1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

They're saying Tomlin is most overrated coach possible ever. Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, May 21, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Cowher record wasn't much better, he got in, Tomlin needs to win some playoff games, he will get in.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  2. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That's a dumb argument, only clueless fans say crap like that, you never hear any credible media person say he only won because of Cowher's players :facepalm:.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    So what, he got elected to the Hall Of Fame as a HC.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    If you don't think Ben was affected by all of that you weren't watching.

It's funny, when I don't cut the Steelers slack for an offseason, you call it "bs excuses".

When I do, you call it "more bs excuses".

I think you just like to argue with me.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m glad you brought him up, where is Switz now?? The only similarity is they both inherited a team that went to the SB. Switzer quickly drove his team into the ground, a team which some would argue was a dynasty. Tomlin took over a team that needed a miracle run to win a SB.

One is out of coaching and the other took his team to a 2nd SB and is in the midst of a 15 year run that has never seen a losing season ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    So what, he got his ring as a Steeler. :rawk:

Steelers > HOF

• Like Like x 3
  7. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Forget about anything before 2010. Forget about the Cowher's team BS for a minute. After 4 years, like in college, the coach now has his own identity with his recruiting(drafting) and personality in the team.

Let's focus on his last 10 full seasons when he had the best running back, best receiver and a top 5 QB in his prime at his disposal for most of those 10 years......

3 playoff wins. Those three playoff were against Matt Moore led Miami Dolphins. Alex Smith led KC Chiefs(didn't score a TD in this game), and AJ McCarren led Bengals team which if it weren't for Beavis and Butthead with late hits, would have lost that game.

When you look at the actual wins during the 2010's, it makes his performance even more depressing. 2 of those wins were in one season. which means the guy who has never had a "losing" season, has won 1 playoff game he should have lost in 10 years with all pros/pro bowlers in the 3 biggest skill positions in the NFL in an era where offense rules.

Here's what's more depressing. Who would they replace him with? Anyone in the league that would make a difference? I wanted Lincoln Riley but maybe he would suck in the NFL? I don't know.

In the end, unless the Steelers find a gem in the draft at QB next year, the Steelers are (bleep'd) for the future and that's without a 2 time super bowl champ hall of famer at QB, in which they were already (bleep'd)

If I confused you with this quote, I also was confused, because I have zero faith in a Mike Tomlin run football team of winning a Super Bowl anytime in the future. Yes, he won one in Feb of 2009. But it's 2021. There is enough evidence that his ability is no longer showing super bowl wins anymore in Pittsburgh.

• Winner Winner x 9
  8. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    :duel:

He was the example to the argument that you can't say a team only won because of the talent and the coach was irrelevant.

And that second Superbowl run was still largely Cowher players. :hehehe:

Can the season start so we have something real to talk about? :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Truth so pure.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You're not telling me anything I didn't already know :shrug:.

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They weren't Cowher's players, they were Steelers players, Cowher didn't put those teams together by himself.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    So you're absolving the players of failing in the playoffs, the last 2 playoff losses Ben has 6 turnovers, Bell only stayed healthy for one playoff. Blah, blah, blah Lincoln Riley :roflmao:, he can't even win a game in the college playoffs, get out of here with nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Funny thing is Cowher couldn’t even win with Cowhers players.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I liked Cowher, but some fans act like he was as successful as Noll.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Cowher is better than Tomlin, I think he could have had 2 or 3 SB’s if he had Ben the whole time, definitely would have gone to 3, who knows if he wins them all.

I think Cowher had some advantages though, like a stacked defense all the time thanks to being ahead of the curve on converting college defensive ends to 3-4 LB’s. But if he had a QB to go with those defenses, that could have been something special.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

That wasn’t Cowher’s doing.

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    So, not only do you want to start your evaluation the year after his team played in the Super Bowl, you want to throw out the season they won two playoff games. There is plenty of room to criticize Tomlin without misleading like this. I say that as someone who posted that the 2018 seasons should have been his last after the Oakland loss that season and I haven't really changed my mind about that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Tomlin also inherited a Super Bowl team that got there from a wild card spot after a late season revival. It wasn’t like they went 15-1 or anything.

Regardless, the Cowher’s players argument is silly. I swear the same people who drag it up complained when the OL went to **** after Munch left.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I agree Cowher was a better coach, but he had his share of playoff failures too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Whack

• Like Like x 1
  21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin might have been better in Cowher's era. Without Ben...:eek:

Back when defense was allowed to win championships. :hmm:

• Like Like x 1
  22. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Good times. Watching the NFL in the 70's made me a D guy but these youngsters following it today love those high scoring shoot-outs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Probowl rules anymore unless your TJ trying to get to the qb. :huh1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Ah yes, the DB coach who was gifted the perfect coaching gig. If there was ever an area to evaluate Tomlin as a coach it would be our secondary. Yet, it's been the weakest link/held this team back for years. No coincidence they go hand in hand.

• Like Like x 1
  25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'll add to this in the "what have you done for me lately" vein. Past 4 seasons were 0-2 in postseason with 2 of them missing playoffs completely and the other 2 with embarrassing meltdown performances resulting in L's.

2017 - embarrassing 1-and-done loss to the Jaggoffs and Blake mother-f@#%ing Bortles.
    2018 - sitting at home watching on TV because we had to hope that the stains could beat the rats week 17 because Tomlin's squad sh!t the bed 3 weeks in a row against the AFC west... the AFC friggin West...... !?!?!?! I mean, I'll give you 2 losses to the Chiefs and Chargers in 2018. But losing to the donkeys and the black hole with a combined 10-22 record????? Not good Tomlin.
    2019 - sitting at home watching on TV while the MT apologists swoon over his coaching prowess that resulted in an 8-8 season. But hey, not a losing season....
    2020 - embarrassing 1-and-done loss to little brother stains because they weren't prepared and walked in and got beeyotch slapped.

The MT apologists will explain away each of the things above by blaming it on Ben's lack of leadership, poor player execution, crappy coordinator play calling and scheming. And they will assign zero blame to the HC who should get all blame and/or credit for how his squad performs. He owns the results.

For the life of me, I just can't figure out what the MT apologists see that makes them feel like he can coach a stacked team to win the SB, let alone a WC or divisional playoff game.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3