1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Marcus Allen

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rollers, May 9, 2021.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Being a big PSU fan I'm interested in someone's take on Marcus Allen. Sorry if this has been discussed before but is there any hope of him being a larger contributor to the defense? I believe he was a safety at PSU but the Steelers are trying to make him a linebacker. Would appreciate any insight on him that anyone could share

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I hope with the drafting of Buddy Johnson we don't have to see Allen trying to play ILB, he's too small, I don't think he's a lock to make the roster at safety either.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Was hoping they'd have him gain some weight and try ILB full time. Gutsy effort last year playing through a shoulder injury.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I remember when Edmunds was the Gronk stopper. We can't even count on him to be where he needs to be and cover his space.

Marcus Allen saw some more PT towards the end of the season. Didn't do much. He's the teams hypeman, that's about it.

5. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    He still plays ST right?

6. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    With Vince and Spillane coming back, along with drafting buddy, it's doubtful that he makes the team.... Before being moved to ilb, he never even sniffed the field at safety.... His time in black and gold is probably over

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Hope he makes it. I know him and his fam personally.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    you're probably right. To bad I like seeing the kids from PSU succeed in the NFL

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think his primary challenge is identify at a position. The move from safety to LB was kind of a desperation move.

I agree he most likely will be the odd man out eventually.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think they view Allen as a piece they can play in the box in sub packages. Plays ST too. I would be surprised if he didn't make the team. Has two position versatility, but likely only sees the field on defense situationally or through injury.

Last year was tough bc they played him at ILB due to our team basically being decimated by injury late in the year and it wasn't good for our run defense. Its not entirely fair to Allen though as he was basically thrust into a role that we never really intended him to play. We just lost 3 ILB's at the same time to injury and Allen was what was left. It's a good sign for him that they counted on him instead of Ulysses Gilbert. Would imagine that he has a pretty tight hold on the 4/5 ILB slot with the added bonus of being a ST guy. Not a lock by any means, but should be a member of the 53 next season.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Gonna be another great camp battle... Miles Killebrew is basically Allen, and Mark Barron before him...And the rookie they drafted...Should make for some good competition!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would imagine Antoine Brooks will be fighting for the same position with Marcus to make the team.

I feel Marcus would have been a good strong safety in the 90s, but now those guys don't have much of a place in the league?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It may be tough sledding for Marcus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Signing Killebrew and drafting Buddy Johnson should be the end of Allen as a Steeler. They push him down to sixth on the depth chart at inside linebacker, and we haven't really seen him show that he can play safety at the pro level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    I think Marcus has a better chance the crack the 53 than UGIII ...because the often injured UGIII has turned-out to be absolutely worthless

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Good take. The kid did what was asked of him and even though the results were poor, it illustrated he was willing to what they asked of him, for the good of the team. He might not stick with the Steelers, but they likely will put in a good word for him and maybe he can latch on with another team, or at least get on a PS roster.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I didn't really account for Killebrew, but yeah kinda similar situation. Mark Barron was a starting caliber player. He was a LB/S hybrid, but he was a legitimate option to play at ILB where I dont think Allen or Killebrew are considered anything other than sub package pieces/depth and ST. I did, however, account for Buddy Johnson. I view Bush and Spillane as starters and Williams likely top backup. Johnson, Allen, and Killebrew are competing for the 4th and 5th ILB spot (assuming they dont view Killebrew as a S only). Hopefully Johnson shows some ability and becomes ILB4 leaving it up to Allen and Killebrew to battle it out. Its not a guaranteed spot, but I would assume that Allen wins the last spot and makes it on the back end of the team.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'm pulling for him. He was pushed into playing last year. I'm sure they were trying to bring him along more slowly but injuries were bad.

We'll see.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    As a former Zip player myself, who'd love to see a fellow alumni make the team, even I will agree with your assessment of UGIII. I think we're wasting time and athletic tape on him at this point. Besides, not sure what all the hub bub was about with him since we only had the smallest of sample sizes to judge him by. Although there were some very small flashes he showed, your best ability is you availability.

20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I like Marcus Allen, I am a PSU fan as well.

Here is his problem, too big and not quite fast enough to be a starting Safety at the NFL level.

Too small to be a Inside Line Backer other than situational use as NFL linebacker.

He is basically a hybrid. I feel he is a good special teams player, which those guys have their use and they can play a lot of years in the NFL.

But, he works his tail off, his best bet is try to be like Mark Barron was, but even Mark Barron had his issues, he was no 3 down Inside Line Backer at the NFL either.