1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bens Successor Draft Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, May 8, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I should name it the way to early Bens Successor Draft Thread but that’s a little wordy :lolol:

There’s some talk that Ben could come back for yet another season in 2022, especially if he does well but I have to think this is it for him. Can use this thread to keep track of who’s rising and falling during next season. Most important draft pick in 18 years.

My early favorite is Malik Willis, tailor made for todays game.

Carson Strong is another one but in the mold of a more traditional pocket passer QB.

Guys like Howell and Rattler will probably be out of reach but a lot can happen in a year.

Who’s your guys, who will you be watching?

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Desmond Ridder for me is my first choice. I would have loved to acquire him in 2021 but it looks like he will be within play via Round One should he improve again. Phil Jurkovec is another one I can recommend. Howitzer cannon for an arm with the dual threat ability to boot as well, he would be a nice compliment to Matt Canada's Offense. Bo Nix is yet another player I can add to the list as both Tomlin and Colbert were on hand for Auburns Pro Day this year. Bo Nix was also in attendance as he gets ready for the 2022 NFL Draft.

Wild Cards?! Tyler Slough is an interesting one for certain. Has slight above average athletic ability but he does possess arguably the most powerful and greatest arm talent among all 2022 QB Class players. Should he prove his worth at Northern Colorado, Dylan McCaffrey is another.... though I doubt he will be within Pittsburgh's First Round plans barring an exceptional 2021. Malik Willis I would add but also as a Wild Card option. Like McCaffrey, Willis is not coming from a big name College.... though that did not stop Colbert from selecting a Future HOF one back in 2004. That said, Willis has not just the arm but the legs to succeed. Another Wild Card is JT Daniels from Georiga. Again, Tomlin and Colbert being there at Georgia's Pro Day is not in the least bit surprising. However, much like Bo Nix, JT was also working out as well.... so he is also someone to keep an eye out for.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Trust me you don't want Nix as your QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Boston College QB Phil Jurkovec

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is native Western Pa kid that was all everything, went to ND and couldn't beat out incumbent??
    Has better measurable than Howell, not nearly as dynamic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I still think they are going to give MR a full season look.

That being said I am not opposed to the idea and will probably make the draft talk next year very interesting...unless the team absolutely fails this year, they will likely be trading up.

7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I appreciate the names and narratives in this thread. Remember most of the recent QB's taken with the first pick (besides this year), were not even on the Radar before they played their last college season. I doubt the team plays loust enough to land in the top 5 picks next year, even top 10. The season will reveal who has the 'goods' (at least in appearance), Draft order will determine how much they may hav to give up to get their guy,

Also I know when Colbert has been signing his one year extensions they have included him being involved until after the draft, I believe I read that his last signing actually said unless re-signed he would not be involved in the draft (could be wrong) We could be looking at a new GM as well.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think it was Kaboly that said he does not believe Colbert will leave the team in this state, with so many unsigned players and the QB situation unresolved.

I don’t think you can bank on that though because why not sign a 2 year extension, why the year to year.

Hopefully he sticks around for one more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ha, hows that for timing. I don’t think the Steelers will finish this low but if they do, I’d hope they move up and grab Malik.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That's great if you get the 2019 version of Slovis, who completed over 70% of his passes, the 2020 version not interested.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I did say Wild Card option!! I never suggested he is the first option I would choose among them. Tyler Slough is actually the one I would love to have among the options I listed; Malik Willis being the second. That said, Ridder is still high on my list; doubly so if he performs well in 2021.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Slough has a lot to prove this season, he got benched by Oregon at the end of last season, that's why he transferred to Texas Tech.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    What teams...Beside us, Will be looking for a QB next year... Atlanta for sure, Houston? WFT? NO?

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Mills is a pretty good prospect, i just do not trust Houston to develop him. His leg is a concern, but given time to heal and in the right system he could surprise.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Possible teams:
    Houston(if things go bad look for them to add somebody. Probably pick top 5)
    Saints(I doubt Hill or Winston are the answer)
    Falcons(Matty Ice is done)
    Panthers(not holding my breath on Darnold. Probably a top 5-8 pick)
    Lions(don't think Goff is their long term guy and will prob have another high pick)
    Washington(They have nothing)
    Broncos(whole lotta back ups on that team)
    Giants(if Jones doesn't show any real growth this year)
    Steelers(obviously)

• Like Like x 1
  17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I wonder if they will look outside of the power 5 conferences in their search. Obviously Ben came from the MAC but the Colbert/Tomlin tandem seem to rely on the power 5 for their 1st rounders. I guess if the player really outshined his competition in those other conferences he'd get a look.

Take the QB from Coastal Carolina, Grayson McCall, who will be a redshirt sophomore at the end of the next college season. Same year as Trey Lance this year. 6'3 200 and pretty good athlete. Most if not all his snaps are from the shotgun though, but still a name to watch his sophomore year.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm really not in love with the 2022 QB class. They might surprise me this season and change my mind.

The guy that has me the most interested is Clemson sophomore D.J. Uiagalelei

HACK

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Barring injury, Sam Howell NC. We should be all in and should have draft
    capital and salary cap to compete for such player.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe by the time the College season plays out ...a lot will be changing their minds on who they want.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    brock purdy iowa state. :cool:

22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Matt Campbell > Poopcorn...yeah, I'm still salty.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed he did.

That said, should he play well, I have a hard time seeing him no lower than Top 20. Keep in mind this is all assuming that all will go well for him.

... ugh.... realized it is Tyler Shough... not Slough... :facepalm:

24. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Pronounced SHUCK.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Shucks, I missed an open man
    Shucks, I threw an interception
    Shucks, I fumbled the ball

I don’t like it :nea: