1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Analyzing the botched 2018 draft.... Tomlin at work

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, May 8, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Leonard was higher than Edmunds in every ranking. Seriously, find one that didn't have him higher. I've asked others to show me one and they can't.

2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yeah, that Roethlisberger guy never amounted to anything. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He was ranked higher than the player they did take. That isn't hindsight. That is something we knew that day. There were many players who didn't just turn out better. We knew they were better that day. Chubb is one of them, but people will twist themselves into some truly ridiculous rhetorical knots to defend the Edmunds pick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Like you when you mention Chubbs knowing how silly that is. Might as well blame them for passing on Jackson, too.

You’re still hung up on ranking with about a difference in 9 spots and ignore that they both had rd 2-3 grades.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Mentioning Chubb isn't silly at all. He was in the discussion as an option on this very board that day. This idea that he wasn't on anybody's radar in the first round that year is just ridiculous.

I'm hung up on being right. I thought inside linebacker was the bigger need. I wanted the next guy, who was Leonard. He was rated higher than Edmunds. I certainly didn't want a safety with a third-round grade. Leonard has proven to be a vastly superior player to Edumunds.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No they weren’t, RB was so far down on the list of needs for a first rd pick.

They were both reaches and you are still using hindsight.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They were both better players than Edmunds going into that draft. That isn't hindsight. That is something that was clear on draft day.

It is absolutely fair to point out that both have turned out to be vastly superior players. It is misleading, at best, to dismiss that as hindsight.

I criticized the pick from the moment they made it. Leonard and Chubb are just two of many superior players the Steelers could have taken. I wish I had turned out to be wrong about that, but clearly, I was right.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Chubbs was but they didn’t need a RB.

Leonard was 100% hindsight no matter how hard you try to convince yourself it wasn’t. He wasn’t a first rd pick either, Edmunds is far superior as an athlete so it’s dishonest to claim that Leonard was definitely the better player prior to seeing them on and NFL field.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Not only that but the Steelers thought Bell would return.

It's hard to believe people get so butt hurt about this draft ish.

Teams spend countless hours and millions of dollars related to the draft and get the picks wrong the large majority of the time.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Better than who? Edmunds? Yes but Steelers never would have drafted Leonard for Bush’s roll.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Actually this isn't true. We were arguing this in another thread. At the time, I did a Google search and quickly found two of the first three sites it returned rated Edmunds higher.

You kept maintaining no one had had it this way; I told you to do a search for yourself... I believe you blew me off. :cool:

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    A lot of people definitely wanted Chubbs with all the Bell drama.

I also remember Edmunds being advertised as the Gronk stopper :roflmao: can't even count on him to cover his zone and not get beat over the top.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Literally not one person said to draft Chubbs in rd 1. Guice had a couple of mentions and maybe 1 or 2 wanted a WR but almost all were in agreement that they should go defense with safety and ILB as the top two choices.

14. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    You said this before in other thread and it didn't make a lot of sense to me. @Blast Furnace had pointed out that the fact that you weren't calling for Leonard in that year's draft; your response was that you wanted the Steelers to go ILB 'with their next pick.' That just strikes me as an odd thing to say about their first pick in the draft.

At any rate, it's fine to say you wanted them taking an ILB with that pick (setting aside the inevitable BPA counter theory), but if you didn't have a specific player(s) you wanted the Steelers targeting it's a bit hollow to say you were right about Leonard - especially when both he and Edmunds were considered by most to be reaches at that spot in the draft.

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :popcorn:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm saying I was right about Edmunds being a mistake. Leonard is just one of the options that would have been better. There is nothing hollow about that. I don't see it as odd at all. I saw inside linebacker as a desperate need. I was right about that, too. The Steelers demonstrated that by giving up so much to get one the following season.

Sure, there were other mistakes they could have made there, too, but that doesn't mean Edmunds was the right choice when there were so many better options available to them.

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I posted this over two weeks ago in response to your same request then.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he gave up one TD last year. 2 less then bates in his career and 4 less then reid over the same 3 years. edmunds had his worst year in 2019. last year was quite good. his rookie year he only gave up 1 TD as well. 4 in 2019. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I must have missed the post. My mistake.

By the way, it also has Chubb way ahead of both of them and it has Edmunds right where I said he should have been, a third-round value.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    By no means what he could have done. It just doesn’t seem right to take the money and not give your best effort.

But yes, he did ok.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes

:smiley1:

22. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Right, so every time the Steelers (and fans and media) say they always draft BPA, you know it's complete bollocks.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The guy is going to the Hall of Fame, so yes, he did. If he was a smarter, more focused guy, he could have done more. He's not that guy. It's a little tough to tear the guy down because he isn't Tom Brady.

This is like the people who spent the early part of Mario Lemieux's career complaining about his work habits. He probably was a little lazy in his offseason conditioning early in his career, but that stigma followed him a lot longer than it should have.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Interesting that some of the same people who melted down at some of us for questioning the organization on draft day, were only really upset because in this instance, the Steelers' picks lined up with their opinions.

When they don't, though, I guess they also think they Know More Than Paid Professionals.

:drinks:

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course it is. Worst kept secret.

• Like Like x 1