Highsmith side and gash it.

Bud, I would suggest, is a top 15 edge setter if not 10.

Back to the real topic.
    Are we all really sold on an UDFA to start 50-60% of snaps and preform as well as Nelson?!?!

That's some crazy expectations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t think Pierre plays more than 25% of the snaps unless there is a significant injury to Haden or Sutton

The slot corner position is the big gap, they need to find somebody for that role.

Defence is taking a step back no matter what happens

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    C'mon man. Watt was good at getting run by too. No ilbers or hurt ones are also to blame. The D-line can be blamed as well. There is enough blame to spread around the defense besides those two.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was even blaming the water boy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1