1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

4 reasons to sign Edmunds long term

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 29, 2021.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Interesting piece indeed. Not the read itself but the author. Tommy Jaggi has been one of Terrell Edmunds biggest detractors since he was drafted.

Regardless, none of this will be a factor. Should Terrell play to a Pro Bowl like I believe he can, he is likely to price himself out of Pittsburgh. No way Pittsburgh can afford both and T.J. Watt all at once. All this said, should the QB situation somehow be figured out by then, Kyle Hamilton would be a WORTHY Terrell Edmunds replacement for him.

Getting him will be no small feat though; a Top 10 to even Top 5 talent in his upcoming class. For those more interested in him, please check out the video below;

This guy is SERIOUSLY giving me some Kenny Easley vibes.

If not him, look for Isaiah Pola-Mao. Troy's cousin. Really interested to see how well he performs this season.

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well I'll be .
    I actually agree with you.
    LoL

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Extend him before that.

As for Hamilton, I brought him up in the Bill Nunn room. I’m hoping his lack of top end speed drops him. Speed or not, he’s a heck of a player.

• Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Really those stats only show TDs that 4 sure was his man while giving up TDs.
    Doesn't mention TDs he gave up because he was in the wrong place, or TDs he should, have ,could have prevented when another let one go.
    Plus on tackles it doesn't show the ones he missed , then later made 25 yards down the field after someone else slowed the guy down.
    Watch the Games my friend (which I believe You do) not the stats.
    For the 100th time stats can be very misleading, and twisted into a lot of things.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Top end speed?! Looks like he runs a solid flat 4.5 to me.

Even if he runs in the mid 4.5s, everything else about him is Top 10 worthy... and I mean everything else. Isaiah Pola-Mao is still an intriguing target though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Steelers won games with average Edmunds last year. Teams can win with average first round picks. Edmunds still has time and room to grow as a player.

The Steelers or the market will determine Edmunds value.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    His speed isn’t a selling point, his explosiveness is. His 6-foot-4, 220 pound frame with a 40-inch vertical, 12-foot broad jump and a 1.66 10-yard split is what will get him drafted high.

I haven’t seen him clocked at 4.5 but when he runs a 4.33 like Troy, let me know ;)

That lack of high end speed could drop him. At least I am hoping it does.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You are referring to his High School Numbers I take it?! If that is the case, things can change for certain. Even if he simply runs a 4.5 flat, that will be enough. Everything else is there for him. That said, speed is not his game; instincts are. That is where his true power lies.

So long as he has very good speed, he will dominate. Remember, Ed Reed ran a 4.57 and look how he turned out. Not saying Hamilton is on the same arc but there are other ways for success as I am oh most sure you should know by now. :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ed Reed went pick 24. Hamilton’s 40 time will go a long way in determining what pick he gets taken. You know very well a poor 40 will drop a lot of players.

If you want him, you better hope his 40 drops him.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Sure will. However, some players are exceptions and not rules. Kyle Hamilton looks to be that exception. Measurables, football IQ and instincts like his can make up for it.

Bear in mind that initially, I did say that if the QB situation turns out well in addition to Edmunds pricing himself out of Pittsburgh that Kyle Hamilton would be a stellar replacement. I never stated that signing Terrell Edmunds was a bad play; only that if he plays well he will likely play elsewhere. Furthermore, I myself doubt we will be within striking distance for Kyle Hamilton anyways. Isaiah Pola Mao though looks to be an interesting study should he have a successful Junior Year.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Well even if we don’t agree on certain things doesn’t mean we can’t on others.

The only reason I pound so hard against TOMLIN is because I truly believe he is an albatross to this organization.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The team also had not-so-average first-rounders like Cameron Heyward, Minkah Fitzpatrick, T.J. Watt, and Bud Dupree on that defense to cover for the disappointment that is Edmunds.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    :roflmao:

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Reality is they didn't extend the 5th year option. Why? Because he is NOT that good. Improving? Some. Baby steps. His 1st round status was a reach.

Looks like they will let it ride as they should to see if he improves enough to justify a another contract. I'm in that court.

If he shows much improvement then offer him a decent deal next season.

• Like Like x 1
  15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Edmunds is the least of the Steelers problems. Same with Rudolph. If the O line and CBs don't pan out, it doesn't matter who the SS or backup QB is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    He's already shown that he deserves another contract IMO. No,he wasn't worth his draft position and no, he wasn't worth paying that option year. This doesn't mean that he isn't worth keeping at the right price.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You don’t have to sell me. We are in agreement on Hamilton, we just differ on where he may get drafted and a lot can happen between now and then to alter the course.

• Like Like x 1
  18. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Color me perplexed.

Universal agreement that they shouldn’t pick up the 5th yr option on that stiff Terrell Edmunds, but.....
    Universal agreement that they should extend the contract on emerging Pro Bowler Terrell Edmunds.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    5th year option is more money against current cap while contract extension locks him in and potentially lowers cap hit this year giving them additional money to get a one year rental player.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Suppose you're looking for a prostitute. You're not going to pay Double D cup money for a C cup girl but she's still worth C cup money.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Indeed there is. All the more reason to look forward to a return to "normalcy" for College Football in 2021.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The key phrase there is "at the right price."

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's the emerging Pro Bowler foolishness that has me rolling my eyes. Maybe he takes a massive leap forward at some point, but nothing he has shown so far marks him as anything resembling a Pro Bowl player. It makes me wonder if some people are trolling the board with a hot take even they don't believe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    ok, I get it. That Terrell Edmunds sucks is not the issue. It’s just that he doesn’t suck at a cheap enough salary.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Some people actually started thinking he didn't suck just because he finally intercepted a couple of passes in a game against a terrible quarterback on a terrible team.