1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben is in great shape

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jeh1856, Aug 1, 2020.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m just a grump

I know this because my loving wife reminds me

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Brees is no longer tier 1. He is an excellent decision maker but he has limitations in terms of mobility and deep throws. The unbelievable players around him have prolonged his career imo, best offensive line in the league, Kamara in the backfield and a dominant Thomas catching everything you throw at him.

Wilson is almost exactly the opposite, his line is brutal, hence all the sacks. Who has he had to throw to in recent years besides Lockett and now Metcalf? Seattle have not helped him in the draft, and Carroll runs a very basic offensive scheme there, something Wilson has been hinting at in recent times, almost pleading for change. The only reason they are consistently in the playoffs is Wilson.

When comparing QB’s you absolutely have to look at what is around them. It matters a lot. Jimmy G got carried to the SuperBowl last year for example, yet he doesn’t hold a candle to Watson, Brees, Wilson or any of the other top QB’s, even guys like Stafford are significantly better than him imo. Playoff wins is a reasonable thing to bring in to the debate but it’s not the only metric that matters when comparing players. You need help around you to have that kind of success.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Brees does have an offense. Can some of Seattle's woes on offense be Wilson's fault? I think so. He's a good qb, tier one is a reach. Could he thrive in a more complicated offense? I think he holds onto the ball too much to make it work.

4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    In his formative years perhaps he had a tendency to tuck and run too often. 2019 he was third in the league in passing TD’s, sixth in passing yards and only threw 5 picks. He is very efficient with the ball. I think he has come on massively in recent seasons and he is elite in my book.

We can agree to disagree on it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Where on the list does Ben fall on this far away planet of yours, where Wilson is equal to Cousins and Prescott?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Thought you tapped out groutbrook.
    It's all speculation from both sides.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I thought so to.

8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben would be tier 2 for most of his career because Peyton & Marsha had the bar too high. I'd take him over Peyton on a must score drive anyday. Marsha can jump off a cliff as far as I'm concerned.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Back on topic they had pictures of Ben and Juju talking today and again dude looks svelte like 22 yr old Ben.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m hoping the addition of Coach Canada makes a difference

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Was @Roonatic dragging things off-topic again, or was it @jeh1856, in his own thread no less...

12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    The only way Ben or in his prime Wilson make another SB is with a great defense.

Tier one...:roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not much else to do?

14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm just glad Wilson wasn't under center when we played the Seattle in the Super Bowl. Hell, I'm also glad we had the refs on our side that SB. I believe that game is in the NFL top 10 of terrible calls and missed calls by the refs.

I know those black and gold colored glasses like to say we got screwed a lot in that game but I've re-watched that SB 3 times and IMO the refs favored us big time.

15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I was joking.
    :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  16. cboath

cboath Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    I've got a great video from the NFLN's version of games they used to of all alt camera angles more or less and there's a great shot of a seattle lineman (probably the center, "blocking" Casey Hampton. He's square in front of him, with his arm reaching around with a clear as day handful of hampton's nameplate on the back of his jersey pulling up as high as the top of his helmet. There ump is right there seeing the whole damn thing, and no call. There's the great one, IMO, where hasselback is going down on his own and loses the ball and we recover it, only to have them give it back on a review because a defenders fingernail barely nicked his jersey as he went down of his own accord. There were bad things both ways. I'm just sick of then complaining about things that were clear calls - the holding, etc.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ditto

But thanks for the beer :smiley1:

:drinks:

18. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Sorry to bring back this old thread, but I just came across this. I don't remember it off-hand. Do you remember who it was or what it was about?

Also I love comparing this to a prison. I guess I'm the old guy pushing the library cart by now...

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Holy crap, where did you find the shovel to dig this up?

Nice to see they weren’t using the shovel to throw dirt on you. We’re they?

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Damn, I was hoping this was a thread about Ben working out this Summer.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I wish I could remember Snack. It will probably come to me while I'm sleeping that has been whats been happening a lot lately. Getting older sucks

• Like Like x 2
  22. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Haha I was trying to search for posts I made but I searched for posts with my name, and this came up. I miss this place! Y'all wild.

23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

Agree but also disagree with some of this actually.

Russell Wilson has won more games in his First 10 Seasons than any other QB in the 100+ Year History of the game sans Tom Brady. For that matter, remove Russell Wilson from the equation of Seattle and Seattle is by far and away the worst team in the NFC West. That said, you do have a point about Russell Wilson Second Half Season Meltdowns dating back to 2018 and still continuing to this day. Even so, Russell Wilson definitely deserves his name among the Top Ten at worst.

Brees I honestly feel bad for; more so that aspect is due in part to Sean Payton's lousy drafting of Defensive Players. Had Brees had the defenses he had during his final two seasons versus the the ones he had during the early 2010s, that Trophy Case in New Orleans could be looking a little different.

Regarding DeShaun Watson, 2020 is an outlier as Bill O Brien essentially derailed the Texans Season long before it began. For that matter, Bill did a great job of doing that since Watson's second season in the league.

Josh Allen, along with Justin Herbert I believe, are the only two QBs that could possibly match up with Mahomes in the AFC if we are factoring in their overall talent level. Big Ben cannot do that anymore as I believe he needs essentially everything just about perfect around him now but underestimate him at your own peril should he be fully healthy again. Doubt he will be able to ever throw those legendary long bombs but he should be able to recapture some of that magic again; his final bout against his 2004 Classmate Phillip Rivers being the latest example. Getting back to Allen though, he is likely the best QB in the AFC East and will remain so until proven otherwise.

Mayfield I agree 100% with. If anything, this might be one of Andrew Berry's biggest blunders here. Baker Mayfield essentially needs a Super Bowl Caliber Roster to even get him in the playoffs. For that matter, the Browns Roster in 2020 was among the NFL's best. Should Mayfield not reach the AFC Championship Game?!.... yikes!!

24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ben's legs looked completely shot at the end of last year. Not sure if that was injury or what?

Najeh should limit Ben's hits, hopefully that helps some.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Russell has work to do if he wants in the HOF. Yeah, tier 2 imo.

Go get #7 loafer Ben!!!!!

:herewego!:

Last edited: May 11, 2021