1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Happy Memorial Day Steeler fans

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel machine, May 29, 2021.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Wanted to post this in honor of all deceased vets but especially for my fellow Nam vets who didn't make it out:(

I hope all have a wonderful time with their family and friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sidebar: For my community this is a huge weekend. Brings in huge amount of dollars for us. The change in population is huge and if I'm being honest really annoying at this point in my life. Sadly for our business owners the weather is terrible and will hurt us. The owner of the golf course I'm a member at is going to lose out on 20-30 grand easy these next few days due to weather.

• Like Like x 7
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Thank you for your service @steel machine . Same goes to any other board members that have served. I hope you all have a great weekend.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    thank you SM. thank you to all who have served and died for this country, current and past. everyone stay safe whilst we kick off yet another summer season. yeah the weather sucks here too. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly same here .:this!:
    Thank You Vets.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Being a retired service member and a veteran of 3 campaigns myself, i never wish anyone HAPPY Memorial day, because of what the day stands for. To pay respect and to honor the deceased for their sacrifices and service to our country and to reflect and memorialize the fallen in past conflicts, that never made it home. Every Memorial day i go to the Veterans Memorial Cemetery here in northern Arizona to pay my respect's to my family member's buried there. Before his passing i would wait in line each year to shake Senator John Mc Cain's hand and to thank him for his service and for the many sacrifices he suffered during his time as a POW in Vietnam. For me its not a day for celebration, Barbeque, or sucking down brews!! A majority of Americans miss the point only because they are uneducated about the reason for holiday!! Big business has made a mockery out of the meaning and significance of the holiday and turned it into a big O party!! I challenge every American old and young to visit a National Memorial Cemetery where thousands of Americas Hero's are laid to rest and i guarantee they will walk away with a real understanding and a better respect for Memorial Day and its true meaning!! God Bless America and may God Bless all the family's who have lost loved ones during times of War or its just their time to meet their Heavenly Father.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Interesting thought which never crossed my mind since I've heard "happy M day" my whole life but I can see that point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The way I understood it is that Veterans Day is for all veterans, Memorial Day for those who sacrificed their life while on duty. But yeah, even presidents wish people happy Memorial Day.

Regardless of the day, thank you both and all the vets on the board for their service.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    It's kind of like wishing someone a Happy Good Friday. Not really appropriate. Id imagine Gold Star mothers cringe when hearing Happy Memorial Day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Happy Memorial Day to all. Remember and cherish our fallen in whatever way you 'd think they'd want you to. Semper Fi.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Sir,

Yesterday as I was checking out of the grocery store I politely said Happy Memorial Day. Then before I took half a step, I though exactly what you stated.

Thank you for perspective and service.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I learned about this after dating a girl who’s dad was a Vet. On the other hand, you have Steel Machine who served and he says Happy Memorial Day so, to each their own I guess.

I don’t say it anymore because the reasoning does make sense.

I still tend to thank the Vets but he didn’t like that either, made him uncomfortable.

So screw it, festivus for the rest of us! But yeah, thank you for all Vets past and present for your service.

upload_2021-5-29_20-27-9.gif

• Agree Agree x 3