1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

4 reasons to sign Edmunds long term

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 29, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Some good points and I still believe they will sign him to an extension.

• Like Like x 2
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agree some good points, but....:shrug:

3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Edmunds like many others will need to earn a contract extension from the Steelers or another team.

Keeping Edmunds and Fitz together might be a good combination for the future of the Steelers secondary. Only time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not totally against it if they can sign him to a contract appropriate for a safety who is league average at best.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Only on Steeler friendly terms. And when I say friendly, in this case should
    be extremely friendly terms. He hasn't produced to where he was drafted.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yes, we should absolutely extend him if the contract is appropriately sized to an average starting safety. He’s still improving and has superior physical attributes for the safety position. He should continue to improve, or at worst remain at the same ability level over the term of a contract extension. By all accounts he’s also a good guy and teammate, which is important as well. The only issue that I have ever had with Edmunds is that he has not yet been worth the draft capital that was invested in him, but it’s not his fault that he was drafted too early.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yes sign him. keep this duo together. :cool:

8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Agree that they should re-sign Edmunds if the salary is sensible. He is not terrible, he just isn’t a first round talent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think the Steelers are in a good spot in relation to his future contract. He's still very young and showing improvement. They have the chance to get one more year of evidence to see if he makes some big jumps or flat lines.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The 4th reason is not a good one. First of all, there won't be as much money as they probably think, and you shouldn't just spend it to spend it.

11. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    People still think Edmunds is a good safety?? I swear I feel like some of you guys don’t even watch the games! Watch that Browns playoff game and focus on Edmunds.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Who played well vs the Browns? One game doesn't make a career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    How many years do you need to see a first rd pick underperform until you realize he is what he is? A below average starting SS in the NFL. He has no ball awareness and cannot cover. If we extend him it’s just because we have nothing better which considering this coaching staff wouldn’t surprise me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Edmunds can cover. Most SS probably don't have great ball awareness. It's one reason why they play SS. The negatives are all you will see if that's where you choose to place your focus.

I think he improved. Most people believe that Edmunds improved. What is his upside? No one knows at this point.

The Steelers will extend him if they believe he is worth a deal. They will move on and find another player if they don't believe Edmunds is worth a contract extension. There are always other players waiting for an opportunity. There is an NFL draft every year. So it will have very little to do with the narrative having "nothing better".

15. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I thought he improved through the the first half of last year but quickly regressed by years end with the playoff game being the cherry on top. Let’s agree to disagree here because neither one of us will change our stance on this one.

And if you look at the roster and safety depth right now we don’t have anyone better at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I still think the 4-3 or the 4-2 is the way to go ..We need 1 Big strong fast LB to play the strong LB and take all A gap responsibilities and then Bush is the #2 in a 2 LB look and in a 3 LB look Edmunds is the #3 ..IMO if Edmunds is allowed to play in the box he can be above average as a Outside run stuffer, he can be a force as a blitzer as he should over power RB'S protecting the QB..He can play that hook zone or flat zone as not as much reading and reacting and a lot less acreage to cover .. He can man up on TE'S or bigger type WR'S and use his size and strength to harass them at the LOS..

So my take is if intended to be the Robber and forcing Minkah to play deep or him being the deep guy in a Cover 1 or 2 most of the time I think we should pass...If we intend to move him into a Hybrid role then I would say go for it by all means..

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Since Edmunds and Allen in '18, they have invested very little to nothing to acquire S depth at either SS or FS. A truly maddening thing to me come draft time. This year they picked Tre Norwood in the 7th and Brooks last year in the 6th. They've mostly relied on Dangerfield and Sutton/Hilton as an emergency S. I cannot explain why they passed on some good prospects these past couple drafts but I am more concerned about the FS depth than SS.

No one even knows how good Dangerfield, Brooks et al would be coming in full time at SS since Edmunds hasn't missed a game. So there's that too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    This is the point that jumped up at me in the article. The writer is suggesting we sign him just because we can? Just damn! That's my ex wife's philosophy, no dollar shall go unspent, regardless of need!

My other issue is the writer missed reason #5 to resign him.

Reason#5. So the guys at thesteelersfans have someone to complain about. We're Not going to have Ben around much longer and need someone to take his place as team scapegoat.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Terrell Edmunds 2866 defensive snaps. Coverage %. Year1. 59.5% 2. 72%. 3. 55.6%. Gave up 6TDs.

Jesse Bates 3286 defensive snaps. Year 1. 63.3%. 2. 62.5%. 3. 54.3%. Gave up 8 TDs.

Justin Reid 2711 defensive snaps. 1. 65.1%. 2. 62.5%. 3. 69.2%. Gave up 10 TDs.

so bates has more tackles and interceptions but has played a ton more plays since his offense was bad but gave up more tds. His completion % against isn't really any better at all.

Reid is by far worse in tds against and completion against %.

Edmunds after you really check out the stats is better. This beating he takes on here is really from people not actually checking out the facts.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I suspect that missing their top DB (Haden) weakened the entire secondary more than people realize.

21. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    It's probably because some people believed he was drafted to high. The Steelers thought he was worth the risk.

One poster believe he had superior attributes for the safety position but believed he wasn't worth a 1st round pick. Superior attributes makes me think a player is worth a 1st round pick. No one knows how well players will adapt to the speed and mental aspect of the game.

I don't think Edmunds is as bad as some believe. Average players can last a long time in the NFL. Can't have superstars everywhere.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Reid has the highest average over 3 years actually. Reid 65.6 Bates 60.13 and Edmunds 62.36

Isn't Bates at FS?

23. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Injuries really hurt the Steelers in the middle of the defense more than anywhere else. I look for teams to exploit that weakness this season. Steelers need more speed at ILB. How will Bush perform?

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This is key and he’s still improving. If he takes another step forward like he did last season, they’ll have a real good player on their hands.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That's what he is, an average player. You don't win by spending first-round picks on average players. He has the physical tools, but he's not a playmaker. He also wasn't a playmaker his final year at Virginia Tech, so it shouldn't be a surprise that he has only three interceptions, two sacks, and no forced fumbles in three full NFL seasons as a starter. Pay him like an average starter and I have no problem with keeping the guy around, but as others correctly said, it needs to be a very team-friendly contract.

• Agree Agree x 1