1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Analyzing the botched 2018 draft.... Tomlin at work

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, May 8, 2021.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Terrell Edmunds 2866 defensive snaps. Coverage %. Year1. 59.5% 2. 72%. 3. 55.6%. Gave up 6TDs.

Jesse Bates 3286 defensive snaps. Year 1. 63.3%. 2. 62.5%. 3. 54.3%. Gave up 8 TDs.

Justin Reid 2711 defensive snaps. 1. 65.1%. 2. 62.5%. 3. 69.2%. Gave up 10 TDs.

so bates has more tackles and interceptions but has played a ton more plays since his offense was bad but gave up more tds. His completion % against isn't really any better at all.

Reid is by far worse in tds against and completion against %.

Edmunds after you really check out the stats is better. This beating he takes on here is really from people not actually checking out the facts.:cool:

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Unfortunately, Tomlin is in over his head. Kinda like Edmund's draft position. Franchise gifted, but too stupid...

• Like Like x 2
  3. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Good stuff. I am guilty of having a h@rd on for Edmunds mainly because I think I always see him trailing badly all the time as well as his draft position.

4. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I'm not going to buy into the OP's blather. The pick was made, it's water over the dam. For better or worse, Terrell Edmunds is a Steeler. The thing these stats don't illustrate is what we see. That he often takes poor angles to ball carriers. At times his tackling technique stinks. At this stage of his career, to me, he seems to have poor anticipation, poor instincts. He has shown improvement each season. But, he takes a beating because he doesn't play up to a first round pick's grade. Again, as I've said before, that's not his fault. He works hard, seems like a great person and I'd love nothing more than for him to "figure it all out". I just don't see it based on his play to date.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's stats my friend.
    Go by your own eyes, and watch every TD we gave up last year....from the snap 2 the TD. Use frame advance if need be. Then come back and talk 2 me.
    I promise I'm not trying 2 be an A$$, but I know what, MY eyes see.
    Also I believe he was a LITTLE bit better last year, but if hes not a little bit better this year.
    Well....everyone's opinion are their own , So...

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Are you ever happy?:icon e wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

8. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    WE ARE DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    And when we're not, We definitely are DDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What my eyes tell me and what the stats tell me is that he is not nearly as bad as he is made out to be. He’s just not what you’d hope for out of a first rd pick. But, he was pick 28, not 15 so :shrug:

If he can take another step forward this year, he could yet live up to a pick 28.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed, but optimistic

• Like Like x 3
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

If he makes a Pro Bowl this season he will have met the expectations. Should he become an All Pro (First or Second being irrelevant) he will have effectively outplayed his draft stock.

People need to understand that becoming a Top 20 pick vs. becoming a first round pick are two entirely different concepts. For that matter, it is two entirely different levels of skill. If anything, take a look at this;

[​IMG]

These are the list of players who's options were picked up from Terrell's 2018 Class. The only players within the Top 20 picks that have not received their fifth year options were both Josh Rosen and Leighton Vander Esch. For that matter, Vander Esch is likely to be traded at some point before the season now that the team has both Micah Parsons and Jabril Cox. Other players like RaShaan Evans who seem like they could obtain another contract, likely have a replacement on their end in Monty Rice. Taven Bryan and Mike Hughes woefully underperformed on their status. Again though, 21-32 is boom or bust territory and not meant to be anything more than that.

Among the defensive players listed in the range of 21-32, Terrell has outperformed every single one; Evans included. For that matter, outside of DJ Moore, Lamar Jackson, Calvin Ridley and Isaiah Wynn, Terrell Edmunds does not have a succession plan to move on from him by his team in comparison to the other players within the pick range of 21-32.

In short?! Terrell is likely going to be locked up. How much though will be interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I feel your pain...:drinks:

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :drinks:

I’ll drink to that. Hell, I’ll drink to anything.

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    No, it didn't.

No, we don't.

