1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers draft grade

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 1, 2021.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

There already out

• Like Like x 2
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    You will find out how well this draft went quick, because I think your going to a lot of the guys picked get playing time right away.

Especially with Harris, MUTH, and Green

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I think Muth will get a lot of playing time in '21 like Miller did his rookie year in '05. Ebron is the only proven TE on the roster and it wouldn't surprise me if Muth took over the #1 TE spot by mid season. Muth already has better hands than Ebron.... judging by his highlight reels at Penn State.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I would be shocked by that. Ben LOVES Ebron.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ebron doesn't want to block????

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    He definitely stinks at it. But Ben loves throwing to Ebron, even forcing it at times, so I’d be very surprised if Muth took over the #1 spot... I’d love it, but I don’t see it.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They also drafted another OL, he could be their LT, and Jenkins their RT.

8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
  9. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I agree with the B rating. This team had an unusual number of holes for a team that was 11-0 at one point not long ago, and they managed to plug them pretty well. The offense should be better, due to a better running back and tight end, and some fresh blood on oline.
    I do not understand the Big Al signing. His contract must have a lot of performance incentives in there, his play has deteriorated over the last two seasons. I hate to say it but the Steelers oline will be improved by his absence, I know what I saw and he was getting beaten a lot.
    Now if they could ditch Ebron and the newly drafted tight end pans out.......

10. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    The steelers know how to draft. It cracks me up every year to hear all of these fans being critical of our draft picks. I think it's fair to say we draft better than most teams. Sure we occasionally have a stinker but so does everyone else. IMO if our first 2 picks end up being good starters than it's good.

The only time I've been excited about a draft pick was when we took Ben. Now I'm actually excited about this punter. lol So IMO who cares who we take. In reality what we need is a healthy Bush, WR's that can catch, and more improvements from Claypool and Highsmith. The new playbook should fix the running game issues.

The so called experts all hate RB's in the first round . Everyone has graded us based on how many holes are filled. That's not how you grade a draft IMO. I do get the idea that RB is probably not a great use of a first round pick in today's NFL. Given the rules today it's all about passing and defense. You do not need a great RB to win SB's...that's just a fact. BUT you probably also can't be the worst team in the league running the ball. So Harris should be an instant upgrade there. Any ground threat should open things up for the deep ball (assuming Ben can throw one) and this new TE. Play action and screens might actually work now.

We've got holes to fill on the Oline and possibly the secondary. Just because we didn't do that in the draft doesn't mean we still can't plug those holes. FA signings and trades happen. If the coaches and FO feel like we can't go into the season with what we have then they'll make a move. What were the odds of us finding a better starter on the Line with our first 2 picks than what we have now? I think there's better odds finding a solid FA on a 1 year deal. Players get cut for financial reasons...happens every year.

This team has talent. We started out 11-0 with mediocre coaching and good talent on defense. Tomlin never seems to put it all together on the field. Going into the season with that offensive game plan that we had was blatantly stupid. The defense carried us until the injuries did us in. The second we had to lean on the offense they imploded. Hopefully the new OC can give us a more balanced game plan now that we have a RB and TE that can catch. I think we improved our depth and I think we will bring in another O-lineman to compete for the starting job.

11. Cannonball Butler

Cannonball Butler New Member

May 4, 2021
    I like the draft. Grading is hard. Should we grade based on the NFL overall or based on the Steelers need and style?
    I prefer the latter.

To me they went out and got positions of need and the type of players that will fit in with them.

1. Harris - No brainer. Huge need for RB and he is the best in the draft and perfect fit of Steeler RB.

2. Freiermuth- I think he will impact the team a lot in Canada's offense. The Steelers needed a TE #2 especially one more designed to play in and around the box.

3. Green- Regardless if he fits in at center or guard he is the nasty type of player that the Steelers need for the revamped rushing attack. I love his agility.

So right there those 3 picks to me make this a good draft already but the second half is where I think the Steelers did some great things.

4A. Moore- He might come in and take that starting OT job from Chuks. He is good at pass pro and run blocking and can do a lot of learning on the job playing next to Decastro.

4B. Johnson - WOW. He is my favorite draftpick. He is explosive and will be the perfect fir to replace Vince Williams someday soon.

5. Loudermilk - I like him as a pick and I think the Steelers need to groom a player with good upside to replace Heyward but I don't know if they needed to trade to move up and get him. However, since I don't know if they needed to do this I will side with the Steelers.

6. Roche- Another need that is important but not important enough to trump improving the offense and they got GREAT value. I think Roche will excel as the backup to our OLBs and push Highsmith.

7A. Norwood- I didn't know much about Norwood before the Steelers picked him but I like his description as the swiss army knife.

7B. Harvin- Another great pick!!! I hope and pray he takes this job. This is an area of much needed improvement and worth a 7th round draft pick.

So overall I liked the game plan and thought process of the Steelers and the answers they found. Now they need to coach them up and we will see in 3 years... or sooner but as of right now I give them an A.

• Like Like x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

:thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Had to figure there was a reason they moved up, question is did they have to but if there is a player you like and don’t want to lose, you go get them if you can.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Cannot wait for that player to fall to you. If you really value that player, trade up for him.

16. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Difference between NFL.com and ESPN. On NFL.com Harris was a fantastic pick and our draft was first or second in the division. On ESPN you never draft a RB in the first round, Harris was a wasted pick that we could have done in the third or fourth round, and we had the worst draft in the division (Baltimore, BTW, had the worst draft in the division on NFL.com, and the best on ESPN).

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't believe you draft a RB, or Wr in the 1st round either, but 2 say Hes a wasted pick isn't only wrong its kind of Re Re.

18. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Disagree on the overall notion that a certain position should not be taken in Round One... sans kickers and punters. Running Backs and Wide Receivers, if they are good enough, are worthy of their draft slot. Their ability to succeed depends on not just them but the team that they play for. Keep in mind that these players did not draft themselves here; all the more reason I believe that Trevor Lawrence is going to have more growing pains than I initially thought.

Jacksonville's Defense still needs some serious help in the back end as CJ Henderson cannot do it all by himself. For that matter, Shaquill Griffin seems like a nice pickup but the likes of John Cullen (Defensive Coordinator), Bob Sutton (Senior Defensive Assistant who oversaw the horrific 2020 Atlanta Falcons) and Chris Ash (another position coach from a worse situation in the Houston Texans) really is not an ideal. Never mind any of that though as Griffin allowed 6 total TDs in 2020.

How does any of this relate to drafting?! Pick the player and not the position. Something that continually has stood the test of time and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Picking based purely on need and nothing else nets teams players like Dion Jordan, Blaine Gabbert, Artie Burns, Trent Richardson and N'Keal Harry; to name a few.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Agreed. Pittsburgh clearly sees something with him that few of us do not. Hopefully he will develop well. One major advantage he will have, as will all players, is the return of Training Camp. Hopefully this correlates to fewer injuries for the team; soft tissue and muscle/tendon ones doubly so.

21. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    How do you feel about CB in the first?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Wow,
    Getting 4 is the best I ever seen. I was on one other Steeler club board about 15 years ago where a guy got 4 out of 8 (think they had 2 5th rounders) and one of the 10 UDFA. He said it was luck but that is no mistake IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    They do but shouldn't.

24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Maybe Ben will love Muth even more?

• Like Like x 2
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member