1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Analyzing the botched 2018 draft.... Tomlin at work

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, May 8, 2021.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I was replying to a comment then I realized how bad this really was and deserved it's own thread. First off, we all need to agree this was a clear cut Tomlin pick. Nobody in the Steelers scouting department would have seriously looked at Edmunds. But you know Tomlin.... VA player and went to college with his mom Cookie.

This is every safety drafted in order...

1st round. 28th pick - Terrell Edmunds.

COMB - 251
    AST - 78
    Sack - 2.0
    INT - 3
    YDS - 46
    TD - 0

2nd round. 54th pick - Jessie Bates 3.

COMB - 320
    AST - 98

Sack - 0
    INT - 9
    YDS - 87
    TD - 1

3rd round. 68th pick - Justin Reid.

COMB - 230
    AST - 60
    Sack - 2.0
    INT - 5
    YDS - 183
    TD - 1

3rd round. 82nd pick - Tracy Walker.

COMB - 211
    AST - 47
    Sack - 1
    INT - 2
    YDS - 0
    TD - 0

3rd round. 93rd pick - Ronnie Harrison.

COMB - 141
    AST - 49
    Sack - 4
    INT - 4
    YDS - 127
    TD - 1

3rd round. 95th pick - Taravrius Moore.

Decent but not comparable to rest. Could've been project.

4th round. 109 pick - Troy Apke.

Decent but not comparable to rest. Could've been project.

4th round. 117th pick - Jordan Whitehead.

COMB - 209
    AST - 55
    Sack - 2
    INT - 3

YDS - 0
    TD - 0

4th round. 119th pick - Kyzir White.

COMB - 134
    AST - 47
    Sack - .5
    INT - 2
    YDS - 0
    TD - 0

4th round. 124th pick - Armani Watts.

5th round. 146th pick - Tre Flowers.

COMB - 196
    AST - 39
    Sack - 2
    INT - 3

YDS - 0
    TD - 0

5th round. 148th pick - Marcus Allen.

Worst stats of them all to this point.

So up to the Marcus Allen pick. We spent the most draft capital on the position a 1st and 5th. You could argue out of the 12 drafted.. We got the absolute worst and 5th worst. Given draft position and similar production we could have got 7 different players on Edmunds level. We could have literally waited until the 3rd or 4th and drafted anybody other then who we did and came out better.

I won't even get into Tomlin wasting the Bryant pick on Rudolphn. When we had Dobbs and Hubbard, Gallup, Andrews, and Smith still on the board.

Have the Steelers ever missed so poorly? Where they spend a 1st round pick on somebody and similar production could have been gotten by 7 different players drafted after and in the 5th round. This is what happens when you run a sports franchise like your online business and just hiring all the homies.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Listening to the Terrible Podcast talk about it now. Forget safety, look at all the other players they passed on, including Lamar Jackson, Darius Leonard (another huge need that year), Courtland Sutton, and for you RB fans - Nick Chubb.

BPA my bright red rosy.

Re: Mason, Mark Andrews was sitting right there at another position of need. Or Orlando Brown instead of Okorafor a few picks later.

Brutal, brutal draft, but can't criticize because they are paid professionals and we're just people on a message board.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    BPA? :roflmao: you could argue he's like the 7th best safety in that draft. Given production and draft capital.

Tomlin screwed this draft all up. From Edmunds to Rudolph. Then they don't even use Washington correctly. Samuels looks decent against Pats then never sees the field again. Just to draft a RB in every draft after. Then Frazier was another homie pick. Alabama coach swore by him.

This organization has become a complete **** show under Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    And the post below yours :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    You never know what you're getting when you draft a player so its a crap shoot. There are plenty of busts to go around from multiple teams with their 1st rd picks so we're not a special case IMO. I don't criticize who we pick because I don't know diddly compared to those who are doing the picking. I contend that we usually have the talent to compete and win with anybody but are incompetent in developing, maximizing, and utilizing this talent effectively. Over the years, I believe we've had more talent on our team then the team who wins the SB and ask why does this keep happening? I don't know if there is an answer but I just wonder.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Another thread telling us how bad we suck. :facepalm:
    Some people aren’t happy unless they’re unhappy.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    It was a bad draft but this topic has been done to death. Every team has these from time to time.

