1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

They're saying Tomlin is most overrated coach possible ever. Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, May 21, 2021.

1. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    It's interesting how you rose-colored-glasses wearers view those with clear lenses. No one here WANTS the Steelers to lose/suck/tank/fail as you seem to think. Just because I don't like how things are going/have gone and am passionate about my "unhappiness" doesn't mean that I would rather the Steelers fail just so I can say I'm right. I believe that's the feeling of the other curmudgeons around here and around the world who want more success for the Steelers than they, and we, have experienced for a long time. I want to enjoy my favorite team making hay in the post-season. That's the goal, after all. I don't subscribe to the philosophy of regular-season games being the benchmark of a successful season. And yeah, yeah, yeah, bla, bla, bla, you have to win regular-season games to get to the postseason. How much did all those regular-season wins mean when we got embarrassed/bounced out of the playoffs?

So I complain because I feel we're underachieving and squandering seasons of opportunity. It doesn't mean I'm fair-weather, less of a fan, or desirous of being right over the Steelers' success.

• Like Like x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Here's a pacifier for you.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Oh look I have another stalker.

4. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Don't flatter yourself. You've got the market cornered on stalking people. I was just making a joke about me being one of the people who are said to only be happy when they're unhappy. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    First, we're too angry when we don't subscribe to your point of view. And now we're babies because we disagree with you. I'll take the pacifier...you can have something else to suck on.

And yes, @Blast Furnace, I realize that I retaliated to his passive-aggressive attack and that I deserve to be called out for it while his attack will get swept under the rug. Consider this my pre-emptive response, stating that I'll now back off. Let's just be aware that he'll likely continue to stoke this fire and get away with it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Hope you are a young fella if you plan on seeing another Super Bowl team. This organization hasn’t been further away from that goal since the mid 80s. We had a chance to rebuild and test out Mason (Even though I don’t believe he is the answer) instead we are fooling ourselves into another wasted 500 season or first round playoff embarrassment. We won’t get a top 5 pick which could have happened if Mason Blows and we have 0 shot at a Championship so what the hell is the point?? Make the hard decisions and move on, unfortunately this spineless Rooney doesn’t have it in him.

Rooney is really the root of our problem and there is no getting rid of him. I rag on TOMLIN cause he sucks but at this point it’s not his fault. If a moron keeps making the same mistakes over and over but continues to be allowed to do it who’s really at fault? Not the moron he doesn’t know any better it’s the person allowing it to keep happening.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Man you are wasting your time with these guys. If you don’t think the Steelers are going undefeated and winning the SB with the greatest coach of all time you are a troll, Ravens fan etc. being realistic isn’t any option you have to wear the glasses or else Glenn will trash you!

I buy Steelers gear for my family and myself because they are my team and always will be I just don’t need to announce it like Superfan #1

• Like Like x 1
  8. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    You are the one whining and complaining. FYI it's much better to analyze and understand than to sit around whining and complaining.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Well the team has an opportunity to compete for the Superbowl last year so....

I'm hopeful they can compete again this season. There are several reasons to believe the team can compete for a championship. That being said, I understand the team has some holes, question marks, and concerns.

It's difficult to have a rational discussion with fans who have extreme points of view like, "Rooney is the root of our problem or Tomlin sucks".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Listen I hope you are right that we can legitimately make a run this year but with Old Ben and TOMLIN I just don’t see it. Ben is on a severe decline and TOMLINs track record in the playoffs speaks for itself.

If Ben can play under center and utilize the running game, if the OLine isn’t horrendous at run blocking, if we stay completely healthy on D, if the corners in a nickel package can hold up, if TOMLIN gets shot into the moon………maybe??

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    So... was it fact or fiction that “they were saying Tomlin is the most overrated coach possible ever”?

I feel we are yet to answer this.

If a fact, we then need to ascertain if Tomlin could, indeed, be the most overrated coach possible, and whether those possibilities include only this world or other possible worlds, and if so, whether such worlds must follow Euclidean geometry.

45 minutes, answers on my desk at the end please.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Your victim complex runs deep.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I can see your point but is a successful season only if your team wins a Championship??? If that's the case 31 teams in the NFL have unsuccessful seasons every year.

The way the Steelers ended the season left a real sour taste in our mouth so to call that a successful season is rough. Now say they went 12-4, losing those 4 games at various times during the season and had a nail bitter with the Browns but still loss, I would say that's a pretty decent season for an NFL team.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly. Though you would still have the exact same amount of Wins, and Loses.
    I still say people 4 get how bad the Buccaneers looked at times last year.
    Yet they won the SB.
    Some teams heal and Gel at the right times. Some get hurt, and fall apart at the wrong times.
    Its Football. It has always been this way.
    One for sure thing. If you don't win enough games 2 make a playoff....then that season is a failure.
    I know We all want more for the Steelers, but that's not realistic.
    Sh!+ happens.
    I'm mean from some point of view the Pat's sucked for 14 of the last 20 or so years.
    I mean they didn't win a SB.
    Oh wait they won some playoff games, but really who cares if you get knocked out of the 1st round or the last.
    If You lose ....No SB.
    Get there 1st.
    I'm I a Mike T apologises.
    No. Many things I would change, but he is who we got...So as of now I ride with him.
    Hell there is not a coach I can't find faults in.
    Hell Bill Belacheat is one of the worse Draft coaches I've ever seen.
    Most of his success comes from others drafts.
    See you can pick apart any coach.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Lot of people say Tampa started winning when they put in Bradys offense but that’s bs, he was just learning a new system with new language after 20 years of running a different offense. Once he got it down, that’s when they started playing better. Then defense after some earlier struggles came on and the rest is history.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Edgar Allan STD

17. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    :facepalm:

18. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    You need some new material.

19. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Out of all the objective opinions I have, us having a successful season is subjective. A season's success is different for everyone. For me, in VERY general terms, a successful Steelers' season is when they achieve their potential. And obviously, that potential is perception, again, different for each of us. I blather on and on about wasted opportunities. Again, perception. As has been stated, injuries can derail promising seasons. I totally accept that. The football gods giveth and taketh away. Nothing you can do about that.

But number of wins and losses in the regular season, especially when we habitually lose to inferior opponents, don't matter as much to me as how we progress through a season and that we're playing our best ball in December. I get it that some people hang their hats on winning percentage. That's fine for them. It's just not my way of thinking.

If we are heading into a dark spell without a franchise QB and have to suffer through a period of mediocrity, it won't be the record at the end of each year that I look at as an indication of success. It will be how we competed. It will be how we fought through adversity. If we achieved our potential, whatever that may be, I will look at that season as a success. If we're no better than a 4 win team and win 6, then that season is a success in my eyes.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And you need to stop crying about the treatment here. You are free to leave if you feel mistreated. You actually called me out to express that, that’s almost as bad as telling a mod or site administrator to ban you. There was a former member here that was dumb enough to do that.

Maybe start looking at yourself and your own behavior instead of blaming others. If you can’t see the difference between someone saying here’s a pacifier and suck my dick, that says it all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It's not a fact. It is an opinion. It may be an accurate opinion, but it is still just an opinion.

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Simmer down Old Glory. I was just messing with you.

• Like Like x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe the the hypocrisy in this statement is why you keep getting abused?

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    My take is if we're putting out 4 win teams we should be talking regime change not how we scraped out an extra win or 2. But that's just me. Maybe Buffalo will be W 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The answer is yes.