1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your confidence in these bets?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, May 5, 2021.

1. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    That's what she said...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Hey, its spring time man. Birds chirping, trees budding, and sun shining. Get out and smell the roses, bro!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    As usual, fair points. It just happens that my repeated opinions happen to be relevant to discussions in all those threads. I'm aware of my repetition to the point of stating numerous times that I'm a broken record with all this. I don't believe I've ever espoused my opinions regarding the direction of the franchise when they didn't fit into the conversation, solicited or not. I understand that many might not agree, but that isn't the point of all this. I'm just blowing off steam. I'm not happy with the decisions that have been made. I'm a fan. I don't have to be happy about things related to my team. And yeah, I took offense at basically being told to stop having an opinion until the season started when everyone here, including the person telling me to cease opining, espouses opinions before the season has started. And so I expressed that he could kindly STFU. Shouldn't have said it. Shouldn't have been "snarky." I accepted Blast calling me out on it, publicly.

Also, the few attempts at rationalizing an opposing viewpoint have been just as predictable and unremarkable as my broken-record views. If we're all throwing pennies at each other, don't call me out for not throwing dimes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:rolleyes:

7-9-1 this season or 9-7-1?! You have not made any predictions yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I think you've got the wrong end of the tantrum stick.

6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Ill drink to that.

7. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Nope.

8. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    But IMO you are throwing dimes - at times quarters or half dollars, or whatever you want to metaphorically assign comebacks like 'STFU'. There's a line to be had between attacking an argument and the person making it. What I've seen from some of your posts on the topic lately - relevance to the thread notwithstanding - is your quickly becoming frustrated with an opposing view (perhaps anticipating hearing a 'broken record' comeback), leading to you making more sarcastic and provoking comments toward the poster, visibly agitating them and leading the argument right off the rails.

Regardless of how another is acting in a debate and why, the onus is on us how we respond. Turning it to a more provoking, personal nature stops the conversation from being productive in favor of a trade of derogatory barbs and epithets. And that, IMO, is beneath you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This is why he was confused and thought I was coming at him, maybe he doesn’t realize he was copping an attitude.

It’s simple with me, I give what I get.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok, you didn’t make crap up again. You are just confused.

There was a think last year and still going on called a pandemic. I will assume you missed this.

There was next to no attendance at NFL games last year. Therefore revenue was down. Therefore this years cap is down. I will assume you just don’t understand this.

Many teams therefore signed a lot of people to 1 year deals that will expire at the end of this season. I assume you also just don’t understand this.

The Steelers have a lot of cap room next year. The following link will teach you. Good luck trying to follow.:

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/t...have-the-most-salary-cap-space-in-2022.26302/

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Only one Nostradamus.

An excessive number of Nostradumbasses here.

:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Omg, free agency! When the heck did this happen!

13. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    If you call that a tantrum, what do you call the entire board's reaction to the Freiermuth pick in the same thread?

14. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Damn, that was a fun read a week removed. BTW, a lot of you were disrespectful to those Steeler fans without televisions, who rely on their morning paper for draft results. Be better next time.

15. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    I'm not at all confused about the math. Within five days of the Super Bowl, months before the 2021 league year ends, the Pittsburgh Steelers will have 26 players under contract, leaving 27 spots to fill.

27/53 is more than half.

Sue your school system and former math teachers. They failed you.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Quoting yourself :rolleyes:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We are all very proud of you.

But you missed the point. Again.

18. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    The only point is that you're backpedaling and now only offering an explanation as to why I was right in the first place.

19. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Steelers fans without television? WTF is this, 1958?

• Like Like x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Try reading it again slower.

Edit: I just showed what I stated to my dog. She understood it just fine. Just saying.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    1. "Whataboutism" is a juvenile defense most often practiced by two groups: politicians/political commentators lacking any true sense of responsibility; and, similarly, children.

2. Whatever you think "the entire board's reaction" to the Freiermuth pick constitutes here, none of the other board members threw down a homophobic slur, let alone in reaction to being reminded of a polite board request clearly printed IN CAPS in the thread title. That distinction belongs solely to you.

Fun Fact: if you Google "example of reductio ad absurdum", literally the first result contains an argument a small child might make:

• Like Like x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    06969D3A-609A-4608-B5D6-52E8697C6B23.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  23. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    It wasn't "whataboutism", I was seriously interested in your opinion of people who behave worse but to whom you give a pass because you agree with them.

The newspaper crack was as joke that you would probably have laughed at if your head wasn't so far up your own arse.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  24. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    1. I didn't give a pass to anyone. You continue to deflect from your own behavior by slinging hash at everyone else and acting 'seriously interested' in others' opinion of them. It's irrelevant. The subject is your behavior.

2. I understood what your crack was getting at.

As for the rest of your commentary - I'm not a MOD, and don't play one on TV. But I think it's time for you to have a time out from here. It should have happened on draft night. But you're too ignorant to see that you were given a pass in the interest you take a moment yourself and reflect on your comments and how they contribute to the board as a whole.

25. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Okay, wait. You've taken one instance of stepping over the line and have tripled down on it. You've beaten one instance into the ground, stomped on it, poured quickcrete on it, watered it, let it set and cure, then took a jackhammer to it.

I immediately accepted responsibility for saying STFU. I have stated, ad nauseam, that I was wrong. Now you are stating that multiple posts of mine are made with sarcastic and provoking comments. I will unapologetically argue my opinions here. That's what we're here for, to voice our opinions. But to imply that I am making a habit of provoking, personal attacks that stop conversations from being productive in favor of a tirade of derogatory barbs and epithets is disingenuous.

And you are taking me to task over stating that I'm a broken record? Every single time I stated that, it was pre-emptively apologetic because I was, and am, a broken record with the same opinion. There was no frustration there. Don't make it out to be something that it's not.

I guess if there's any frustration here, it's that I'm spending more time trying to justify to you and blast that I have an opinion, instead of being able to voice it. I have an opinion. I attached a derogative comment to it. I accepted that it was wrong. Why am I still being dumped on for it? Good grief.

"He" is right here. But you two keep having your own bro-mance and talking amongst yourselves. And you said it, Blast. You give what you get. I copped an attitude and you gave it back. And I'm not confused. I actually read what is written. You admitted you don't and simply dismiss it.

You put your mod hat on and called me out. You should have. I was wrong. Please read that. I was wrong. No attitude. No passive-aggressive, snarky comeback. Just plain wrong.

But then you didn't just let it go. I don't know if you started responding as a mod or fan after that. No way for me to really know. It didn't stop. So yes, it looked/felt like you were attacking me, not my opinion. And I say that because I started defending my right to have an opinion, not the opinion. Why would I do that if I didn't feel my right to have an opinion here was being challenged?

I really want to let all this go and just move on past it. And I will be happy to do that as long as Thor doesn't come back with another misguided psychoanalysis and you don't continue his conversation with another public sidebar.

Can we do that? Can we just accept that I was wrong to say STFU and that I don't want to do something like that again? Please?

• Like Like x 1