[citation needed]

I'm glad your hindsight is measuring 20/20 like everyone else's. But, on the Tomlin & his mom thing: [citation needed]

More hindsight.

Yes.

We've drafted as badly when Tomlin was not part of the organization. In years prior to online businesses. So what empty, slandered label are we slapping on them? Regardless, the Steelers are one of the most successful franchises in league history. I'd hate to know what that makes other teams' drafting practices using your logic.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    You never disappointment with your insight, Thor. I love your work.

But just to expand, mainly because I'm bored and waiting to watch dirt track racing on FB:

To quote the OP; "Have the Steelers ever missed so poorly?" Ever hear of Huey Richardson? John Rienstra? Tom Ricketts? No? Most of the NFL Universe hasn't. All former Steeler first round draft picks by Chuck Noll and his staff. All busts. Richardson was a nuclear bust of near galactic proportions. He was completely useless as a pro and was out of the league without ever having played a snap in a regular season game. Edmunds shouldn't even be mentioned in his company. His only sin, for lack of a better term, was being drafted earlier than he should have been. And for as much as I have reservations about what his top end might be, he's still a serviceable professional football player whose story is still being written.

If this thread were a draft pick, it wouldn't get chosen even as a UDFA.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed. I think it is likely he will be extended unless there is a drop off in play this season.

But on the chance they do move on from him, keep your eye on Kyle Hamilton, safety out of Notre Dame. Going to be a good one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    2018 draft has produced players that are heading into their 4 season all have seen significant game time.

Only their 7th round pick is no longer with the team. Can't get much better than that.

upload_2021-5-8_22-46-31.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Umm... yeah Blast... about Kyle.. :(

He is rated a Top 10 player on my board for the 2022 Class.... so.... I do not think that will happen barring EXTREME circumstances or an IMMENSE setback from him. That Said, the safety depth in 2022 will not disappoint either. A good season from a player like Daxton Hill would definitley help.

20. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Can you recognize trolls?

21. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I think I agree with SDOT.

I haven't seen any of Tomlin's favorites from the Northern VA/DC/Maryland area do well. SDOT might be right.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

How much a draft contributes constitutes how successful they have been. Yes, the ideal goal is that said draft class helps ones team win a Super Bowl but if that is not the case, having good production is. The 2018 Steelers Class is severely condemned due in part to the severely misinformed and/or contrarion views (i.e. a player that the Steelers have little to no information for vs. a player the Steelers did.) Such cases, are again, what got the Steelers Artie Burns. For that matter, the drafting of Darius Leonard would have been no different as he is essentially Vince Williams anyways given how his play style and strengths correlate to the field. The Steelers did not need another Vince but another dynamic Linebacker; something the team could not do because of their draft slot.

As such, they went for the next best option as Mike Mitchell was gone and Sean Davis was moved to Free Safety. Morgan Burnett was supposed to supplant the role of Strong Safety but his injury woes cropped up again; pressing Terrell into action sooner than he should have been. Terrell has taken his lumps but he finally was able to put it all together in 2020. In addition, he is only 24 Years of Age; ridiculously young for a fourth year player.

Will Terrell become an All Pro?! I doubt it. A
    What about Pro Bowler?! I would not bet against it. What of Mason Rudolph?! While I do not believe he is the answer, I do believe he is the bridge for the next one...... whomever that may be. Overall, from Terrell Edmunds to Mason Rudolph, all four of the top picks have contributed in some way; some better than others.

Due to that virtue, one can actually declare the 2018 Class a success as players from that draft assisted the Steelers from 2018 to 2020.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Imagine a forum moderator not only encouraging, but joining in on troll replies.

Your lack of intelligent rebuttals speaks volumes.

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah pretty easy with this guy.

25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Right on cue Glenn. So glad you are here to ctiticize posters for posting stuff you don't agree with. Some people aren't happy unless they're telling other people what they should and shouldn't write on an internet MB :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2