1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offensive Line

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, May 1, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Unlikely to find a starter on day 3 or in the scrap heap of post-draft free agency, so this is what the Steelers are looking at in 2021 as their offensive line:

LT: Chuks Okorafor - 4th year below-average graded RT with 19 career starts

LG: Kevin Dotson - Promising 2nd year player with 4 career starts

C option 1: BJ Finney - career swingman with 13 starts at G and C in 6 seasons

C option 2: Kendrick Green - undersized rookie who mostly played G at Illinois

RG: David Decastro - former All Pro coming off his worst season

RT: Zach Banner - 5th year unknown with 2 career starts coming off torn ACL

Swing guard/center: whoever loses the Finney/Green competition

Swing tackle: Joe Haeg, 6 year vet with 38 career starts, 29 of which came his first 2 seasons

Either the Steelers know something we don't know or they're whistling past the graveyard and think one RB and a new OC will fix the run game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I think DD was hurt last year. Green is an animal.

So, Dotson-Green-DeCastro could be very good inside. I think we'll figure out RT, first by hoping that Banner is the guy. I am very concerned about LT though. I'm not an Oko fan.

On the other hand, we're rebuilding, despite what some think, and we can't draft 8 players in 3 rounds. I like who we got.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Has me worried for sure but I always remember the crap the O-line took during the season of our 5th SB. After we won SB Ben even said, "how bout that O-line" since the so called experts talked how weak they were all season. To be fair, Ben spent some time on his ass that season. I think the Eagles set a record for sacks against us that season.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Banner getting good reports he may be stronger and better than before maybe he goes to LT.. Dotson used to be a Tackle so maybe he goes out to RT.Use Finney as the Center with experience.Face it Pouncey has been horrible for 2 or 3 seasons now.Green at LG..DD at RG. Putting OKorafor back on the bench as bu tackle...

I hope they at least try this combo I like the potential better than the 1 you have..

5. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    This is where I'm at - I feel much better about the interior, especially if they turn into a ground and pound offense.

The tackle position is a wing and a prayer. Hope is they mitigate it with offensive scheme, lots of 3rd and shorts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kirkland

Kirkland Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2020

But that was 13 years ago when Ben was way more mobile and they ran Arians’ backyard football offense that consisted of Ben improvising mid-play half the time.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    you forgot aviante collins and rashaad coward were added as well. both can play tackle or guard. two guys from the PS that were really good tackles in college in coyle and walton. collins has one start. coward has 5 starts. coward has played a lot as the 3rd TE/tackle in run situations as well. similar to how we used hawkins last year and adams in the past and banner some in the past. i also don't think green is undersized. 6-4 315. he's bigger then pouncey was. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hassle sure would like to be thought of as well.

9. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    He's a practice squad player, nothing more.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not entirely out of the question

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

The OL will be improved simply by getting rid of Pouncey, and AV neither one got any push in the running game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I have no problem with the line we're putting out there.... Child is a very good pass blocker, and even though he gets no push in the run game, I can see us using frieirmuth to help him out on running plays..... Dotson is the future on the inside and will represent well at lg....... Finney is definitely a better guard than center, but can be a decent placeholder until green is ready..... Decastro played hurt most of last season.... A healthy return should make a world of difference.... Last, but not least, I have more than enough confidence in Banner.... Moore should be good to go..,.. let's give coach klem a chance to put it all together

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think Banner can be a decent starter as long as he is healthy. Okorafor is my primary concern. I think he can hold his own as a pass blocker, but he is just such a liability in the run game. He's athletic, but he just gets pushed around far too often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    There's potential if utilized/coached properly. I'm pessimistic, but I will say that if the stars align and the injury bug stays away, Harris might be able to shift the run/pass ratio into a more respectable balance (even though we all know that we will throw a lot more than run).

• Like Like x 1
  15. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    For 4 of the first 5 games last year (excluding Denver), these were the run and pass attempts:
    30 rushes, 32 pass attempts vs. NYG
    38 rushes, 36 pass vs. Houston
    32 rushes, 34 pass vs. Phil
    37 rushes, 23 pass vs. Cleveland

They did that without Harris.
    So with a lead, and if the injury bug stays away, the team is very capable of a run/pass ratio balance.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Not gonna lie…. Our tackles scare the heck out of me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I guess the coaches know something we don't, they seem to be confident in the two tackles.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    With Ben getting rid of the ball in about 2 seconds, I’m not too concerned with that. Focus is on the ground game and they can only go up from last years unit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Yeah, but they're going to have to expand upon that philosophy if they ultimately want to have a productive running game and balanced offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben will be running a new offense, so he may have to hold the ball a little longer now.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m not so sure it’s a new offense as much as just more of the playbook. Same difference maybe. The hard part is going to get Ben to actually learn more of the playbook.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It's much documented on here it being a big concern of mine.

It is kind of a make or break it thing imo.

So here's to hoping they can find a unit here that works well.

I'm hoping Haeg is an upgrade over Okorafor.

I think we have a glaring hole at the LT position that's going to be exploited.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They scare the heck out of our quarterbacks

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Would like to see the Denver offense of 1997-1998 this year. Run and throw to open receivers on play action.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I would say they give me some concern for certain. Zach Banner though definitely does after coming back from an ACL Injury. Hopefully all goes well for him. Chuks I am a bit more optimistic in although mark that optimism as cautious.