1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Haskins vs. Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Jun 6, 2021.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe he is saying Ohiost has way better talent over all .
    IMO .
    I have 2 agree.
    In the SEC their are only a few teams anyone takes seriously outside of the SEC, and Ohio St. happens 2 Be one of them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I hope they switch up who runs with the 1st team when Ben's not in. Give them both a shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    okay so its between Haskins and Rudolph.... at this time, right now, with no summer QB coaching on footwork etc., Rudolph is the better QB, at this time he is the BU, Haskins has to prove a lot to over take that

• Like Like x 1
  4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Norte Dame still be taken seriously?
    SEC phhhtt...Big Ten :thumbs up:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Mason is ready to Start now. Unlike last year with Randy; the Steelers should not have a problem switching to Mason in the middle of the game if they need to.

I think Ben will play more in this preseason just to keep Mason off the field. Ben is going to be more involved in the OTAs, Minicamps, training camp, and preseason games just to limit Mason's playing time with the 1st team offense.

Good news is that Mason signed that extension, so he is not just auditioning for a team next year during preseason.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Dobbs arm is no slouch if ranking them all 3 on just Arm strength Dobbs would be #2 out of the group, he has no touch on the deep ball and he ain't quick to the read either as a player as of yet .. He does have more wheels than both and he could force a Team to play spy,when a team has to do that it can show some chinks in the armor .. I see no problem with forcing a team to play left handed a snap or 2 ..More if it causes them problems..On any level a mobile QB is and can be a threat so to use all your tools you have in the bag is not a bad way to get the job done..To me it's level be damn you still have to block and tackle so a extra guy to tackle changes the entire scheme a Defense wants to run.. If the Rat's QB could not run he would not be a starter he may not even be in the NFL..So I would not discount mobility on any level..It means something trust me..

7. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Mason hesitates too much and seems unsure.
    The only reason Ben might play more is to get a feel for the new center (O-line in general) and maybe some timing with Harris. He's definitely not doing it for any other reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    how many qbs from either school has made it big in the pros? Ohio state had so much talent around these qbs that in the college game they are so far ahead of most of their conference competition. I watch Ohio state every week. Mason was one of the better qbs to come out of Oklahoma state without blue chippers all around him. I think the competition in that conference is much closer in talent amongst teams. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    note: Haskins trophy winners, the dude is slow and awkward when running the football, can do it I suppose, but not the guy when it come too scrambling and extending the play, he needs to work on his footwork and progressions , right now he is a first look no progression QB w not very impressive footwork and scrambling skills, thats why I, right now, am not eliminating Dobbs

• Like Like x 1
  10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    First off, I call BS about Dobbs arm. Watched every game he played at UT and he could never throw into tight windows with any accuracy. His deep throws were always heave it up and pray kinds of throws. IF it was actually caught was because of a superman type play by the receiver. The UT game plan with him leveraged his scrambling and didn't rely on his arm. If you didn't watch him play in college or watch his film, his numbers back that up too. He hasn't had much opportunity to show anything different since being in the league. Second, if putting in a backup QB to run a few bootlegs every game is so smart, then why isn't everybody doing it? You're seriously overestimating this guys skills and capabilities.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Lol why do people still keep a candle in the window for a guy who couldn't beat out Duck Hodges, Mike Glennon, or Jake Luton?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Maddog, I'm probably going out on a limb here but I'd say of all board members you are having the hardest time waiting for season to start.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if you would have watched the games you would have seen it too. they could switch to the run game when he struggled and make the other team change the defense and then he would throw TDs on play action or get trounced against the run. they were so much better then the teams they were playing it allowed him to do that. it's not that way in the pro's where he's struggling and the true ability is showing. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I'm an SEC guy and Bama has been the dominate team since Saban's arrival, yet they have not produced many successful QBs at the next level (Florida used to have the same problem). A similar argument can be made about Clemson (ACC). So these programs have all the talent from top to bottom but most of their QBs do not make it at the next level.

OSU is not alone in having talent but not producing QBs at the next level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    If this OSU grad who watched every play "watched the games" I would have seen these fatal flaws?

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Because the Team is keeping a light on for him and the NFL..As long as he is on a NFL roster and has a good arm and is mobile he has a chance to get better.. We know he is good at film study and reading Defenses lots of sources have said that..He just has not showed the ability to transfer that to the field..We didn't even see him last year maybe he has already Improved ?

One thing we know for sure with this style of a OC he will have his best chance to show his skills and use his mobility..I think some will be surprised at what they see ..

