1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a better backup RB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, May 2, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think we are past the point that Rudolph's college tape is relevant. That was a long time ago, mostly playing in a conference that didn't really bother with defense very much. The focus needs to be on his pro tape, which shows a guy who simply isn't very good.

2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I would have preferred an inside linebacker, but if the other option is to take Edmunds two rounds too early, I'd have been fine with it.

3. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Lighten up Francis.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    OK, we disagree. The last two games last year is the closest "support" of my opinion I can come up with since the dude never plays regardless of how limited or bad Ben is playing. I was more comfortable with MR in a historically significant game for and in Cleveland with vets resting than a rested Ben at home the next week in a PO game. Seems each time MR is in the game he is working with one hand tied behind his back with who is on the field with him. I really don't know (for a fact) who is best but hope whoever is should be on the field. That is my point and, again, regardless of how limited Ben seems to be, they never pull him and rather manipulate the offense to mitigate those limitations and that seems not to work so well. If Ben returns healthy, my opinion will change but not until he does or Ben calls me up personally and says, "yeah, I was ailing end of last season but I'll be 100% starting next season". Right now, I am going by the last things my eyes told me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m not ready to make a judgement on his pro tape considering he keeps getting dumped into the offense rather than fairly prepared. But mostly definitely his college tape is as irrelevant as your or my transcripts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph had opportunities to play with the starters in 2019 and after showing some promise early, overall, he played poorly. He certainly hasn't shown any reason why the team should pull Roethlisberger to get him in there.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't know about that. My transcripts are damn impressive! Who cares if I haven't stepped into a classroom as a student in over a decade! :lolol:

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe I mentioned his pro tape also.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You mean after he was blasted in the chin with a helmet , and was left pointing toward the sky???
    Apparently the Ravens were worried about Him that game.
    I agree I want Ben 2 play, but after He's done I want 2 see a whole season were Mason is prepared as the Starter.
    Not just thrust in willy nilly.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I can’t even pronounce some of the classes I took.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Decade? Heck, it feels closer to a century for me.

12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Would throwing 4 interceptions in a PO game and getting blown out be considered a reason to pull BB? Anything BB did after being down 28-0 is just garbage time stuff. What did we have to lose at that point?

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    One of the Ravens lit Rudolph up on a broken play and that is somehow evidence that he was good? Um, okay....sure...

Roethlisberger wasn't prepared as the starter when he took over as a rookie. That didn't stop him.

Maybe Rudolph can play, but mostly what we've seen so far are mediocre performances and excuses.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I went back to school in my early 30s. Undergrad was nearly 30 years ago.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sometimes I don't know what the F.... you are talking about.
    Were we winning be4 he got knocked out???
    So because he left the pocket it was a broken play???
    So L. Jackson, Cam Newton, Josh Allen, and D. Watsons ( I could come up with more just got tired of typing) majority of plays are broken plays???
    2 use when Ben was thrown in (Biggest Ben supporter) ,and compare it 2 Mason is way off.
    I would break down the difference, but if you just kind of use your mind you Know. If not just look up Starting O, and D when both 1st took the field.
    I also didn't say them lighting him up made him good. I just went back and checked.
    I said they seemed worried about him.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Allow me to try to help you, then.

Actually, the Steelers were losing when Rudolph was knocked out of that game. They took the lead later on that same drive.

A broken play is one that does not go off as designed. When the quarterback has to scramble to buy time before throwing, yes, that is a broken play. That doesn't mean it is a bad play, but it is a broken one.

Comparing the way Roethlisberger was thrown in to the way Rudolph was thrown in isn't off at all. Actually, Roethlisberger was thrown in as a rookie. Rudolph was thrown in as a second-year player. If anything, Roethlisberger was even less prepared. Yes, Roethlisberger had a better offense around him, but the 2019 offense wasn't devoid of weapons. They just looked that way because they had piss-poor quarterback play all season.

You implied that the Ravens lit Rudolph up because they were worried. That implies that he is somehow worth worrying about, which would mean that they thought he was good. The problem with that premise is they lit him up because he was the quarterback on the field and they got a shot at him, just as any team would do. Crappy quarterbacks get lit up, too.

Other than that, your post was flawless.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I commend you for going back to school. Hard to be the old man when you are the mere with the kids who went directly from undergrad. Been there. :thumbs_up:

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The best was the time I was in a class with a guy in his 50s. When he dropped out, I became the oldest person in the class. Then we realized I was also older than the adjunct professor who was teaching the class. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So all QBs get speared Helmet 2 chin in the NFL??? Again 2 compare the Offense that each started with is Laughable , and You know it.
    Not a weapon on the team older than 2 years, compared 2 a team with P. Burress, H. Ward, and The Bus ....just 2 name a few....who had all played with multiple QBs.....compared with a Offense that had rookies, and no more than 2 year experience starter for weapons, that had only played with one Qb in the NFL.
    Other than that . Your post was flawless. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1