The Saints had a historic draft in 2017, probably the best in modern times. They followed it up in 2018 with an absolute stinker, similar to the Steelers.

There were definitely better players there and I still don’t understand the Edmunds pick but I don’t think it was a particularly deep draft to begin with.

Very few teams (if any) consistently nail the draft. I can’t think of any anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It’s this guys M.O. to rile everyone up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    You really can't compare Edmond's stats with safeties picked after him. There are too many variables. Those guys with better stats might not have done nearly as well in our scheme. They might not have done as well had they been asked to play Robin to our Batman (Minkah). Sure, these guys we passed on might have don't just as well on our team, maybe even considerably better. They also could've been horrible on this team. We'll never know for sure.

There's also the fact that Tomlin's only crystal ball at that time was his copy of the Styx album of that title. At that moment in history Edmunds was considered the best choice for THIS team at THAT time. Likewise in one moment of my personal history marrying the woman I did in 1979 seemed like a good idea. I was wrong and placed her on waivers.

The draft isn't an exact science. Mistakes are made. You live with those mistakes and move on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I still contest that Edmunds wasn't as big as a reach as people make out. I think he would have went in the 2nd round, and been gone before the next pick. JMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hopefully you had a good backup wife. :thumbs_up:

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup. When you pull up that draft and look at who was available, only Leonard made sense.

Every GM would be a genius if they could draft with hindsight.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    :beathorse:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Actually, wasn't KC friends with Edmunds' Dad or something like that?

I think they go way back? Not sure it was all on Tomlin ... I remember KC sort of gushing after the pick.

The thing that makes me the most mad about the drafts over the last 10 years or so is the fact that we drafted 3 QB's during Ben's reign. Waste of picks IMHO. Those could have been 3 players playing different positions that could have helped this team. That, and the refusal to draft an absolute run stuffer in the middle of the defense. We essentially have 3 DE's on our front 7. It kills me to see that.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    If the Steelers were wasting picks, they have plenty of company.
    The Patriots drafted 10 QBs during Brady's time there, with half of them in the last 10 years or so.
    The Patriots were doing it more often, and in earlier draft rounds.

Davey (4th round 2002), Kingsbury (6th 2003), Cassel (7th 2005), O'Connell (3rd 2008), Robinson (7th 2010),
    Mallett (3rd 2011), Garoppolo (2nd 2014), Brissett (3rd 2016), Etling (7th 2018), and Stidham (4th 2019)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Hell was just listening to Mcshay and Kiper's recaps on the draft, with all the back slapping and high fives they should be NFL GM's, all that and not one player has NFL dirt on their uniforms

• Like Like x 2
  18. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020

Yup, Leonard WAS the pick. So they then blow huge capital to move up for Bush in 19

Rather than taking leonard or, gasp, move up a handful of spots for Vanderesch

2019 draft could've been used more wisely if they do either above, but

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not this :poopy: again, OP has too much time on his hands :facepalm:.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020

No he wasn't lol. Even the talking heads knew it 1 sec after Edmunds name was called. Called a reach then n they were correct

But that ship is in the middle of the ocean now

• Like Like x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    No other team was taking Leonard in the first round, but the Steelers was supposed to :shrug:, at least Edmunds was a good ht/wt fast athlete.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Leonard is not Devin Bush, he runs a slow 4.70. They moved up for Bush’ speed and athleticism because it allowed Butler to run the defense the same as they did with Shazier.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    All these Steelers fans with hindsight on Leonard, no team was taking a slow ILB from a small school in the first round.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually, it is still just a look at me post. Nothing more.

And based on the numbskulls agreeing with you should tell you how dumb the post is.

This is a respectable message board. Please don’t drag it down.

• Like Like x 2
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Unfortunately, Edmunds just never had the smarts. Kind of like Ben. Athletically gifted, but flat out dumb.