1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Are we expecting too much of Najee Harris?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by The Sodfather, Jun 16, 2021.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Good point about AV as well he is a better run blocker than a lot of people think..TY for taking the time on the film study and it shows a lot of problems we must fix if we intend to run better ..I hate to say it but our run style and our run approach was sofT...I think our new OC and our new OL coach are trying to change that...Klemm likes to maul people you can see that on his college tape he takes it personal as a good run blocking OL should.. I wished I knew what was going on with DD as he is a good run blocker as well ? Poor Pouncey had a very bad year he has always been a bit undersized to take on huge DT'S IMO after snapping the ball he was such a Athlete that he made it work most of the time...His lower body injuries caught up to him big time and even with perfect technique he couldn't get any movement last season...

I worked with a Line Coach that was always screaming we need that A gap ..He coached both lines and begged us play callers to design inside runs and design A gap blitzes on Defense.. We listened as he would design his Combo blocks and we would add the FB/HB or WR assignment to help win control of that gap if needed..Once you won that gap Defenses would pinch LB'S and start shading DL towards the A gap this made it much easier to run to the edge ...My point is even on the NFL level you have to pick your bread and butter and get good at it to force Teams to adjust we seemed lost in that regard for awhile..I hope we find our go to stuff...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Spot on PWP, I'd like to see some runs for positive yards even when they know it's coming.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You did that video? Nice work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    What are you expecting from Harris?

Is 70 yards a game on the ground to much?

How about 50? I think we can all agree he will be fed the ball enough to get 50

Is 30 yards receiving to many to ask?

How about 20?

50/20 puts him at almost 1200 total

70/30 puts him at 1700 yards

I think if he stays healthy... his floor is 1200 and his ceiling is prob 1800

He should be in the mix for rookie of the year if he stays healthy

HACK

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I expect 2000 yards for the season along with 30 TDs!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Just to clarify, you do mean 2000 yards and 30 TDs rushing (to go with his 1000 yards 15 TDs receiving) don't you?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I thought that was assumed but yes.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  8. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Easy guy to like and root for.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Until he gets on to social media.....

Just a thought from a grump

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He already is grumpy

12. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012

I think a better question is touches. If he is involved in the passing game are we looking at 350 to 400 total?

Over a year what's the average plays ( I get there will be one more we can do math) that a team runs?

1100? 1300?

Are we looking for 1/4 of our touches? What did CMac get 2 years ago (percentage).

I don't think it's crazy to think a third of our O goes through najee and I think that's high but on par for a 1st round RB.

*Insert wheels being run off joke*

13. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I can hear the eye roll

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1st thing I thought. I really wish him well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I like Najee but behind this O Line I think he will struggle mightily. People on this board are in for a rude awakening when it comes to how terrible this O Line is. Someone said Cincy May have a worst one I would question that.

We have two tackles who on paper are below average NFL starters, a rookie third rounder who will most likely take time to develop, a free agent guard that ranked as one of the worst interior lineman in football last year and Dotson who showed upside but still unproven starter.

I mean if there is worse I pity the team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Always with the doom and gloom :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Are you talking just for Harris or total per game for the team? I mean, at 85 rushing yds per game last year, this squad was dead last in the NFL by a large margin with next to last being Houston at 92. I think we all agree that the rushing game has been piss poor for years and not being able to count on 1 damn yard on 3rd down is pathetic. Nowhere to go but up. However, we'd be delusional to think they'll magically be even in the top half of the league with an all new OL, rookie RB, new coaching staff, scheme, etc. It could happen but just too many unproven unknowns at this point.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Or you will be wrong and pleasantly surprised.

People sleeping on Green and won’t take him as long as some are predicting. Moore I think will taker longer but we don’t need him to step in right away.

My concerns would be with the tackles in pass protection but that can be mitigated with game planning. You can’t get to the QB when you throw in 2 seconds no matter how bad you are at pass protection. What they need to improve on is when they take shots down field, give Ben enough time then.

I’m under no illusions that this line will be a top flight unit but you and others are way to heavy on the doom and gloom.

And Harris will be in the running for ROY, book it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Steeler fans expecting too much?? Nah, never happens.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Fixed it for you.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Is it doom and gloom when it’s most likely a reality? I mean which part am I wrong about? Sure I can hope all these guys pan out. Hope in one hand **** in the other see which one fills up first.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Id love to be wrong because to me this is by far our biggest issue, that and Ben staying healthy which are somewhat correlated. I mean I don’t know much about Green so maybe he’s a rare day 1 starter who fell to the third rd? Besides Dotsons potential upside I don’t see how these guys could excite anyone. Not seeing it but let’s see how camp goes.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They might not be the most talented OL, but I think the new blocking scheme will help them, and having a more talented RB will help too. They were ranked 32nd last year in rushing, they need jump up at least 10 spots that seems reasonable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    New OL, new RB, new TE and new coach. I expect major improvement.

• Like Like x 3
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Or a Chinese fire drill