1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Lions have released Jesse James

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, James is a better blocker than Gentry. He's a better player in pretty much every way than Gentry, who is a bust.

Rader hasn't proven he can be anything more than practice squad material. James was a solid backup tight end who could fill in as a starter. Rader might have more appeal because he can play special teams and he is cheaper, but James is easily the better tight end.

2. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Oh please no

3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I was never a fan of JJ ( and I'm a PSU fan ) ran 3 yards, catch it ( Sometimes ) and fall down, He was like a gangly Giraffe...Couple that with not being a great blocker.........Oh, And when he couldn't even hold onto the ball when he was stumbling to the ground against the Cheats,costing us home field, and you know the rest.........

And like a few have said, He probably won't sign for the league minimum....IF we allocate any more money this off-season...I would hope it would be for an OL or OLB, as opposed to a 3rd TE......

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t think it happens now. Not after drafting Muth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He may look awkward running after the catch, but he actually did get some yards after the catch. He wasn't a great blocker, but he was a decent one, probably as good as anybody currently on the roster. Also, he wasn't stumbling to the ground in that loss to the Patriots. He was reaching the ball out for the goal line. Maybe that was a mistake, but your description of the play was not accurate. (Also, the replay official, Al Riveron, got that call wrong, as he did multiple times in favor of the Patriots that season.)

I would rather see them spend money at cornerback, outside linebacker, or on the offensive line, but James wouldn't be a bad addition.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah I think we can forget about JJ coming back for now, TE is just not a priority. If Ebron is gone next year there will be a spot on the roster for a #2 behind Freirmuth, maybe then.

They desperately need help at OLB, corner and safety. They have nothing behind the starters. Melvin Ingram, Justin Houston, Gareon Conley and Malik Hooker are all still available and would be good additions if the price is right and they can clear some cap room. If anything happens to Watt or Highsmith in particular you’re looking at Cassius Marsh taking over!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1