1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Analyzing the botched 2018 draft.... Tomlin at work

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, May 8, 2021.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Good table. Interesting that so many people were amped up to try and trade up for Vander Esch and Evans, and they weren’t even valued highly enough by their franchises to exercise the option. In fact, if you check out PFF’s grades as an “unbiased” ranking of performance on all snaps, Edmunds was “average” at 70 last year, while both of those LBs were in the low 50’s, which is poor. I don’t go all-in on PFF grades, but they’re not completely off the mark.

• Like Like x 2
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I wasn't aware that Tomlin makes the draft picks all by himself, I thought Colbert was the GM :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You think I should just be your whipping boy? Thats cute.

Keep up this tack of insulting and antagonizing mods, that has worked out so well for board members all over the world.

You’re too thick to realize you got a freebie on draft night.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think he’ll be around 15, he lacks speed. If he had that, he’d be top 10 for sure.

5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    “First off, we all need to agree this was a clear cut Tomlin pick. Nobody in the Steelers scouting department would have seriously looked at Edmunds.”

No, we can’t actually. Colbert is Tomlin’s boss and Colbert is in charge of drafting. If Colbert told Tomlin “hey, do whatever you want with this first round pick, scouts be damned” then it’s still Colbert’s fault.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Are you not paying attention? Yes, 1st round picks are bust all the time. I listed everybody drafted at the position from late 2nd to the 5th and they all have similar production. At least 7 players. I think 2-3 could've been projects and probably been just as good if given the time Edmunds did here. I've never seen a team miss so poorly at a drafting a position especially the Steelers where they could have literally drafted anybody else on the board at that position in the late 2nd to 5th and got similar production. That's a huge miss.

Edmunds - Average.

Washington - Never used properly and what was the point if we're going to draft a WR every year then cave to Juju.

Rudolph - Complete waste of losing MB. Veteran back-up wins us more games.

Chuks - Might be solid.

Allen - Doesn't play.

Samuels - Looks solid and doesn't play. Then we waste picks on the position every draft after. He's probably gone soon too.

That was a horrible draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they are all still on the roster.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Thanks for noticing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Yes I'm paying attention. You posted the statement, "Have the Steelers ever missed so poorly?" Thor replied, "Yes". I qualified his reply by posting they missed way worse, many times.

My personal opinion is that a draft year can't really be evaluated until those players careers' are complete. Until then, I think ripping on a draft where careers are ongoing is a study in futility. But hey, knock yourself out.

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah . I don't think it was a overall bad draft, but I'm not sure T. Edmunds is worth a 2nd round pick even. I'm not sure if S. Davis and T. Edmunds draft picks were flipped they wouldn't have gotten rid of Edmunds 1st.
    I'm of a low majority on here that think Mason can be pretty good. So just that pick makes the Draft seem good 2 Me.
    Before anyone says anything about T. Edmunds, and Me hating him.
    I Hate nobody, and You can D@mn well believe I hope he gets better.
    I actually said when a cousin said it was a dumb pick in the 1st after the draft.....I said the front office knows more than you, and I don't think it's bad at all.
    Believe it , or not.
    Now like I said ...
    Not sure I'd give a 2nd, or 3rd round pick on him.
    Of course hindsight is
    20/20.

11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Good post!! I think one year we went 13-3 and had like 7-8 pro bowlers only to lose in the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    SDOT threads are pure entertainment for the off-season. I agree with some of his views. Watching my fellow Steelers fans bicker and argue is hilarious.

Steelers are in rebuilding mode. Whether you like it or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    :facepalm:
    :hehehe: Couldn't resist Heinz.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Go ahead, poke the bear, I double dog dare you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Hmm... you sure?!

Even if he lacks speed, his size and length more than make up for it. Fine tuning his instincts is all that remains for him. Should he do that, he will be an instant impact rookie the moment he declares.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    How can anyone be sure about a draft spot but I don’t think he goes top 10.

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Fair enough!!

I suppose we shall have to wait and see! :drinks:

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Have a long time! Lol

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I am content with it personally!!

The timing in it of itself has given me a perfect reasoning to start my 2022 Early Big Board Write Ups.

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I think it's SDOT that doesn't realize they are rebuilding. Apparently, the Steelers not drafting a future HoF'er every year, every round is an epic fail.

• Like Like x 4
  21. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020

No, Leonard is better at this point

Its called trading down a few spots, picking up extra picks

All good

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    SDOT is an epic fail.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    So insults on these boards are not against the rules, unless they happen to occur against certain people?

Noted.

24. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Personal attack shouldn't happen at all, but walking things back takes one step at a time. If the mudslinging originates from a poster who has been warned previously, that's the level you begin with.

In short, you have the ability to change things. But it requires you to act with respect to the rest of the board. Something you've shown incapable of, because to you, your commentaries are perfectly fine with all board standards and rules, even if entirely disregarding them. Look in the mirror before point the finger.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You claim you won't criticize the picks because you don't know as much as the people making the picks, but then you criticize the people developing those talent even though they also have far more information about the players than you. That is not consistent.

It's not a crap shoot. It's not a perfect science, but teams can make better or worse selections. It is absolutely fair to criticize them when they fail, especially when it was clear to others at the time that they failed. That was the case with Edmunds.

• Like Like x 1