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree. how good these guys look in college has no barring on their pro abilities. smoke and mirrors sort of that many fall in love with but it just doesn't translate to the pro game. barrett, jones, haskins, pryor all good college qb's and lots of wins and TDs, never did squat in the pro game. fields has yet to be seen , but i think he has a chance if brought along right and not thrown to the wolves immediately. between the ears matters in the pro game. :cool:

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i guess it will all change for him because he's a steeler now. i see. :cool:

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Fair enough we will see I guess ..I watched his College play and I thought he was pretty solid..He actually looked good in the NFL that one preseason until Tomlin told him to stop running..Maybe Coach T was forcing him to work on his other skills it didn't look good at the time , but that's been 3 seasons or so ago..https://steelersnow.com/josh-dobbs-vs-mason-rudolph-who-will-be-steelers-backup-qb-in-2019/
    a fair article a key point' Dobb's arm strength is on par with Masson's if not better..'

I look forward to the preseason games he may show very well if the scheme is correct and Coach T turns him loose..

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Not many Buckeye fans thought JT Barrett's or Pryor's game would translate to the NFL, and Cardale simply got hot throwing deep shots during a 3-game stretch on a loaded team with Zeke Elliot running for 200+ a game. That's why he was just a 4th round pick.

Haskins had legit pro potential coming out, as of course, does Fields. This is probably Haskins' last chance to make it, we'll see with Fields, but I don't think he'll flame out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Florida still has the same problem.

And Texas Tech prior to Mahomes, which I repeatedly brought up to helmet scouters who panned Fields because JT Barrett didn't pan out.

22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Because it was all politics. I feel like a broken record explaining this... But they went to scout James Washington. Tomlin fell in love with Rudolph. They then waste the Martavis Bryant pick on Rudolph. Now fast forward, Ben was probably injured before the season started or 1st game of the season against the Patriots. Right after that game, Dobbs is traded. You know your QB is injured and traded your 2nd or 3rd string wtf? Then Ben comes out and throws 15 passes and out for the year. They really thought Rudolph was the guy and didn't want any distractions. Think about it, Rudolph played like ass for a long time and kept getting chances. Why? Because everybody was like well our back-up is an udfa who played college ball at Samford. Lets keep giving Rudolph a chance. But if Dobbs was the back-up, people would have been screaming for him to get a chance a lot sooner. Thus not giving Rudolph every chance in the world to succeed.

You get it now? You see the trickle down stupidity that goes on around here with Tomlin in charge of things.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    A couple of questions of on Asked and Answered that says things better than I can:

TAYLOR SHEPHERD FROM ROCHESTER, NH: Are you at all surprised about the praise Dwayne Haskins has been receiving, how good he's been in the OTAs, and do you think he has a chance to pass Mason Rudolph as the backup on the depth chart?
    ANSWER: The "praise Dwayne Haskins has been receiving" came from Ben Roethlisberger and it had to do with his arm strength and how the football looks coming out of his right hand. There is way, way, way, way more to playing quarterback in the NFL than the ability to throw a pretty pass and do it with some velocity. And OTAs are nothing like real football, because there is no tackling, no real pass rush, and the defense is doing little, if anything, to disguise coverages and/or make life difficult for the quarterback. I'm not here today to denigrate Haskins, but simply to caution you and others to dial back the expectation level for a guy who will go to training camp at the end of July having to earn a spot on the 53-man roster.

CHARLES ARTWELL FROM VANCOUVER, WA: We've got four quarterbacks on the 90-man roster that will go to training camp, but only three will remain once the cuts are made to 53 players for the start of the regular season. In your opinion, please rank the four as of this week.
    ANSWER: Ben Roethlisberger, Mason Rudolph, Joshua Dobbs, Dwayne Haskins. I put Dobbs third and Haskins fourth based solely on experience with the Steelers.

He has been consistent on this topic for some time for whatever reasons he has. Still only an opinion and things will get sorted soon enough.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    When Urban went to OSU he basically turned them into an SEC style team. Tressel was still running a "Big !0" type of team and things changed soon after he left. I call OSU the Alabama of the North as they both have the most talent of their respective conferences and their biggest strength is the depth on their rosters that wear other teams down. Clemson and a couple others are up there or getting close to those programs and its becoming a 3-5 team NCAAF league it seems. Now, if my Irish could just lower their entrance qualifications they could get close too. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually he did beat out Hodges but then was traded so Steelers brought Hodges back.

But I think Dobbs is what he is and not some hidden gem going unnoticed on the depth chart of multiple teams. This coming from a one time big Dobbs fan.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1