1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a better backup RB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, May 2, 2021.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I loved the TE pick. I thought that was a huge need and Friermuth is the right type of player. I prefer those type of TE's over the Ebron's of the world, but both have their place.

I understand that if Harris was the guy they wanted, they couldn't trade down and guarantee he would be there. They took him where they had to... I just am down on early RB's in general bc of the short career span and overall lack of impact the position brings compared to others. You don't need to have a great RB to have a good running game. I would have much preferred CB or T, but it is what it is. Harris better ball out. We really need him to.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    All but one of your scary guys were taken in the first or second round. Henry, Cook, Chubb, and McCaffrey all went higher than the Steelers' second-round pick in this year's draft. One reason we have to watch Chubb be scary for the Browns is the Steelers foolishly passed on him for Edmunds. Perhaps they learned from that mistake.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Don't worry, We have Popcorn as a HC!...He WILL get his wheels run off! We had DeAngelo Williams and Blount as backups, and they hardly played ( and they're 10 times better than Snell ) Whata ya think they're gonna do!

4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Or hell, sign Frank Gore to play his 85th season...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    "Just a guy" doesn't mean "not good", but the Steelers are pinning their hopes on this guy. He'd better be generational. And yes, draft picks aren't only for one season, so this is a curious top draft pick for a team that has less than half its roster under contract for 2022.

6. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Hyde is 30

7. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Thanks Mr. Google. He's also been on 6 different rosters in 7 years. Not sure why you're pimping him as a meaningful backup RB option.

8. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Because he's better than anything we have :shrug:

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Same talent but older. Steelers are better off with what they have over him.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I know I am the exception on this but I believe Mason is better right now than Ben. He doesn't have the limitations that Ben had late last year and I think maybe people are still clinging on the former healthier Ben of the past. KC still is not sure if this will be Ben's last year or not so who knows what lies ahead. I hope this team will play whomever is best to help us win and not because of some loyalty thing.

11. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Not sure I'd agree with better. Maybe same. It's funny we're talking about a 2nd or 3rd string RB on an offense that hasn't been a threat to run the ball since Bell was here LOL. Guys like Hyde are a dime a dozen.

12. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I think we all hope they will play the QB who gives them the best chance of winning. If you think that is Rudolph, well then I'll just have to disagree. He has shown very little proof that he is a starting caliber NFL QB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I think you will be surprised by Mason ...Knox, and I hope he sticks around, and They give him a chance when Ben is done.

14. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    We picked him in the first for a reason. He's going to be a workhorse next year. 70 yrs a game sounds pretty reasonable.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Last season, in the first 5 games the Steelers had 30+ runs in 4 of the games.

So if the Steelers get a lead and the run game is improved from last season, there is every reason to believe Ben will allow 30+ runs a game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You and I define "just a guy" differently, which is fine. Claiming that he better be generational is just more of you framing this in an unfair way to support your claim that the Steelers made a bad pick there.

It's not curious at all. Even if you assume he will only help for the next four or five years, do you really think the Steelers are planning on being bad/rebuilding that long? Does that sound at all like this organization's approach?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Of course they're not planning on it taking that long, but they didn't plan on it taking 20 years to replace Bradshaw, either.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You are the exception because Rudolph hasn't shown anything that supports your claim. He's not good. He probably won't ever be good. Their best shot is to play Roethlisberger and hope he stays healthy, which is a serious long shot. I still think many of those limitations last season were due to the knee injury he suffered against Dallas. That seemed to take away his mobility and force the team into playing from the shotgun almost every down. That needs to change this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    One way to help the transition at quarterback is to find a running game. They can't do that with the backs they had. Harris can help them get there, though we may see more of that in 2022 and beyond because the repairs to the offensive line are going to take at least another year.

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Eh, Hyde was only ever good when he had Jekyll as a lead blocker.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with everything, but Mason. Have you ever broke down his college, and NFL game tapes? Just asking.
    He is better than some that have been draft in the 1st round since he's been picked. Of course some will laugh at this, but they know they haven't looked really into it.
    I Hope Ben plays, but I hope Mason sticks around after .

22. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I'd happily eat my words, or crow, or whatever if that means Rudolph finally shows up. Time will tell!

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    That was the thread! That's why I talked about it, because it was a backup RB thread, I talked about a backup RB...Sorry it's such a sore spot with you...I promise not to comment on it again,So as to not upset you!

• Like Like x 1
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Are you suggesting they should've drafted Chubb in the first round, while Bell was still on the team?

25. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Benny Snell lol...No speed or elusiveness