1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Roethlisberger impressed with Haskins' arm

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Jun 1, 2021.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This! Dude was tight with Landry Jones and trusts what Dobbs is telling him .

• Like Like x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Just a thought, but it takes two to tango. I think Rudolph has as much to do with the rift as Ben does.

I think Mason Rudolph is a competitor. He wants to be on the field. I think Mason thinks he is a NFL starter. I can see how this attitude could wear thin on Ben, especially if the skill isn't there to back up Mason's determination.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    We've all seen Rudolph play and there's nothing to be threatened by. He's a bum so there's nothing to compliment like there is with Haskins.

I gave my free expert opinion on Haskins years ago in line with what Ben is seeing. He left college way too early and went to a horrible organization. He reminds me of early Ben with better wheels. But at the end of the day it's going to come down to if Haskins wants it and can leave the bad influences behind. His coach is Tomlin so I don't have much faith there. But hopefully it works out because Rudolph is trash.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    ...and Ben didn't like that the organization thought they could push him with that trash. I don't think it was Rupdolph's talent or lack thereof, that threatened Ben. It was simply that he was brought in to compete. Mason is the first real "threat" to Ben's place here, regardless of talent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    But SDOT isn't Dobbs our future starter? :hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The reporter asked him about Haskins, why does Ben need to throw Rudolph a bone to massage his ego. Think people are reading too much into it. Rudolph’s spot on the team is secure, Haskins is not, Ben is trying to give him some confidence.

Anyway, it’s the X’s and O’s That trips Haskins up. I told this story before but one of the Washington coaches said Haskins actually does work hard, puts in the study all week and then come game time on Sunday, he said it becomes clear Haskins doesn’t know whats going on. He cited one play where Haskins threw to a receiver who was setting a pick.

He was thrown to the wolves in Washington, I’m sick of hearing about Rivera too, he’s the gold standard in coaching now? He didn’t even want Haskins, you see that all the time where coaches don’t have the patience with players they didn’t want.

Steelers have nothing to lose by giving him a shot and everything to gain.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

@Steel_Elvis already said such earlier in the thread; lottery ticket. Either he performs up to his draft status and the Steelers will have the answer at QB or he does not and he gets cut. Either way, does not affect Pittsburgh in any substantial way as I am sure the team is committing its due diligence via the 2022 QB Class anyways.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    He could've been if he was given a real chance. But Tomlin got too locked in on Rudolph and wasting draft capital which he's a pro at.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    it's not Haskins' arm that people are worried about.

it's his head...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think Buzz Aldrin will introduce Dobbs on his Football HOF induction, either that or Mike Tomlin will give his Nobel Prize intro speech. One or the other.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Ben doesn't need to throw Mason a bone, that being said this is passive aggressive Ben at his finest. I'd be surprised if he wasn't at least 30% worried about the coming season because all his security blankets are going missing. He has never had to worry about the hook, this year he might have to.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I do’t see it Thorn. I know he’s been passive aggressive with things he’s said in the past but now he’s also being passive aggressive for not talking about a player he wasn’t asked about? There was no reason for him to say anything about Rudolph. He didn’t say anything about Dobbs either and we know he actually likes him.

I don’t think Ben is worried about being benched either, you really think Tomlin would bench him? Steelers didn’t bring him back just to sit him down, even with the discount he gave them. He’ll play even if body parts are falling off and he throws more completions to the other team then his.

14. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    there is no sophistry in this post

15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't know about the quote he may have been just responding or could be Ben being Ben where he thinks he is being witty and cute with the media and it comes across way different than intended. Who knows.

Now as for part 2 yeah I don't think Tomlin will ever bench Ben because like I said before he has a blindspot where that is concerned. He knows he has won with a 50% Ben and lost with a 70% but still was in the game until the final whistle. That is Tomlin. The question is what does Ben believe and is the staff in his corner as well? Canada isn't going to be a rubber stamp and if Ben can't do what needs to be done he is going to speak up about it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well there goes your expert opinion. " he reminds me of early Ben with better wheels "
    Since Ben ran a 4.75, and Haskins ran 5.04
    JMO, but I believe that makes Ben wheels a little better.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I remember her... Glad I lost that number and grew up hahahahahahahaha

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i believe we finally got mason the help he needed. he may help haskins but i believe it will help mason more. if they allow mason to flourish under the new guidance. i think mentally his football mentality is head and shoulders above haskins. will they commit to him or is MT truly already committed to having haskins? mike sullivan will help. canada will help. this is the first time we have had the true coaching that was needed to bring along and fine tune a QB as we should have had. maybe they finally realized this is bens last year(s) and now was the time to bring in a true qb coach that can make a difference. it was never for ben because they knew ben never was going to be told anything. now in his twilight they can focus on the replacement and ben won't really matter at this point to undermine the process.

mason has never had the true qb coach that he should have had since he got here. haskins is probably the superior athlete but i do believe mentally rudolph wins hands down. a cannon does you no good if you don't know where to shoot it. now if they can find a way to keep and hide all 4 backups and allow sullivan to work his magic with them , the future could look bright. i don't think we need to draft another qb but to sign who we have and use those picks to keep bolstering the positions around who we have. i don't care what mason did in year two when he was thrown at the lions. i don't care what haskins did at washington. i don't care what dobbs has done in the past. i don't care that rivers is from a D2 school. we have talent here, ben will play out his time and then we will see the cream rise to the top of these other guys. it may be a year it may be two but sullivan will make a difference and help clarify the situation. just my opinion. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That’s 2004 Ben. 2020 Ben moved like he was underwater, carrying a 300 lb. squat bar on his back.

• Like Like x 2
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ah yes, hanging on to frayed rope hoping that Haskins will grow up under Tomlin.
    Dobbs a starter :roflmao:

Rudolph isn't trash but he isn't the answer either.

Ol Ben the stiff is all they have for a chance to compete at this point. Hope he doesn't get "Worn Down" :facepalm:

It's high time to draft the QB of the future in 2022 no matter what.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I think that's what they'll do, I think they have been preparing for just that. They see these guys in practice every day. In my opinion, I think they know what they have with Rudolph and they are not convinced, nor will they be, that he's the Next One. They'll likely give Haskins a fair shot, but they don't have the luxury of time to allow him to develop, if he does at all. He's either going to take a leap forward, or they will cut him and move on.

Contrary to "expert" opinion, Dobbs is a 3rd string camp arm tweener. That's as good as he's ever going to be. Don't forget that other teams have scouts and they are continually looking at 31 other rosters to see if there is a diamond in the rough. If Dobbs even remotely showed promise as a decent every game back up or potential starter, he'd be long gone. Could the Steelers be wrong about him? Possibly. The whole league? Not likely. They keep him around because he is intelligent, is familiar with the organization. He does what is asked of him and doesn't complain. That makes him a good team mate, not a starting NFL QB.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    That's irrelevant. You'd have to watch him play to understand. First off, Haskins is a pocket passer. He doesn't drop back and give it 2 reads then rely on his legs like Jamar Jackson or a lot of these young QBs. That's what I always liked about him. But if he has to run he can and a lot better than Ben ever could. I don't care about 40 times.

• Like Like x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but he said he reminded him of EARLY Ben but with better wheels.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    If only we had kept Ryan Switzer, Ben would have had his 3-yard target open all game, every game and he would lead the league in pass attempts and break the record for lowest average per catch for QB's with over 200 attempts. Hook overted.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, he’s definitely getting the support he needs.